Bulldog0156
Well-known member
Deer hunt unless your only intention for elk scouting is to figure out access.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Not much saltwater opportunity in Montana.Montana > Washington in every way.
Shot across the bow!Montana > Washington in every way.
You must not have tried seafoodMontana > Washington in every way.
Seafood isn't anything that makes Washington state better than Montana. At least not to me. mtmuleyYou must not have tried seafood
It’s alright. I would definitely do it again. I will award Washington 1 point for saltwater fishing. @HemYou must not have tried seafood

Anybody who doesn't like eating LingCod or halibut i dont understand.It’s alright. I would definitely do it again. I will award Washington 1 point for saltwater fishing. @Hem
View attachment 418580
A dare you to kill a limit of chukar in MontanaIt’s alright. I would definitely do it again. I will award Washington 1 point for saltwater fishing. @Hem
View attachment 418580
I’m built more for river bottom whitetails. Does Washington have any of those?A dare you to kill a limit of chukar in Montana
Have you been to the area before where you will be elk hunting? If not, I would say go scout, not necassirally for animals. Look at roads and access, what trailheads have a bunch of camp spots that look like they have been used recently. You can verify motorized trail dates as they are listed on onx, are the trails 5' wide and looks heavilly travelled. Look for some good glassing points, water sources, etc. If you know there is a lot of water you know you don't need to pack a bunch and can move fast, if no water you know you will extra weight so you can allow more time to hike into glassing area. If there ar BMA's in the area take a drive and see if it looks like good country. A lot to look at scouting other than where the elk are, as many have said they will probably move. The last thing you can find a good burger joint for after your packout your elk, good luck.
That’s a tough one. As a fellow eastern Washington guy, I love hunting the scablands as well. If you get the chance to hunt the last weekend of deer season though, I’d probably lean towards elk scouting. How many days of elk hunting have you allotted?
I love hunting it because most people are clueless how to hunt it. It’s an ambush game mixed with glassing. People just walk around and stand in the open. My prayer, I know this sounds terrible, is that no one kills the buck I saw last year. I named him Claude and he was on the list this year until I got bumped down the list. The biggest non-typical I’ve seen on the hoof. I bumped him off a cliff in high wind while working the edges in a high wind. I nearly stepped on him, literally. He exploded out, and never stopped. I searched all day for him. He was smart. He had to have buried himself in a hole. I was sure I had him. I can still see his two front trident forks.I've seen pics of your "Mediocre" scabland deer. I'm pretty sure you have that gig figured out.
If I wasn't too tight to play NR in Washington, I would be there. I love all the coulees and basalt cliffs.
Then I would head to Montana
Like 4... MaybeI’m built more for river bottom whitetails. Does Washington have any of those?