What weight merino for September elk?

I went on a hunt last year the first week of September when the temperatures were in the 80s to low 90s. I took a Smartwool 150 tee and a Firstlite Wick Quarter Zip to switch off each day as my primary layer. I was really impressed with how the Firstlite did in the hot weather.

When I went back the first week of October with rain and temps in the 40s, I took the Wick Quarter Zip and a Smartwool Merino 250 zip neck. I wound up wearing the Firstlite most of the time on the second trip. I was impressed again. It can handle hot temperatures, it can handle cooler temperatures, and it stood up well to some pretty nasty brush. So, I would not hesitate to recommend the Firstlite Wick Quarter Zip.

150wt will be a good compromise between durability and dry time. I find that the 200+ weight merino dries too slowly and holds too much moisture against my skin.
Your baselayers job isn't to keep you warm anyway, at least in a static heat retention sense. It's primary job is moisture transport/management and comfort against the skin.

I use merino from about April to September. In colder temperatures I switch to synthetics in order to minimize the chilling effect of too much retained moisture.

My NM hunt at 10k ft last year i was in a Merino t shirt at noon and once the sun went down i had the 350 sanctuary layers on. Crazy place lol

So I'm going on a mule deer/elk hunt out west in 2021, and am looking at Kuiu. I'm unfamiliar with size and what all I need. Any thoughts?

Cotton turtle neck, long sleeve cotton outer shirt, Levi's jeans.

Wait, this picture was the end of October. For September forget the turtle neck. :D
qfbKqvsl.jpg
This is my fav picture on this whole damn site.... fml. Id buy ya beer and even a whiskey or two.

Kuiu merino is good stuff. I dont leave home with out the zip off bottoms. Life changing..

150 worn (boxers and short sleeve) and 250 packed (long sleeve and LJs) worked for me with temps ranging from 85 to 20s.

I had thought about getting some First Lite camo. Or Kuiu. Do you know much about either of them?
I am not the person to ask about technical clothing. Having said that, I only buy from Idaho based companies when possible. That means First Lite or Kryptek for me.

I really like the zip-off bottoms.

Personally I like 190-210 with a half zip to really open things up if it gets warm. I bought a 145 merino ls shirt from kuiu a month ago and I ended up tearing the thing to shreds the very first time I wore it. Currently waiting to see if they will warranty it. Very very thin, and I wasn't busting through brush all day either. I spent over 100$ on a shirt that I got to wear once. Not to happy with that so make sure you know what you are buying before you spend too much douqh on it.

I'm running closer to a 190 or 200 weight merino wool base layer, but I also use it for white tail hunting when its below zero in the Midwest. However on top of it I have a lightweight polyester Sitka hoody. (Decided to go to a hiking brands website and buy merino wool base layers instead of getting them camo. I think the brand is redfox)

Basically what thats doing is helping the merino be your base layer, the sweat will then transfer to the polyester top layer and then evaporate from tge polyester quicker. If it gets cooler I then throw on an insulation layer over that, (some primaloft hoody from Sitka) and actually allows the sweaty baselayer to breathe and dry out.

So I'm going on a mule deer/elk hunt out west in 2021, and am looking at Kuiu. I'm unfamiliar with size and what all I need. Any thoughts?
Their shirt sizes run a little small. I am kind of in between a medium and large and a Kuiu large fits great

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back