Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What to do: dealing with a a-hole

I had some idiot in Illinois pull my SD card from my micro link between the 6th of October and the 14th of October on private leased ground. They took the SD card and left the doors on both the microlink open and the trail camera open and rain got in and destroyed them both.

It doesn't matter whether you are on public or private. People are complete a$$holes no matter where you are at.

Unless he can climb trees or really thinks he needs your sd card, this could put your camera above his reachable level.

In your state I assume there are not any regulations in place for leaving equipment such as tree stands or game cams on public land for more than a hunt day. With no regs for stands, what is common practice?
If someone puts forth effort to place a stand or camera on public land, do most hunters respect it and move on or is it kinda a first to arrive for the day thing?
In my experience a stolen SD card is usually the perps way of staying off camera. In general the real turds and thieves just steal the whole camera.

In your state I assume there are not any regulations in place for leaving equipment such as tree stands or game cams on public land for more than a hunt day. With no regs for stands, what is common practice?
If someone puts forth effort to place a stand or camera on public land, do most hunters respect it and move on or is it kinda a first to arrive for the day thing?
In my experience a stolen SD card is usually the perps way of staying off camera. In general the real turds and thieves just steal the whole camera.
right, no real regs for stands/cams; most hunters will give space to the current stand and move on; but there are definitely the types that if they've hunted it for so many years, they think its their land.
I'm starting to think he just wants me out of his area; I did catch a pic of him earlier this year on a different camera, he's an older guy, so he may have been hunting here for "25 years!" how dare someone move in onto this property

Just remember if you want to push it....He could make you famous...

From a totally outsider's perspective...you hanging your stand there is a way of "claiming the spot", right? Assuming it's not illegal to hang the camera, stealing the card is illegal and a dick move and you did the right thing by leaving him alone - you can't prove (and honestly don't know) it was the same guy parked there. Letting the game warden know can't hurt, but I would find a different spot. It's not worth the stress. Showing up early is just going to provoke him and who wants to deal with that while you're supposed to be out there relaxing and enjoying nature.

right, no real regs for stands/cams; most hunters will give space to the current stand and move on; but there are definitely the types that if they've hunted it for so many years, they think its their land.
I'm starting to think he just wants me out of his area; I did catch a pic of him earlier this year on a different camera, he's an older guy, so he may have been hunting here for "25 years!" how dare someone move in onto this property
In MN on public property nothing can be left unattended, no trail cameras or even deer stands.

Page 98 of the rule book has more detail but stands are only allowed to be left overnight for bear hunting and must be marked per the rules

I had something similar happened on private land. One day I found him sitting in my stand. Because he had already stole stuff from me, I told him I didn’t want my treat pegs stolen too. I proceeded to climb the tree with him still in my stand and I took out every single tree peg on my way down. Telling him the whole time I was really partial to them and was sorry for disturbing his evening sit. To this day I wonder how he got down the 20 feet. I never had a problem with theft after that.
Savage...

I love it.

I don't know the rules of this particular piece of land but I see the rules you mention are specific to MN DNR WMAs. Not trying to argue but is there a possibility that this is some other form of public land?
Not that I know of, but it Would be best to contact local Game Warden. In my area the game warden will actually come take down your stand and leave you a note to contact them if they get reports of stands on public.

I'd move on. Not worth the trouble.

I hunted hard the same spot for archery and the first few days of rifle elk this year without seeing anyone in the woods. Two greasy skids showed up the first Saturday of rifle season after I'd been there early, set up and ready to go. After a few words with them I quickly realized they were both a-holes and didn't care if I was already there. I packed up my stuff and went to a different spot. Again, not worth the trouble.

I had something similar happened on private land. One day I found him sitting in my stand. Because he had already stole stuff from me, I told him I didn’t want my treat pegs stolen too. I proceeded to climb the tree with him still in my stand and I took out every single tree peg on my way down. Telling him the whole time I was really partial to them and was sorry for disturbing his evening sit. To this day I wonder how he got down the 20 feet. I never had a problem with theft after that.

I hear that the guy is still up in your tree stand to this day!!!

He was gone the next morning and nothing was hanging in the thorn apple directly below the stand. There weren’t any ladder marks in the dirt so no one rescued him. My guess is he had to throw down his Mossberg because he didn’t have a sling. Then he probably bear hugged it down.

FOund him

28be4d4e96811eaf68aab2202a2eb325.jpg

Back