Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What size animal do you want and why?

If I said I don't hunt for the rack I guess I'd be kidding myself... I guess it all depends on the perspective. When I go home to MT or hunt CO for deer, I'm pretty hard pressed to pull the trigger unless its a mature buck. There seems to be plenty to go around, unlike here in MD where i'm lucky to see a dozen bucks in a 5 month season.

As far as elk go, I don't get to hunt them as much as I used to so I'll take what I can get when I can get it. I figure sooner or later my luck will turn and I'll kill a nice bull, but until then, the only thing I see when an elk steps out is steaks and burger... I have a real hard time passing on any leagal bull, and its been a long time since I did. When a guy only has 3-5 days to fill a tag he can't be to picky.

I'm to the point that I enjoy the hunt more than the kill. I feel like I don't 'have' to kill a big one to be successful. Some of my most memorable hunts didn't involve kills at all.

any deer for the wife,any buck for Martin,Codie has his own standards,Jr...err forgot about him even going out.:rolleyes:

For me I will try to take a doe early and then hopefully go after another nice buck again. I didn't get a shot on the one I was chasing but it was loads of fun.(I guesstimate him to have been about 130-140) But the 6-8 pointer(3x3,4x4) would have been down if he had got within range.

Heck I just like seeing them.:D

Alrighty then, It really depends on what you can reasonably expect an area to produce as to what animal is worth taking. Here in the Southeastern States, unless you have a large Tract of land it is hard to Trophy Hunt and I just take them as they come. That does not mean the Trophies are not taken, but this is a fun Hunt with friends. Now when I am out after Elk, I would love to Bag the Big one, but most of my friends have never even seen an Elk, so I am still a little like "don't look a Gift horse in the Mouth" type Hunter. I guess what I am saying is every Deer or Elk I take is "MY" Trophy, don't give a rip what other people shoot, but I do like to think a big one is out there for me. John

My life has only permitted me limited time to hunt every year. I have always shot the first animal I could get in range of which always seems to be a nice fat doe. Once, I stalked up on three blacktail bucks at 20 yards, bedded down on a ridge line. I watched them for 30 minutes and let the spike and fork get up and walk by me. I waited until the 3 pt. stood up and took him. Very unlike me, taking a chance on spooking all three trying to get a shot at the biggest one. I remember the rush of holding the antlers afterward as the sun was setting. I'm finding more time to hunt now and I know in the back of my head that I need the challenge of outwitting that wiley buck/bull. I will always try to fill my freezer, but I know that I will take more time in the woods to appease my hunting nature chasing the mossback. It's a part of me, I was just waiting for the right time to indulge.

Attachments

• firstbuckwithbow03.jpg
    firstbuckwithbow03.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 82
I shot my first moose this season and I was hunting for the first legal animal that I could. That being said, I have hunted for antlers and horns when chasing whitetails, muleys and antelope. I have shot many animals for the meat and enjoy game meat. This season I plan on hunting mountain goat and hope to shoot the first decent billy that I can. I hunt mainly for the experience.

I only shoot 300 class Bulls and 180 clas bucks...... then I wake up ;)

I like them big, but if I don't have a trigger lock on my gun I'm a stacking them up !!! I've found over the years it's easier to pack out the small ones...

this year I'm killing my Biggest Elk ever... and my Biggest Deer ever. Although not a HUGE feat, it will happen !!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back