Wounded animal meat safety #2

If you kill that dink and the meat is questionable / will you go to FWP and get a replacement license so you can kill yet another one?
I came here with a simple question about meat safety. I also shared about my internal debate about whether the most ethical approach, if I see this animal again, would be to put it out of its misery or let it try to survive. I'm grateful for the wonderful input that many people on this forum have to give. Collectively, there is so much knowledge to be shared, and I appreciate it, since I surely don't know all that there is to know. Those things help me navigate a good decision in the "gray" areas when there isn't a black or white answer. I am not interested in killing. I'm interested in feeding my family and doing the right thing.

Your comments serve as a great illustration for Big Fin's instructions for the Hunt Talk forum: "Add something valuable and useful to the discussion. That is the purpose of this forum. Add value to that. If you can't do that, go to a different part of the WWW. Go for a walk. Go shoot your bow. Go do some hunting research. Being negative, combative, confrontational, is not going to change one single mind on this forum. And it does nothing to benefit the discussion....If someone posts a request for advice or input either give them advice or move along to a different thread. There is no rule that says you have to pitch a fit and act like an ass if someone asks for information. Either share something or go find a thread/post to which you can post something helpful." https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/read-this-and-behave-accordingly.297340/

I just arrowed a buck here in Indiana. I called him in across a field with a few grunts. He was acting like a normal rut crazed buck. When I was field dressing him I noticed his chest cavity was fiels with yellow puss fluid. There was 0 oder and further inspection showed what I believe to be a bullet hole in and out right in his arm pit. I contacted my local CO and he referred me to a game biologist to see if I could get my tag refunded. The biologist asked me questions and reviewed my pictures. He also got with another biologist and then determined that the deer would be just fine for consumption. Last night I cut up my deer and the meat looks and smells great.
Resized_20231112_195431.jpg
Here is some of the yuk from the chest cavity.
Resized_20231112_195424.jpg

I came here with a simple question about meat safety. I also shared about my internal debate about whether the most ethical approach, if I see this animal again, would be to put it out of its misery or let it try to survive. I'm grateful for the wonderful input that many people on this forum have to give. Collectively, there is so much knowledge to be shared, and I appreciate it, since I surely don't know all that there is to know. Those things help me navigate a good decision in the "gray" areas when there isn't a black or white answer. I am not interested in killing. I'm interested in feeding my family and doing the right thing.

Your comments serve as a great illustration for Big Fin's instructions for the Hunt Talk forum: "Add something valuable and useful to the discussion. That is the purpose of this forum. Add value to that. If you can't do that, go to a different part of the WWW. Go for a walk. Go shoot your bow. Go do some hunting research. Being negative, combative, confrontational, is not going to change one single mind on this forum. And it does nothing to benefit the discussion....If someone posts a request for advice or input either give them advice or move along to a different thread. There is no rule that says you have to pitch a fit and act like an ass if someone asks for information. Either share something or go find a thread/post to which you can post something helpful." https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/read-this-and-behave-accordingly.297340/
IMO, it's sort of a no brainer.

First off that deer is not your problem to deal with.

If you want to deal with it, then just do it and be done. That's a choice.

Frankly, if I saw that deer 2 months after it was shot, I wouldn't worry about it.

IMO, it's sort of a no brainer.

First off that deer is not your problem to deal with.
Lots of hunters feel that it is humane to put down an injured animal if you see it. This is taught from the very beginning in hunter’s education classes. I’m not required to anything about this deer, but I am interested in doing what is humane. The tension on this is my question about meat safety. My family only eats meat that I hunt. I want my tag to count for that as much as possible.
If you want to deal with it, then just do it and be done. That's a choice.
I am well aware that it is my choice what to do. I wasn’t asking for anyone’s permission or asking about legality. It’s my tag and my land. I came for information from people who might know more than I do so I can make an informed choice instead of a stupid one.
Frankly, if I saw that deer 2 months after it was shot, I wouldn't worry about it.
The deer was just shot days ago, not 2 months. With this being the case, some have advised me that the infection is potentially more of a risk now than it will be after the deer’s immune system has had ample time to recover.

Again, thanks to everyone in this thread who was contributed knowledgeable information and real-life experience to help me make the best choice I can. I appreciate it. I definitely didn’t come here to argue or cause drama.

Lots of hunters feel that it is humane to put down an injured animal if you see it. This is taught from the very beginning in hunter’s education classes. I’m not required to anything about this deer, but I am interested in doing what is humane. The tension on this is my question about meat safety. My family only eats meat that I hunt. I want my tag to count for that as much as possible.

I am well aware that it is my choice what to do. I wasn’t asking for anyone’s permission or asking about legality. It’s my tag and my land. I came for information from people who might know more than I do so I can make an informed choice instead of a stupid one.

The deer was just shot days ago, not 2 months. With this being the case, some have advised me that the infection is potentially more of a risk now than it will be after the deer’s immune system has had ample time to recover.

Again, thanks to everyone in this thread who was contributed knowledgeable information and real-life experience to help me make the best choice I can. I appreciate it. I definitely didn’t come here to argue or cause drama.
Then just let it recover and kill it next year, or the year after. I think it's unlikely that deer will die from that wound. In the mean time kill a different deer for the meat, or go shoot an elk.

If that deer is still running around, a week+ after being shot, I don't think there is a moral or ethical dilemma about putting it down. Just not seeing a reason to do anything.

A cow elk will yield 5x the meat, better meat, and should be pretty damn easy to come by. Good luck. Do the right thing and feed your family and don’t allow any animal suffering dilemma that will keep you awake at night.

I'd shoot it as s matter of duty as a steward of wildlife. But then I kill a literal heaping truckload of deer every year. My tags are not so precious.

Here, if you took a septic deer to a processor he would chuck it in a dumpster and give you meat from a couple that were dropped off and not picked up. No one would admit it happened.

The point is the solution is obvious if you think outside the box.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back