Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What saw for moose

Wyoming saw seems to be the saw of choice. That’s what the outfitter recommended on the hunt I just did.

I just brought the gerber saw that I already had though.

For the ribs, I HIGHLY and I can’t stress this enough, HIGHLY recommend a little Gerber hatchet.
Sawing through all those ribs would have been a nightmare. Another hunter back at the lodge didn’t bring a hatchet and he was talking about how shitty it was to saw them.
With the hatchet it’s very easy.

I've cut up a fair number of moose. A lot of moose! Never owned a Wyoming saw, but have used many similar backpack/light weight saws.
Earlier days, a saw, gerber knife, and come along, got the meat home. Now a havalon, (bring extra blades) and a cordless sawzall is what we use. Cordless reciprocating saws make bone cutting quick. This year bought 20 volt kit. The chain saw while not used on meat, was impressive cutting fire wood.

You all are awesome. I have used a wyoming saw for elk rear legs for 2 decades, but mine fell out of the pack last year.....

We will have a 50lb limit on this trip. I would LOVE to bring a cordless sawsall, but not so sure about the weight, then a comealong too??? maybe ill leave my sleeping bag out...lol...

Can wait to hit this bucket list item!

Thanks again all of you.

Wyoming saw seems to be the saw of choice. That’s what the outfitter recommended on the hunt I just did.

I just brought the gerber saw that I already had though.

For the ribs, I HIGHLY and I can’t stress this enough, HIGHLY recommend a little Gerber hatchet.
Sawing through all those ribs would have been a nightmare. Another hunter back at the lodge didn’t bring a hatchet and he was talking about how shitty it was to saw them.
With the hatchet it’s very easy.
I jus watched the video and about laughed at how easy that is and I didnt know it.....
How do you used the hatchet? Do you cut the backstrap off, then whack the top of the ribs away from the spine? Do Tell!

I wasnt sure how to go about the backstraps.....bone in or boneless for care/cooling purposes- not taste....I note the company we are going with said "loose" meat doesnt do well cooling, best to minimize it or it will spoil before we return to hangar to process.

Thanks

Buy a Stanley 14" handsaw. Lighter than the wyoming saw and works better, IMO. I have two Wyoming saws, and don't use them anymore. They S-U-C-K for cutting moose antlers off. Especially the original, the medium one isn't much better.

I jus watched the video and about laughed at how easy that is and I didnt know it.....
How do you used the hatchet? Do you cut the backstrap off, then whack the top of the ribs away from the spine? Do Tell!

I wasnt sure how to go about the backstraps.....bone in or boneless for care/cooling purposes- not taste....I note the company we are going with said "loose" meat doesnt do well cooling, best to minimize it or it will spoil before we return to hangar to process.

Thanks

We cut the back straps out first, then took a knife to the meat between the tops of the ribs and cut away any other tissue that was clearly going to be where you’d hack with the hatchet.
Then at the backside of the ribs, began cutting tissue along the edge of them to expose the cavity.

You then pull the back of the ribs up a little bit (works best with two guys) and use the tip of your knife to seperate the diaphram from the inside of the rib cage.
At this point, you can begin using the hatchet. I think we did top first, then bottom. Don’t underestimate how sharp rib bones can be after being cut with a hatchet. Either wear a glove or be very careful.

I don’t know if this is the best way. It’s just the way we did it on the only two moose we’ve ever done.

Buy a Stanley 14" handsaw. Lighter than the wyoming saw and works better, IMO. I have two Wyoming saws, and don't use them anymore. They S-U-C-K for cutting moose antlers off. Especially the original, the medium one isn't much better.
I’ve heard good things about a Stanley handsaw, but never used one. I’ve done a hatchet or ax too. They work good if you have the rib cage in a position where one person can pull the ribs away while the other person chops.

Moose ribs are wonderful to eat too. A lot like beef ribs.

We cut the back straps out first, then took a knife to the meat between the tops of the ribs and cut away any other tissue that was clearly going to be where you’d hack with the hatchet.
Then at the backside of the ribs, began cutting tissue along the edge of them to expose the cavity.

You then pull the back of the ribs up a little bit (works best with two guys) and use the tip of your knife to seperate the diaphram from the inside of the rib cage.
At this point, you can begin using the hatchet. I think we did top first, then bottom. Don’t underestimate how sharp rib bones can be after being cut with a hatchet. Either wear a glove or be very careful.

I don’t know if this is the best way. It’s just the way we did it on the only two moose we’ve ever done.
Interesting I've never actually tried to remove ribs from an animal in the field.

That said I feel like at this point I can remove a lower leg, skull, etc with a knife just as quick as my FIL with is sawzall.

Do you think it would just be do difficult to find and sever the ligaments with a knife in the field.

I was thinking that I would remove the hind and front quarters, back strap, then gut the moose. Then from the inside have someone pull the rib 'out' and then from the underside sever the ligament?

Easier said and done though... what do you think?

1633624521111.png

For me using a hatchet or ax to cut bone would leave too many bone fragments. Probably matter most depending on if you used the gutless method or gutted the moose. And if you are leaving the hide on until you can get it back to camp n skin it there so it stays cleaner.
I use a saw to cut moose up. I bought a Bear brand saw a couple years ago. Cut wood really good but I tried to cut moose bone with it n it broke 30% of the teeth off. So probably try to find something that is dual purpose.
I like having a saw around but it isn't a have to have. I keep a bag dedicated for processing. By the time I have game bags plastic bags rope bug dope n such a small folding saw fits easily. As for weight well you're already hauling a moose.
Anyhows what saw? I use a folding saw that can cut bone or wood. I have a Wyoming saw also but haven't used it much. Not that they aren't a good saw just doesn't work for me.

Interesting I've never actually tried to remove ribs from an animal in the field.

That said I feel like at this point I can remove a lower leg, skull, etc with a knife just as quick as my FIL with is sawzall.

Do you think it would just be do difficult to find and sever the ligaments with a knife in the field.

I was thinking that I would remove the hind and front quarters, back strap, then gut the moose. Then from the inside have someone pull the rib 'out' and then from the underside sever the ligament?

View attachment 196858
Just catching this threat late but saw this and wanted to comment.

On the Shiras moose we took a few years ago, we did exactly this. We got so lucky with our moose died (70 yards from an ATV trail) that I decided to remove the moose 100% all bone in to butcher it exactly like you would a cow. I used a sawzall right down the center of the spine the entire length of the moose and the front quarter came out as one large single piece (front leg, brisket, spine down to where the tenderloin starts). At home after these quarters were hanging for a week, we removed the rib cage exactly how you show, from the inside and by just using a knife around each rib at that joint.

Cooking the moose ribs, I was so impressed. If the best beef ribs you could possible make or get in a top scale restaurant is a 10/10, these moose ribs were like an 8. So good.

I only have pictures of the final product, nothing of the process, sorry

View attachment 211239

View attachment 211240
Really nice job doing those up. And I agree, moose rib meat is great. I've been thinking I want to bring the femer bone from the rear legs in and cutting them to be used for marrow. If beef marrow is good I believe moose would be better. All natural too.
Every moose is different. There big. And where n how they land matters on the technique used. Remote or not.
Good field care the best way you can do it is the most important thing.
I like to have pulley system that uses 2 pulley with multiple wheels n rope.
If you can split them into 2 pieces at the last rib separating the front n rear it's easier to handle. If I can leave the hide on to get it to the pole is nice. But generally have to skin them. Too heavy.
I've done a bunch by myself. Just have to take smaller parts. Take time to rest. I keep 6-7 knifes in my I got a moose bag. A dedicated bag for that task. A face net doesn't take much room bring another because if you have help they will want yours. The biting flies can be viscous and loosing your concentration while you have your hands inside a moose cavity with a sharp knife not good.
I use dry citrus acid. 5 lb bag on the net is cheap. If you like music while you work, and are worried about bears, rock out. Duct tape your game bags that you can't tie shut. Like the rear legs. Blowflies will find a way in. And it's good to have. Don't use cheap game bags. I just clean n reuse them. Organ meat is delicate n spoils fast. Good reason to eat the heart.
If you have some big black heavy duty garage bags stashed you can put your meat in it n put it in a creek to stay cool. Good emergency poncho too. Open them up n spread out to put the meat on to help keep clean. If you have to drag anything it will slide across the muskeg easier in the bag stays cleaner.
I use muck arctic pro boots usually.
Good luck on your hunt

Last edited:
Really nice job doing those up. And I agree, moose rib meat is great. I've been thinking I want to bring the femer bone from the rear legs in and cutting them to be used for marrow. If beef marrow is good I believe moose would be better. All natural too.
Every moose is different. There big. And where n how they land matters on the technique used. Remote or not.
Good field care the best way you can do it is the most important thing
you mean this?

1003201704.jpg

Man I laughed out loud. Just thinking about doing this

View attachment 196858
Yeah I think that would work. Maybe cut them into 2 sections by slicing down between the ribs. Pull the rib section up until the cartilage busts then cut threw with your knife or hatchet from the top.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back