Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

What saw for moose

Man I laughed out loud. Just thinking about doing this
That is what I've always used for cutting the skull plate (Stanley sharptooth brand hand saw)
SharpTooth™ technology that uses three cutting surfaces to cut 50% faster than conventional saws.

For the rib cage, we use brush loppers which also help quickly cut a path getting through thick willows.
Brush loppers will cut a rib cage much faster than a recipricating saw and no bone dust.
7:44 of the following youtube video:

If you don't like heart, take it any way and add it into the grind bag.
And 2 slits on the outside under jaw and you got the tongue..don't leave it behind.

I've not seen a lopers used before. And yeah a good handsaw works nice. I did watch the video. In my experience my buddy n me harvested a moose that fell into a river. And I had to throw the entire thing away. It turned green. I believe that because of all the dead salmon carcasses n such that bacteria got down in between the bones n meat caused it to turn. So now when a moose has gotten wet from river water we try n process it immediately.

I've not seen a lopers used before. And yeah a good handsaw works nice. I did watch the video. In my experience my buddy n me harvested a moose that fell into a river. And I had to throw the entire thing away. It turned green. I believe that because of all the dead salmon carcasses n such that bacteria got down in between the bones n meat caused it to turn. So now when a moose has gotten wet from river water we try n process it immediately.
In the water is standard operating procedure for me.
Deep water (like 10 feet deep) a bull floats and with 2 rope come-alongs can be winched to shore.
Shallow water, waders and canoe or jet sleds.
I've had a couple hunts were the air temperature by afternoon was in the upper 60s
and the water temperature in the upper 30s, so water helped cool the meat while butchering.
We don't hunt fast salmon rivers like you were the current can cause major problems lodging a bull against a sweeper or cut bank.
Canoe_Hauling2.jpgwater_bull_Aug.jpgWater_bull_Sept.jpgyoung_bull_hunter.JPG

Attachments

• Ray_old_bull.jpg
    Ray_old_bull.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
2 other tips...always have at least 2 head lamps.
It takes me 4 hours to solo butcher a moose under good conditions,
and if you shoot one at sunset, might be finishing up after midnight.

Bring a tarp to place the quarters on before bagging and that way
no "tundra salad", mud, etc. on the meat.
A tarp is also handy to sit under while glassing in the rain.

Also a hindquarter can weigh 125 lbs so don't be surprised by the
work involved to pack a moose out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back