What saw for moose

Elmacho

Guys/Gals,

We pulled the trigger on a drop camp for moose in Alaska. What saw, if any do you take for breaking down a moose. Keep in mind, we are hunting a unit where we have too take the moose legs out bone in, rib cage too.

Any pointers welcome!

Thanks and good luck this fall!

You don't need much. I cut ribs with a small pelvis saw doodad (say 5 or 6 inch thing with a plastic blunted end). Don't need a saw for legs
Not rear-legs ? how about leaving the ham string attached for hanging? I usually cut a few inches below the knee to keep the ham string for hanging elk legs...How do you handle the rear legs?

Same as above but i also have used a saw had from scouts for years. I saw 2 guys on the dock on a fly in moose hunt bring a chain saw with vegetable oil instead of bar chain oil, a small box of food and gun case after we cut one up all night. I thought we'll that is one way to do it. Told dad next time we bring a chain saw like that. Also bring a come-along.

I routinely use a saw to cut through ribs along the brisket to intersect a knife cut up the throat. Out comes wind pipe and guts. Makes the gut removal easier and the animal cools down faster, especially in the heavily insulated neck area..
Wyoming saw.

Having never been moose hunting I’m not aware of the law requiring bone in legs and rib meat that the OP mentioned. Can someone explain that?

Having never been moose hunting I’m not aware of the law requiring bone in legs and rib meat that the OP mentioned. Can someone explain that?
Certain units in Alaska require you to leave certain meat on bone for certain animals for transport out of the field. It's clearly explained in the regulations about which units require it.

1633405234726.png

Page 22 of the ADFG regs lists the units in which you must leave meat on the bone while in the field. Most of them require the ribs on the bone, but you can split the sternum and rib bones from the spine.

Same as above but i also have used a saw had from scouts for years. I saw 2 guys on the dock on a fly in moose hunt bring a chain saw with vegetable oil instead of bar chain oil, a small box of food and gun case after we cut one up all night. I thought we'll that is one way to do it. Told dad next time we bring a chain saw like that. Also bring a come-along.
Depending on the river We bring a chainsaw on float hunts. And a come along should be on a moose hunt gear list if weight allows.

Back