What NOT to do.

I once killed a bull and cow with same shot but it was unavoidable. In thick timber and I didn't see the cow on the other side. Not sure it would have made much difference I had. I'd already hit him once and it was almost dark by the time I caught up to them. Sucked for sure. Only a piece of the bullet hit the cow but enough penetration to slice her heart.

I once killed a bull and cow with same shot but it was unavoidable. In thick timber and I didn't see the cow on the other side. Not sure it would have made much difference I had. I'd already hit him once and it was almost dark by the time I caught up to them. Sucked for sure. Only a piece of the bullet hit the cow but enough penetration to slice her heart.
So how did that work out? Were you lucky enough to have two tags? Report to authorities? Just curious.

It is YOUR responsibility to verify when your bullet exits an animal that it goes somewhere safe. Like THE GROUND.

So how did that work out? Were you lucky enough to have two tags? Report to authorities? Just curious.

He told the full story here, starts post 20

Not to hijack your thread jtm307, but there sure seems to be an excess of unethical hunting videos on youtube this year. Maybe it's just me, but this one got my blood pressure up. At 11:08 he says, "we had not other options!", but to shoot a couple times at a heck of a long ways, and then give the bull a few hours to die before you go look? I expect better HUSH (I think).

It is YOUR responsibility to verify when your bullet exits an animal that it goes somewhere safe. Like THE GROUND.
Right. I'll just climb in my helicopter and shoot from there so the bullet hits the ground. Not everyone sits on their arse in a treestand. My first responsibility is to make sure a wounded elk goes down before dark. It will spoil if it dies during the night. That cow was somewhere behind the bull but given that she was only hit with a fragment, she probably was not in the line of fire. As I said, I didn't see one on the other side of the bull. But I could see a cow standing ahead of him and one in back of his butt. You are probably not experienced enough to know it but bullets very often do deflect radically on exit. On that same mountain a few years later I shot twin forked horn bucks with one shot. Hit the first one in the head, bullet deflected, and hit his brother through the lungs standing fifteen yards behind and to my left. He was way out of the picture when I shot. I didn't even know he was there till he started doing the funky chicken.

Not to hijack your thread jtm307, but there sure seems to be an excess of unethical hunting videos on youtube this year. Maybe it's just me, but this one got my blood pressure up. At 11:08 he says, "we had not other options!", but to shoot a couple times at a heck of a long ways, and then give the bull a few hours to die before you go look? I expect better HUSH (I think).

That was a poke. Especially from such a poor shooting position

Right. I'll just climb in my helicopter and shoot from there so the bullet hits the ground. Not everyone sits on their arse in a treestand. My first responsibility is to make sure a wounded elk goes down before dark. It will spoil if it dies during the night. That cow was somewhere behind the bull but given that she was only hit with a fragment, she probably was not in the line of fire. As I said, I didn't see one on the other side of the bull. But I could see a cow standing ahead of him and one in back of his butt. You are probably not experienced enough to know it but bullets very often do deflect radically on exit. On that same mountain a few years later I shot twin forked horn bucks with one shot. Hit the first one in the head, bullet deflected, and hit his brother through the lungs standing fifteen yards behind and to my left. He was way out of the picture when I shot. I didn't even know he was there till he started doing the funky chicken.
I watched a bullet enter a terrorist in a the dome and come out his shoulder. That experienced enough for you?

I repeat myself again. It is YOUR responsibility as the shooter to verify your bullet upon exit has a safe place to go.

Hopefully you had another tag or you reported the situation to the game warden.

You baffle me.

Ugh the Hushin guys need to just stop...seems like their always doing something stupid...Firebull :rolleyes:

this has happened to you TWICE?!?!?!
Yes. And on the same mountain. The year after the elk episode I almost thought it happened again. I tracked what I hoped was a spike shortly after daybreak. As I came up to a giant boulder erratic perched on the side of that steep mountain, an elk bolted above me. I couldn't see his head for required horns but kept the 3x scope on him. As he turned to run up the mountain through a jackpot I could just make out two white things sticking up out of his head. There's my spike. I shot at his back/neck as he was going away. It disappeared. I stood motionless for five minutes. No way could an animal that size get through that thick crap without making noise. When I was sure he wasn't waiting for me to make the first move, I headed up the steep face. He must be down. Got about half way, stopped for a breather, looked uphill, and about crapped. A huge 49" rack laying on its side! I instinctively unshouldered my rifle thinking I'd again shot two animals. Where's the spike? Turns out this great big bull had freakishly small feet. I missed his shoulder/neck and hit him in the back of the head at the base of his skull. The two white things sticking up were brow tines as he threw his head back to drag the rack through dog hair.1980 bull.JPG

Don't even need to watch it. Look at how he wears his hat. Guys an absolute dumbf$%k.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back