NEW SITKA Ambient 75

What NOT to do.

His writing and changing stories have left some open to interpretation IMO
How's the story changed?

Since someone asked, no deer were left on the mountain either. The unintended one fell over and slid thirty yards to the edge of a cliff. I tied it to a bush while I dressed it, made it into a pack, crawled inside, rolled over onto my belly and crawled on all fours back up to the top of the ridge. Took off my belt, hooked antlers of both deer together, and pulled them down the mountain where my brother was waiting in the truck. He tagged the other buck. I used flagging tape to tie their adjacent legs together and hold my pants up. Enough wet snow and steep terrain made it fairly easy work once both deer were on top of the ridge. Easier than I expected. They weren't real big deer and that helped. Seems like yesterday. Must have been1984.

He did see “two

well, I his defense he did “see two white things sticking up out of his head”, so come in. That’s good enough right?
Good enough for bulls only season. In those days a spike was a legal bull. The size of the track I'd been following indicated the best I could expect was a spike or maybe a yearling cow that would lead me to a herd. This monster wasn't even back on his dew claws. I couldn't believe it was the same animal until I backtracked to where I'd shot. I had his small feet mounted for a gun rack. Found them in the cedar chest last year and finally made one.20211206_122514.jpg

You should hear his definitions of "Daily" and "Possession" limits when it comes to waterfowl.
Let's see ... the possession limit for geese here has been unlimited for years. How many different definitions are there for that term? 🤔 This year I shot a daily limit of five ducks for maybe the first time since I moved here in 1989. Gives you some idea of the duck hunting available. I think the daily limit for blacks is now up to two but I'll never shoot more than one. After that it's greenheads or teal only. Daily and possession limit for Barrows goldeneye is one (soon to be zero I'm sure). I stopped shooting either species goldeneye forty years ago. They taste like crap.

Last edited:
How's the story changed?

Since someone asked, no deer were left on the mountain either. The unintended one fell over and slid thirty yards to the edge of a cliff. I tied it to a bush while I dressed it, made it into a pack, crawled inside, rolled over onto my belly and crawled on all fours back up to the top of the ridge. Took off my belt, hooked antlers of both deer together, and pulled them down the mountain where my brother was waiting in the truck. He tagged the other buck. I used flagging tape to tie their adjacent legs together and hold my pants up. Enough wet snow and steep terrain made it fairly easy work once both deer were on top of the ridge. Easier than I expected. They weren't real big deer and that helped. Seems like yesterday. Must have been1984.
Do you even read what you write? Admission of game violations and hunting without binoculars, using a rifle scope instead; maybe you should get some binoculars and quit hunting.

Do you even read what you write? Admission of game violations and hunting without binoculars, using a rifle scope instead; maybe you should get some binoculars and quit hunting.
Heh, heh. Last time I looked at the regs scoping game was legal. You have nothing to worry about unless you're out petting mule deer on the Hi Line or running with a herd of elk south of Dillon. Somehow I don't see you doing that. I inadvertently clobbered a deer with my car last year. Perhaps that should be a game violation? I look on a violation as intent to break the law. If I see someone else inadvertently kill the wrong animal, am I going to turn them in for it? Maybe not if it's obvious they exercised due diligence to avoid the mishap. Sometimes shit does happen in spite of our best efforts. Am I going to turn them in if they try to leave the animal in the field? In a heartbeat. When shit happens you clean up your mess. Stop taking things out if context. Really, I thought you had more maturity than that.

Let's see ... the possession limit for geese here has been unlimited for years. How many different definitions are there for that term? 🤔 This year I shot a daily limit of five ducks for maybe the first time since I moved here in 1989. Gives you some idea of the duck hunting available. I think the daily limit for blacks is now up to two but I'll never shoot more than one. After that it's greenheads or teal only. Daily and possession limit for Barrows goldeneye is one (soon to be zero I'm sure). I stopped shooting either species goldeneye forty years ago. They taste like crap.

Bruh, you legit argued with me about daily limits one time and how you drove home and back a couple times after shooting over your daily limit, and that those trips were a away around said daily limit as long as you didn't bust your possession limit.

Bruh, you legit argued with me about daily limits one time and how you drove home and back a couple times after shooting over your daily limit, and that those trips were a away around said daily limit as long as you didn't bust your possession limit.
Accidentally exceeding my daily limit only happened once that I remember. By one goose. I had four in the bag with one to go, a family group came in, they gave my decoys a pass, I pulled on the leader, knocked it down, and another two birds back in the line also fell. Most guys would just toss the extra honker in the brush. I made an extra trip. Another time I shot six but didn't have to deal with two trips. First family group was lured back to the decks by my dog (another story). I shot the leader, then next in line when they flared, and then dropped two that bumped into each other with the third shot. Opal was already after the leader when I shot the last two. When she got to it the dang thing jumped up and flew off. Nothing I could do with an empty gun. Likely hit it in the head. The rest were crippled and she eventually had them herded together on left end of the decoys, but every time she'd try to bring one in another would make a break for it. Another flock was coming but she wouldn't budge. Not going to lose another one, Dad. I finally had to run out and grab a couple. We hit cover just in time for me to pick up the A5 and pull on the leader passing across. I dropped the first two with one shot. Killed them both dead. So technically I knocked down more than my limit but only five made it into the bag. Did I break the law? Six geese in four shots and no flock shooting. Thanks for bringing back those memories.

Accidentally exceeding my daily limit only happened once that I remember. By one goose. I had four in the bag with one to go, a family group came in, they gave my decoys a pass, I pulled on the leader, knocked it down, and another two birds back in the line also fell. Most guys would just toss the extra honker in the brush. I made an extra trip. Another time I shot six but didn't have to deal with two trips. First family group was lured back to the decks by my dog (another story). I shot the leader, then next in line when they flared, and then dropped two that bumped into each other with the third shot. Opal was already after the leader when I shot the last two. When she got to it the dang thing jumped up and flew off. Nothing I could do with an empty gun. Likely hit it in the head. The rest were crippled and she eventually had them herded together on left end of the decoys, but every time she'd try to bring one in another would make a break for it. Another flock was coming but she wouldn't budge. Not going to lose another one, Dad. I finally had to run out and grab a couple. We hit cover just in time for me to pick up the A5 and pull on the leader passing across. I dropped the first two with one shot. Killed them both dead. So technically I knocked down more than my limit but only five made it into the bag. Did I break the law? Six geese in four shots and no flock shooting. Thanks for bringing back those memories.

plz-stop-post.jpg

This is too much man

Heh, heh. Last time I looked at the regs scoping game was legal. You have nothing to worry about unless you're out petting mule deer on the Hi Line or running with a herd of elk south of Dillon. Somehow I don't see you doing that. I inadvertently clobbered a deer with my car last year. Perhaps that should be a game violation? I look on a violation as intent to break the law. If I see someone else inadvertently kill the wrong animal, am I going to turn them in for it? Maybe not if it's obvious they exercised due diligence to avoid the mishap. Sometimes shit does happen in spite of our best efforts. Am I going to turn them in if they try to leave the animal in the field? In a heartbeat. When shit happens you clean up your mess. Stop taking things out if context. Really, I thought you had more maturity than that.
Maybe you didn’t intend to shoot two elk or two deer. You did intend to cover it up and get away with it

Last edited:
No. If a bird flies away under its own power it's not in the bag. Do you count every honker you rattle pellets off of? Of course not. As far as I know any bird that is downed and lost in spite of a reasonable effort to retreive it immediately does not legally count towards the daily bag limit. Should the hunter ethically count it towards his daily limit? For some birds maybe. They just doubled the honker daily limit here last year and possession is as many as you can store in a warehouse. A game warden who squawks about a downed honker that flew off being more than a daily limit would probably be a laughingstock among his peers. I can visualize the local judge who has to step in goose shit at the golf course every day wadding that ticket up and slam dunking it in the wastebasket. Har, har.

Maybe you didn’t intend to shot two elk or two deer. You did intend to cover it up and get away with it
No. Read. I called in the elk. They didn't want it. My brother was hunting with me when I shot the deer. What's to get away with? I can tell you there's no way I'd purposely shoot two deer on the top of that mountain. I was NOT happy to see a second one tip over. And then to see where the damn thing wound up. Sliding down to it on snow covered bear grass with a hundred foot plus vertical cliff and rockpile right below, that was hairy. If the buck had been big it would have been a two day job with a winch getting him up to the ridge. If it had slipped over the edge, it was gone for good. Impossible to get anything out of that chasm even a hamburger at a time. If I slipped, I was going down with it. Maybe someone would have found what was left of me next spring. I risked my life to clean up that mess.

Montana Code Annotated 2021​

TITLE 45. CRIMES​

CHAPTER 5. OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON​

Part 2. Assault and Related Offenses​

Assault With Weapon​

45-5-213. Assault with weapon. (1) A person commits the offense of assault with a weapon if the person purposely or knowingly causes:
(a) bodily injury to another with a weapon; or
(b) reasonable apprehension of serious bodily injury in another by use of a weapon or what reasonably appears to be a weapon.
(2) (a) Subject to the provisions of subsection (2)(b), a person convicted of assault with a weapon shall be imprisoned in the state prison for a term not to exceed 20 years or be fined not more than $50,000, or both.
(b) In addition to any sentence imposed under subsection (2)(a), if the person convicted of assault with a weapon is a partner or family member of the victim, as defined in 45-5-206, the person is required to pay for and complete a counseling assessment as required in 45-5-206(4).
History: En. Sec. 7, Ch. 432, L. 1999.

A person seeing a person pointing a scoped rifle at them may meet the requirement of 45-5-213 (1b) for reasonable apprehension of serious bodily injury by use of a weapon or what appears to be a weapon.

So, using a scoped rifle instead of binoculars is not only a dumb move in the right situation an illegal move.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back