What NOT to do.

He told the full story here, starts post 20
Got cliff notes? Something about losing IQ points reading his posts, not sure I got time for that!

I watched a bullet enter a terrorist in a the dome and come out his shoulder. That experienced enough for you?

I repeat myself again. It is YOUR responsibility as the shooter to verify your bullet upon exit has a safe place to go.

Hopefully you had another tag or you reported the situation to the game warden.

You baffle me.
All we can do is do our best to ensure the bullet has a safe place to go based on anticipated path after exit. As your own example has not so eloquently proven, the behavior of bullets after impact and exit is not always what one would expect. I would venture to say that more often than not post trajectory path is NOT what is anticipated. If nothing appears to be in the post exit trajectory path, then the shooter is safe to take the shot. If the bullet deflects and hits something that was not visible or well outside the anticipated post exit path, that's unfortunate. Doesn't mean the shooter was careless.

Again on the same very steep mountain, I shot a raghorn bull opening morning. As I started to gut it there was a shot from below and on the other side of the ridge. Whizz... the bullet flies over my head. What the ... Then another. I dove for cover. Three more shots before I heard one finally connect with something and shooting stops. I cleaned the bull and dragged it to the bottom with the help of another kid who happened along. When we got to the skid road with the elk we ran into his dad and grandad pulling a whopper whitetail buck. Turns out it and a doe had been feeding just over the ridge from me. Dad and grandad were lobbing shells from 400 yards. Everyone was in orange but couldn't see each other. They were mortified the bullets came that close to me but it was "unavoidable". A bit unnerving but I am sure I was never in any real danger.

Last edited:
If you don't wanna see stupid chit don't watch YOUTUBE hunting videos. Then you can just use your righteous imagination and all will be fine.

I can't believe the number of times I watched famous pro hunters daylight bullets and arrows over the skyline and many times non target animals in the direct line of fire behind the target animal. Its crazy but if they are doing it lots of others are also.

Wonder what it was shot with? Basically no reaction, but must have drilled it to die that fast.

I got banned from from the FB sheep hunting page for calling John the douchebag Lewton out for letting his "gov" tag holder do the exact thing on a sheep. It was on #ramnumbernooneGAF and he told me his hunters are super special and never miss. There was a bedded sheep just below the ram the guy shot.

If you don't wanna see stupid chit don't watch YOUTUBE hunting videos. Then you can just use your righteous imagination and all will be fine.

I can't believe the number of times I watched famous pro hunters daylight bullets and arrows over the skyline and many times non target animals in the direct line of fire behind the target animal. Its crazy but if they are doing it lots of others are also.
The other night I caught a video of an eland being shot more than once while standing in the middle of a bunch of cattle. What kind of PH would allow that, let alone FILM it?! On the other hand, you can find lots of videos of Barbary sheep and ibex hunts where the PH/guide won't let client shoot because the big ram is packed too tightly in the middle of a flock.

There's good hunting videos and there's bad ones. Personally, I find hunting TV shows are much worse. Most of the good hunting videos are produced by outfitters who need to be careful about their image. They need to cast a wide net. Clients can range from product demanding bone hunters to greenies just looking for a special time in the woods or at luxury lodge to the guys wrapped up in the ethics of hunting and ecology. A few in the audience also have enough experience to expect some reality. So the outfitter video needs to cover all the bases adequately and safely. During the pandemic lockdowns I've watched a ton of African videos. It's made me appreciate how difficult it is to put together good ones.

Last edited:
So after reading the 3 responses from OntarioHunter the short answer would be no, he did not report the incident to the authorities. :(
Someone else posted the link to the full story. Didn't see much point in repetition, but you asked for it. I phoned in the second elk because I didn't want it. Offered to take another day off work and pack it out with my horses. The regional boss was a great stand up guy. He told me to leave it on the hill for bird food because he was almost certain I would get charged and probably lose both elk. Needless to say, I didn't follow his instructions.

Wonder what it was shot with? Basically no reaction, but must have drilled it to die that fast.

I got banned from from the FB sheep hunting page for calling John the douchebag Lewton out for letting his "gov" tag holder do the exact thing on a sheep. It was on #ramnumbernooneGAF and he told me his hunters are super special and never miss. There was a bedded sheep just below the ram the guy shot.
When you don't go along with their agenda they will remove you. Thats the new world way. Get the jab > don't ask anything> just do it. Now do it again> Get it again > Oh another on the way> Get in line.
Things that don't seem right have been forced to become the norm. Its on the screens everyday you don't have to look for this stuff it jumps out at you.

The regional boss was a great stand up guy. He told me to leave it on the hill for bird food because he was almost certain I would get charged and probably lose both elk. Needless to say, I didn't follow his instructions.
Wasting a dead elk is certainly something a stand up guy would say. The whole story leaves me shaking my head.

When you don't go along with their agenda they will remove you. Thats the new world way. Get the jab > don't ask anything> just do it. Now do it again> Get it again > Oh another on the way> Get in line.
Things that don't seem right have been forced to become the norm. Its on the screens everyday you don't have to look for this stuff it jumps out at you.
The amount of people that were ok with such a fumb shot was amazing. By far the majority had no problem with it because it was such a big sheep he he was a good shot. You are right, it's the world we live in over commerciallized hunting. I can't watch that crap on YouTube or anywhere. The stupidity that goes along with filming and trying to make something special out of a hunt is absurd. All hunting programs are the same recycled turd some polish it a twist, but its still the same narcissistic content.

Wasting a dead elk is certainly something a stand up guy would say. The whole story leaves me shaking my head.
He was honest. That makes him a stand up guy. A lesser man would have lied, arranged to meet me, and then bushwhacked me with a citation and confiscation. If it had been up to him and five years earlier, he'd have advised bringing it in for a second license. Too many headhunters in the dept at that time ... and they weren't hunting heads with antlers either. Typical govt. Incompetents trying to move up fast by making themselves look good at anyone's expense. He wouldn't make a promise he couldn't keep. Admirable.

So we’re supposed to believe OH has this happen to him TWICE? Come on, guy!

Combined I am sure the people reading this have thousands of kills, some picked out of a herd…how many with that magical deflect?

I'll be showing my kids this as an example of what not to do. @ 7:25, the guy shoots a bull with a cow directly behind it.

Yep, I am also "Speechless" at the asinine shooting, all caught on film with the dumbest soundtrack ever. This is not storming the beaches of Normandy or Braveheart....good grief. This 307 Pursuit or WTF ever needs to put down the camera and re-read Fair Chase and retake Hunter's Ed.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back