what is the most under loved cut of meat

Innards. In some parts they are thought to be high end stuff. Most turn their noses up, must be the fragrance.

Shank, I put in the slow cooker for around 5 hours, then strip the meat with a fork (like you would with pulled pork) mix with bbq sauce and put it in a bap with caramelised onions.

The skirt, I never save it in deer, but the easiest way, separate the eosophagus from the rear of the windpipe, break all the connective tissue into the chest cavity, into the guts, gently release the stomach and start pulling, the feed tube should pull through, empty the guts etc out of the deer and then you can see the undamaged skirt.
I do buy beef skirt, it is fantastic in pasties!

Cheers

Richard
Richard, there are likely only one in a dozen of us who know what a pasty is and even fewer who have had the pleasure, so you might have to share your best recipe for that Cornish treasure.

Mention a pasty to me and I visualize an image of the harbour at Mousehole.

Haven't tried the cured and slow cooked in fat method but its on the shortlist! We cook them in the crockpot or pressure cooker until the meat is fork tender, shred/pull, and use in all kinds of recipes. Most of the hunters around here breast out their geese and toss the legs and thighs in the ditch. Then again they do the same thing with turkey legs, duck legs, pheasant legs.... However of all the legs, the geese are the best combo of hassle free and meat yield.
Much the same here ever since hunting and harvesting game went from supplementing the household food larder to being a sport to test man's primal instincts less and less value has been placed on all portions of edible meat on an animal and all too many birders just take the easy part and feed the varmints with the remainder just because it was a bit of trouble. Much more generous bag limits in recent years have added to that trend. I was brought up to believe if you threw away any reasonably edible portion then you weren't paying the animal the respect it deserved.

Neck. I think it's a crime to leave it, though it's not even required to take in WY. I've often ground the neck roasts into burger, but it's fantastic stuff when slowed cooked properly. Once the connective tissue breaks down, the meat that's left is of a terrific flavor.

Richard, there are likely only one in a dozen of us who know what a pasty is and even fewer who have had the pleasure, so you might have to share your best recipe for that Cornish treasure.

Mention a pasty to me and I visualize an image of the harbour at Mousehole.
Can't believe you have been to Mousehole (pronounced Muzzle!) and tasted the best pasties in the world.
I do have a recipe from an award winning pasty maker, but I am sworn to secrecy!

Of course Montana does have their own company, but looking at the recipe for the dough, it is slightly wrong, and it's the technique that is also crucial!

Can't believe you have been to Mousehole (pronounced Muzzle!) and tasted the best pasties in the world.
I do have a recipe from an award winning pasty maker, but I am sworn to secrecy!

Of course Montana does have their own company, but looking at the recipe for the dough, it is slightly wrong, and it's the technique that is also crucial!
Yes, and it's worth pointing out that Butte has a heritage of those coming from Ireland and other places in the British Isles. So it's a Montana British import.
Thank-you!

Yes, and it's worth pointing out that Butte has a heritage of those coming from Ireland and other places in the British Isles. So it's a Montana British import.
Thank-you!
Just to give you some history, they originated in my neighbouring county of Cornwall, England, although if truth be told the Cornish regard themselves as Celts, well some hard liners do, and Celts are Scottish, Irish, Wales, Isle of Man and some other European parts....now get making your pasties!
But in addition to the meat, onion, potato, make sure you had swede, or if you can't get it, turnip

Cheers
Richard

I remember seeing Mousehole on the map during our trip but didn't go that far. Turned back after we went to Marazion for St. Michael's Mount. On the day it was closed. 😞

we have always looked at shanks as a pain in the neck. but now they are rapidly becoming some of our favorite meat, my wife has a crock pot shank recipe that is out of this world. the same with the neck meat, done right in the crockpot they are incredible.

How about that recipe? I keep reading about how good they are but have never cooked one.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back