what is the most under loved cut of meat

I like the pheasant legs, slow cooked in chicken stock or broth. I found half a dozen pheasants this year in a parking area that had been breasted and the legs were still attached to the birds laying in the ditch near the parking lot.

Second the flat iron. I also have been saving the skirt Steaks even on a deer where there is hardly anything to them. Hardly anyone even bothers to save the skirt Steaks...
Any advice on doing this on deer? I find things get pretty messy when I am reaching in trying to separate the diaphragm (skirt) and haul everything out. I haven’t had much success saving that cut on deer. Where I hunt I am never driving them out whole though.

Lambs tails. Had some BBQed during my last safari in South Africa. They're a bit fiddly but quite tasty.

Any advice on doing this on deer? I find things get pretty messy when I am reaching in trying to separate the diaphragm (skirt) and haul everything out. I haven’t had much success saving that cut on deer. Where I hunt I am never driving them out whole though.
I always try to hang my deer to process them in the field. Here is a photo my wife's coues buck we just got and we were able to find a mesquite just tall enough to do it. With them hung by the hind legs, we get the hide off and then remove all the rib meat, front shoulders, backstraps and neck meat. We then carefully open up the flank and remove the flank all as one full cut of meat (also a very tasty and under appreciated cut of meat). The stomach and guts will fall out and give us easy access to the tenderloins to remove. Finally, we reach in and remove the skirt steaks. Its not messy because gravity is keeping all of the blood from the chest cavity down.

20221225_193333.jpg

I always try to hang my deer to process them in the field. Here is a photo my wife's coues buck we just got and we were able to find a mesquite just tall enough to do it. With them hung by the hind legs, we get the hide off and then remove all the rib meat, front shoulders, backstraps and neck meat. We then carefully open up the flank and remove the flank all as one full cut of meat (also a very tasty and under appreciated cut of meat). The stomach and guts will fall out and give us easy access to the tenderloins to remove. Finally, we reach in and remove the skirt steaks. Its not messy because gravity is keeping all of the blood from the chest cavity down.

View attachment 260535
Thanks. That makes sense. I love those little Coues too!

I learned about this cut last year. I'm a big fan...
Is that the big chunk from the side of the neck? Whatever that is called would be my choice for under loved. I normally grind it but think it would make great fajitas/tacos.

Canada goose thighs and legs
When I was a wee lad, there was a businessman that supplied products to our family's business. He allowed me to hunt geese on a lake he controlled which was very near a waterfowl preserve. He only asked that I leave behind all but the breasts. His wife had a gall bladder issue or some allergy, I forget now as this was 50 years ago, but the goose meat hunters donated to him was blended up and became the main protein source when it was available. He served me and a high school buddy breakfast one time and there was a goose meat breakfast sausage patty of some configuration of meat and who knows what else. Smelled like liver and did not melt in the mouth but with cream pepper gravy, eggs, hash browns, homemade biscuits and bacon...my buddy and I soldiered through the oddity.

Shank, I put in the slow cooker for around 5 hours, then strip the meat with a fork (like you would with pulled pork) mix with bbq sauce and put it in a bap with caramelised onions.

The skirt, I never save it in deer, but the easiest way, separate the eosophagus from the rear of the windpipe, break all the connective tissue into the chest cavity, into the guts, gently release the stomach and start pulling, the feed tube should pull through, empty the guts etc out of the deer and then you can see the undamaged skirt.
I do buy beef skirt, it is fantastic in pasties!

Cheers

Richard

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back