Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What is America's all time best, purely civilian hunting cartridge?

Wounding is 95% on the hunter and 5% circumstances beyond the hunter's control (like an animal moving at the exact instance of the trigger pull). Cartridges don't wound animals. Hunters pick the bullets, hunters select the cartridge, hunters determine shot placement, hunters determine the acceptable distance of the shot, hunters are accountable for their shooting accuracy, hunters read the wind, etc.

Typical libs. Always blaming the gun.

Wounding is 95% on the hunter and 5% circumstances beyond the hunter's control (like an animal moving at the exact instance of the trigger pull). Cartridges don't wound animals. Hunters pick the bullets, hunters select the cartridge, hunters determine shot placement, hunters determine the acceptable distance of the shot, hunters are accountable for their shooting accuracy, hunters read the wind, etc.
Agreed. In order to make a bad shot you have to take a bad shot.

I have had four 30-30's. Three model 94's and one Marlin 336. The marlin was far more accurate and versatile with scope capacity, maybe even stronger too. But is was more bulky, clumsy and not as flat and saddle friendly.

I have two model 94 30-30's now. one basis saddle carbine and one with a 24 inch octagonal barrel.

Both have saddle rings as I am a horseman.

I do not think there is a more hand friendly, easy toting rifle that a 94 30-30 carbine.

It really isn't just America's favorite rifle, it is North Americas' favorite rifle. They are all over Canada and Mexico as well.

South of the border they area called "Mi Novia" my girlfriend.

Along the way I have also has two savage 99's, a 250/3000 and a Savage 300, both fine calibers.

I was never a fan of the 25-06, finding in too heavy for light work and too light for heavy work. I did however have a .257 Roberts.

I replaced it with a 6.5x55 Swede,,,,but there are times when I missed my "Bob" as the .257 was so often called. That .257 was my first desert rifle. It served me very well and was a fine choice for smaller desert deer.

I said Slim Pickens, sir. Not John Wayne.

Marion preferred the 32-40. Lighter recoil & easier to shoot horseback. My 94 is in 32-40 as well. It was my grandmother's deer rifle. It's about like a 357 Magnum out of a rifle. 165 grain bullet at 1500 fps. With the Octagonal bbl & full magazine (sporting model) it has the recoil of a 22 mag.
??? You are probably the only one here that would say a .22 has recoil

Last edited:
??? You are probably the only one here that would cay a .22 has recoil
Like I'm rich enough to go shooting 22's willy-nilly. I save those for when I'm impressing the locals with my horde of brass & lead wealth.

The difference between a 30-30 and a 32-40 in terms of recoil is substantive. the 32-40 is a very mild cartridge, very popular with target shooters & schutzen guys. It's an old BP round that has been adapted for smokeless, but is considered underpowered for big game hunting now. It's a kitten in the hand, and I can see where a guy whose career was about making believe he was a tough cowboy would want a mild recoiling rifle in his hands as he galivants across the west.

He was in movies, not real life gunplay. Having a Colt that shoots 43 times & a Winchester that doesn't recoil was part of the charm.

Like I'm rich enough to go shooting 22's willy-nilly. I save those for when I'm impressing the locals with my horde of brass & lead wealth.

The difference between a 30-30 and a 32-40 in terms of recoil is substantive. the 32-40 is a very mild cartridge, very popular with target shooters & schutzen guys. It's an old BP round that has been adapted for smokeless, but is considered underpowered for big game hunting now. It's a kitten in the hand, and I can see where a guy whose career was about making believe he was a tough cowboy would want a mild recoiling rifle in his hands as he galivants across the west.

He was in movies, not real life gunplay. Having a Colt that shoots 43 times & a Winchester that doesn't recoil was part of the charm.
If I'm ever to be blasting whitetails from a tree with a rifle...it's going to be with a 32-40.

BTW, do you reload for yours?

If I'm ever to be blasting whitetails from a tree with a rifle...it's going to be with a 32-40.

BTW, do you reload for yours?

I've got an Model 1886 in 33wcf that I've taken elk hunting. I'd use that before the 32-40, but that's because it's got the standard bbl and not the 30" one. But, that 32-40 would be good deer medicine out to about 100 yards. I'd be leery beyond that, personally.

I do load for it. It shoots tight for an original 1904 Rifle. About 4" at 100 yards with the buckhorn sights. Neck tension is key, especially since Speer & Hornady stopped making 32-40 specific bullets. The 32 special pills work, but the cannelure is off from where you want it for proper COL & aesthetics. I've got about 500 cast bullets laying around in 165 specifically for the Winchester, and then a few hundred 165's & 208's for the Ballard Schutzen, that I've shot once in 8 years.

I've got an Model 1886 in 33wcf that I've taken elk hunting. I'd use that before the 32-40, but that's because it's got the standard bbl and not the 30" one. But, that 32-40 would be good deer medicine out to about 100 yards. I'd be leery beyond that, personally.

I do load for it. It shoots tight for an original 1904 Rifle. About 4" at 100 yards with the buckhorn sights. Neck tension is key, especially since Speer & Hornady stopped making 32-40 specific bullets. The 32 special pills work, but the cannelure is off from where you want it for proper COL & aesthetics. I've got about 500 cast bullets laying around in 165 specifically for the Winchester, and then a few hundred 165's & 208's for the Ballard Schutzen, that I've shot once in 8 years.
I'm going to have to find some 170 or 165 cast bullets...and start reloading. Have a pretty good supply of brass.

I'm going to have to find some 170 or 165 cast bullets...and start reloading. Have a pretty good supply of brass.

I really like IMR 4198 in mine. Or, use 40 grains of FFFG and clean it a lot more. ;)

I think any of the cast 165's would work just fine. Just be sure to get the right neck tension & crimp well.

I say that might be a good answer but I prefer the 280 Rem. Actually with the variety of game we have I don't think there's a right answer to this. I figure depending on the shooter's ability and willingness to work withing the limits of the cartridge, it could be anything! Old indian woman in Canada has the #2 grizzy bear in the world with a 22 long. What can I say. She knew exactly what she was doing and how to use the cartridge she used! And then there's probably someone else thinks the only cartridge worth hunting deer with is a 458 Win Mag just in case you run into a bear! Myself I like 6'5's and 7mm's but, I don't delude myself that they are the be all of cartridges! Shoot, didn't Bell kill a bunch of elephants with the 6.5? Oh yea but it was a European cartridge. Then again what difference would it make if those 6.5 bullet's came out of a European case or say a 260 case? I think the best of anything is always an assumption on the part of the person making the claim!
Good to hear from you Don,

I have great appreciation for the sub-magnum 7mm’s. I have had two 7x57’s, a 280 Rem, , and now a 280AI

I believe that the .280 or 280AI are as close to a prefect do everything caliber as possible.

I really saw their merit over the.270 when I was shooting lots of large, even some huge wild boar with depredation permits on vast barley ranches. The heavier bullets of the 7mm family were definitely a killing upgrade over the .270.

The .270 improved big time when I went to Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets, but them so did the .280.

All that merit aside however, When I read the writing on the barrel of my pre-64,,,,,,

”Made in New Haven, Connecticut U S of America, Winchester Proof Steel, Winchester trade Mark, MODEL 70 270 WIN”,

Well suddenly that rifle feels as right in right in my hands as my model 94 30-30!

Model 94 30-30, Model 70 270,,,,and throw in my Winchester model 54 with “30 Gov’t 06” stamped on the barrel,,,,and I am going back home again.

My Belgium FN’s have been fine,,,and Sako’s so sweet,,,,,BUT

Okay, a few last made in USAadditions, my Marlin 39 lever action .22 and my pair of Ithaca model 37 pump shotguns, one in 12 gauge and the other in 20 gauge with the smaller frame, yes I know their limitations compared to more modern firearms,,,but,,,well,,,here is my answer to that,

Mustangs Rule

Cool, at least you know some people who hunt with them...would be the very last rifle I pulled from a whole cabinet full, even if 40 yard whitetails from a tree was on the menu.
Have a buddy packing one in Africa right now. mtmuley

Military, military, military ,,,,,,love the cartridge,,,,had four,,,,but not civilian origin
30-06. Yep I never payed attention reading this and goofed. I apologize my mistake. I clearly knew it had it's start as a military cartridge. Let's just say I had a brain fart!

280AI and/or 280 Remington. (All North American game except for Kodiak bears and polar bears.)
6mm Remington (gophers-coyotes-antelope-mule deer & whitetails)

Taking a close-range deer is more harvesting than shooting. The nostalgia of the 30-30 makes the harvesting a little more fun for some of us. Hunting here is definitely different than hunting there - including the cultures around hunting.
I agree, actually I picked one up a few years ago and packed it three days this past season only to leave it behind one rainy day which you would guess I tagged out on.
I fully intend on taking a nice buck with it this year. It brings me back to my youth as that was the only deer rifle we owned in the house. It's very common in the mountains of the East especially the Appalachian mountains. Great brush guns! I had forgotten how fun they were until last year.

Last edited:
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back