Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What is America's all time best, purely civilian hunting cartridge?

The First Nation individual who posted on post 75 might disagree with you. And, I believe her cartridge of choice was American made and not derived from a military cartridge and is used from Wolf to Bear
She very well may, BUT a lot of Eskimo’s have successfully used a .222Rem on game animals that few in the lower 48 would ever attempt it on. Just a nod toward their success with it.

She very well may, BUT a lot of Eskimo’s have successfully used a .222Rem on game animals that few in the lower 48 would ever attempt it on. Just a nod toward their success with it.
Shameful admission. I killed a mule deer buck with a .222 Remington. mtmuley

Yeah, we have the age old question of "what is the best caliber for ---" down to science.

We must have, not just a minimum of a 30 caliber to hunt Bison, but also a minimum of a 180 gr bullet and a minimum of 2800 ft/lbs of energy

But it is o.k. to hunt Polar Bears with a .22

And you wonder why we can not give you a time frame for when the border will open :cautious:

I am really surprised nobody has suggeded a 35 Whelen. I have had two. Still have on. Beyond all the typical use it can also use jacketed defense pistol bullets, tons of light lead loads for practice and small game and with the 1 in 16 twist custom shot loads with the Speer plastic shot capsules work Ok. Will easily take a grouse out of a tree.

I did two trips to Alaska with my 35 Whelen, Bought a non-res, small game lisence for $20 and hunted grouse and arctic hare,,,,big bunnys using a light chargre of Unique behind a 158 grain wadcutter.

Unequaled game field utility.

I am also surprised that nobody even mentioned the 250/3000 or the 250 Savage. They are not the same. The latter came later had a twist for heavier bullets.

Going way back Savage even made a scaled down bolt action rifle for the 250/3000. It was iron sights only, no chance to mount a scope but with peep sights it was really the first "Mountain Rifle' totaly adequite for goats, sheep and deer.

It was so very light. I cannot recall the model.

That would have been a fine rifle to live off he land with. It was forgotton after the .243 came on the scene, even more so now with all the 6.5' but it was a pioneer cartridge. I had a Savage 99 in the 250/3000.

I shot a few deer with it, they dropped in thier tracks.

Savage actually made an exchangable three barrel set for the take down 99. Savage, 250/3000 and a single shot 410 barrel

I don’t own one and never have but given the civilian only credentials of this thread it’s gotta be the .270 or 7mm Rem. Mag.

If you're looking for "best" as in best designed, 6.5 creedmoor or 284 win are nicely designed cartridges. Not really a fair fight for the stuff that was designed 125 years ago and offers lousy performance by modern standards (30-30).

Gold standard for many years was the 338 win mag. There wasn't an animal it couldn't kill.

Still extremely effective for anything from a deer to a moose or brown bear. High BC bullets with good speeds make it tough to beat if you aren't afraid of a little kick!

I'd also say a 270 win and 7 rem mag rank up there too.

Why do people think nthere's a best of anything? The best rifle cartridge for hunting is the one in your hands, learn to us it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back