Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What hunting clothing brand do you use??

What brand of clothing do you wear?

• Sitka

Votes: 45 23.7%
  • First Lite

Votes: 43 22.6%
  • Kuiu

Votes: 53 27.9%
  • Stone Glacier

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Badlands

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Kings Camo

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Cabelas/Bass Pro

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Multiple brands

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • Hand me downs

Votes: 18 9.5%
  • Blue jeans and flannels

Votes: 30 15.8%

• Total voters
Lots of Eddie Bauer, first ascent line.

Guide pro pants, base layers, evertherm puffy, etc.

I'm tall and have to find brands that fit, so it's pretty limited.

Beg to differ, $240 Sitka and kryptek pants rip and tear just as easy if not easier than Walmart mossy oak. I’d rather buy the same pants 5 times and still be ahead financially… cost and value. My opinions are probably the most hated on HT though 😜

Lol, probably because your opinions couldn't be more wrong! I could walk you through why, but ignorance is bliss ;)

What brand of clothing do you wear and why? Has it been good to you? Have you switched brands? What do you look for when picking a clothing brand?
I use Kiui tends to be a better fit for me, like their solid color collection to use out and about.

Lol, probably because your opinions couldn't be more wrong! I could walk you through why, but ignorance is bliss ;)
Kryptek cost just as much as Sitka but I’m wrong? It’s the same exact material just different colors but I don’t fit in! Lmao whatever.

SKRE. They are a Hurricane, Utah based company. I pass by their headquarters every time I go to our cabin so I usually stop in. Their gear is comfortable, good fit, warm and more reasonably priced than the legacy companies.

I'm leaving for my Nevada archery cow hunt the day after tomorrow and based on the long range forecast, I'll get a chance to see how good their new rain gear is.

Lots of Eddie Bauer, first ascent line.

Guide pro pants, base layers, evertherm puffy, etc.

I'm tall and have to find brands that fit, so it's pretty limited.

The Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants are awesome. They have discontinued most of the earth tone colors which makes me sad.

I have a lot of First Lite. A good bit of Sitka and Drake. Smartwool and Meriwool socks and base layers. Danish Endurance merino blend socks are an excellent value. I also still have quite a bit of older Red Head and Cabela’s stuff that I like.

I research gear and then buy what I can find on sales... I'm willing to wait an exceedingly long time.

For instance my rain jacket is an Arc'Teryx jacket with an MSRP of like $500, I was able to mix a couple discount codes at REI and got it for $140, then I added my member dividend and walked away with it for $100.

Got a sitka wading jacket for $85 off ebay... downpour pants and jacket set for $175. etc. etc.

Ever piece of hunting gear I own has been a gift or was bought with a big discount, only exceptions are SG pack, Tikka Rifle, and boots.

Last edited:
For early season can you tell the difference between merino and like a Nike dry fit?
It just seems like any shirt you sweet your ass off in for 3 days straight is just never gonna be the same no matter what it’s made out of 🤷‍♂️

For early season can you tell the difference between merino and like a Nike dry fit?
100%, merino or the bamboo material FreeFly use smells waaaaaaay less than cotton, and an order of magnitude better than polyester. Synthetics in general stink the most.

Merino or synthetic will dry much faster than cotton as well.

If your not backpack hunting, or if your changing your clothes there probably isn't much advantage, but if you're hunting 5 days straight in a shirt/boxers it's nice to have merino.

I wear multiple different brands from base layers to outer wear, however, I’ve been buying Kuiu over the last couple years. I like the fit/comfort, weight and durability so far

100%, merino or the bamboo material FreeFly use smells waaaaaaay less than cotton, and an order of magnitude better than polyester. Synthetics in general stink the most.

Merino or synthetic will dry much faster than cotton as well.

If your not backpack hunting, or if your changing your clothes there probably isn't much advantage, but if you're hunting 5 days straight in a shirt/boxers it's nice to have merino.
+1 on Freefly as a base layer, their shirts/hoodies/underwear are the base I start hunting every single day with. I do wear sitka underlayer bottoms, but only because freefly doesn't make any in bamboo. That and some pro-compression merino socks to keep blood flowing to my feet and you have a solid base layer.

A mix of Sitka, Simms, Drake, Carhartt, First Lite.......all were gifts or bought on sale. I remember getting pretty good deals on some First Lite stuff back when they had the realtree pattern and were discontinuing it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back