What does this bird have?

Hilljackoutlaw

So there is bald and golden eagles a plenty where this pic was taken and an assortment of hawks. But what the hell did this bird get? First pic on ground and 18 minutes later its flying off. Screenshot_20200630-171712_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200630-171746_Gallery.jpg

Based on size I'd call it a Redtail, but possibly a Cooper's. Raptor legs are deceptively long. It could be any small game animal around. They aren't that picky. Rabbit, squirrel, vole?

Rabbit. It's upside down as the bird is flying away. That's my best guess although whale d*ck is a strong possibility as well.

DINNER that birds got dinner , looks like a marmot to me, I see what look like a face with ears look back and the bird has it behind the neck , and what looks like eyes the a light brown snout, It’s so blurry but that’s what this old man’s eyes make out of that picture
FCE9A304-23B7-4D8E-906E-E10A608A9DE9.jpeg

Last edited:
Those pics are just too crappy. I can barely tell there’s even an elk in that pic! Maybe try using a modern day camera next time. Oh and hold still.

The bird is a Red-tailed Hawk and it has a small mammal (rabbit or squirrel). While monitoring raptor nests I have seen two Golden Eagles bring mule deer fawns to a nest: the same nest two different years. Not likely that anything smaller than an eagle would target a deer.

Thank you @Oak
There was 2 red tail hawks hanging out in the immediate area when I got there so I figured as much, but the picturea had me thrown off a bit.

what make of game camera took that? I'll be sure to never buy that brand.

Back