MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What does "Being in shape" mean to you?

Some good guidelines here. ButI am reminded that I seem to kill a lot more on day 3 of a hunt. Why? Well, I'm not trying to kick my ass and walk everywhere and see everything. I'm moving slower and quieter, using my glass, and being efficient with my energy expenditure. Sure, I've narrowed down where I'm seeing game. and NOT seeing game, but I'm worn down enough that I'm not walking by and missing spotting game either.

Not an excuse for not being in shape, but an observation.....

Drink lots of water, avoid alcohol at all cost, don't be hungry and be patient on the climbs.
You're going to be fine!!!!
Enjoy!!!

Agree with this great advise except, "avoid alcohol at all cost", to me is a limiting belief. I enjoy a shot or two with dinner and after. Sleep sound, mind at rest. Up before sunrise. It seems no matter what shape one starts at, the Hunt makes it real.

So here is what I have learned and some advice, from a guy that resides in flat northern IN. I have never been in the best shape when I go outwest and I always survive, now my mule deer hunt in the tetons, I thought I might lol. But 70#'s on my back and going up one of the steepest nasties mountains I did it to my self. The next year I was in the big horns with a 40# pack and that was a cake walk. Get in the best shape you can, lose as much weight as you can or need to. It doesn't matter if your caring an extra 15# on your body or in a pack, it will effect your physical exertion the same. You can't compensate for the altitude change, don't buy into the training mask.

Make sure you have a good pack, don't over load it, stay hydrated, eat foods high in fat while your on your hunt. Fat calories are probably the most important source for energy. If you can start working out fasted. This will get your body used to burning fat for energy vs carbs. If your body is used to using the carbs you supply for energy while working out, it will slow down when those calories are used up, it will switch to burning fat for energy but it isn't used to it so your body will slow down.

I don't think us "flatlanders" can truly prepare like guys that live there. Lack of elevation and altitude changes are hard for us to train for. The best you can do is put yourself in the best possible version to be able to succeed.

Like others have said the altitude is the biggest unknown for people. A guy I work with is in really good shape. He is older than me but I am pretty sure he puts in 3 plus miles a day running during the week. He went out to CO to do a hiking/camping day. On the second day altitude sickness hit and it was no joke. He said he felt like he was going to die. They hiked down as soon as he hit the truck he was fine.

"Being in shape" to me is defined within the mind. I've seen potbellies deep in the woods, just the same.
"Being in shape" is the mental fortitude to place one foot in front of the other. Switchbacks or rucksacking it through downfall... One foot in front of the other. Seen pansies in physical shape wimper whereas a packer with some extra pudding shut his/her piehole and ruck on through the calf burning, hip-joint aching miles to camp.
Physically fit and mental strength to push on make it all the better though go run a few miles... When it burns, it's the wake up to get over the burn.

Meh, ramblings of a guy with a bit of pudding and a dose of physical impairment that gets out there as often as able...

I like the many references in this thread advising to "drink a lot of water".

So true, among other things, dehydration causes one to not sleep well which of course leads to poor performance.

Any time I'm not sleeping well it's usually due to not paying attention to water intake.

As far as the definition of "being in shape", well, the statement itself is qualitative preventing a defined standard to be applied.

For me, being able to move my a$$ over long distances (say, 10 -12 miles/day with a pack) at high altitudes at sustainable rates with occasional necessary bursts of speed works.

As others have pointed out, there is the mental component of fitness.

It won't matter how fit you are if you can't/aren't willing to suck it up and push yourself, so mental training is a very high priority, too.

Agree with this great advise except, "avoid alcohol at all cost", to me is a limiting belief. I enjoy a shot or two with dinner and after. Sleep sound, mind at rest. Up before sunrise. It seems no matter what shape one starts at, the Hunt makes it real.
Maybe coincidence? I've never seen anything usher in altitude sickness like even low to moderate alcohol consumption.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back