What does "Being in shape" mean to you?

AtenJones

It seems that every single piece of advice I read on any forum, article, tea-leaves etc. all say the same thing: "be in shape". Regardless of unit, everyone says "Man, that's some rough country. You better be in shape."

So - what does that mean? I'm heading to Colorado in a couple weeks for my first archery hunt, and I live in Southern Ohio, so I have absolutely nothing to base what the experience is actually like. I run/mountain bike/swim/workout about 5 days a week. I can hike for 10 miles here with basically zero effort - and could probably go farther, just don't have the time very often. But, am I in the best shape of my life? Not hardly. I've got about 15 lbs I could stand to lose, and am not a world class athlete by any stretch.

Am I going to die? Should I have Search and Rescue on standby? Do I need to be able to complete a full Ironman before even thinking of heading into the back-country? Or, does in-shape mean "As long as you don't sit on your butt eating potato chips all Summer, you'll probably be fine"?

I see dudes like Cam Haynes who are out there absolutely killing themselves every single day, and posting 100 selfies on Instagram of their workouts. Then I see guys like Randy and Rinella who are skinny and basically just walk around a ton - and they seem to be fine.

I know it's a different answer for each person, but I'm just trying to get some benchmarks.

Thanks!

You'll be absolutely fine. Expect the altitude to hit you for a day or two, but I can tell you I am no world class athlete and work out far less than you, but I can make it up and down and survive.

Your cardio is going to be fine. Depending on the elevation you will be hunting and camping at, you will experience some winding. Oversimplified but the air at 8000 feet will have about 75% of the oxygen you have at sea level to 1000 feet.

The past years I have gone to New Mexico, we camp at 9000 feet and everything we hunt is within 1000 or so vertical feet of that number. Day 1 and 2 are rough but day 3 and following are fine. As far as in shape goes, so much of your experience depends on your mentality and the extent you are willing to push. Good luck!

If you only have a couple weeks left before your trip start drinking a gallon of water a day. When you start your hunt your body will tell you when to slow down or stop. I am 69 and don't have a problem out west. Drink water !!!! It will help with the altitude.

Being in shape is, like you say, not so cut and dry. From my experience, people from the Midwest who venture into these western mountains for the first time will be somewhat unprepared for the mountains and the steepness regardless, though those that have good cardio health acclimate much quicker. It's just so hard to train to hike steep uphill for multiple hours with a pack on when such places don't really exist in the Midwest. I would expect to get tired/sore in your "climbing muscles" regardless for a few days, and maybe huff and puff on that thin air as well. But if you run as much as you say, you should be just fine shortly into the hunt.

I always wish I was in better shape, but a good attitude and determination goes a long way. If it gets rough, just go a little slower, leave camp earlier, etc.

Your going to be just fine. I go to CO every year from VA and have no problems other then slight altitude sickness a few times. Just take it easy the first few days and drink tons of water. After the first few days you will be able to head up any mountain you want. Good luck

Give yourself a day or two, if you can, to acclimate to the altitude. Don't just head directly into the hills and start climbing/hiking. Altitude sickness is no fun. Canned o2 is a great thing. Your cardio should be just fine. And like pabearhunter said......hydrate like crazy before, during and after your trip!! Oh and GOOD LUCK!!

As others here have indicated, listen to your body and you will be fine. Depending on the elevation you are hunting you will be easily gassed for a few days but take it slow and make sure you are staying hydrated. My mid-50's dad who is completely out of shape and lives basically at sea level has backpacked with me up to 12,000 ft. I imagine with the activity level indicated your body will adapt just fine.

I work out 7 days a week with a wide variety of programs, Gym/free weights, yoga, running, and hiking. Nothing gets you into mountain shape like hiking regularly in the mountains with weight on your back. However, all those other things help build and maintain a foundation in my experience. I can honestly say Yoga has helped tremendously with balance and flexibility which I find crucial for hiking through dead fall, hoping over logs/rocks, etc. I realize not everyone who wants to hunt out west is fortunate enough to hike in the mountains down the street on any given weekend so just do what you can on hiking trails at home with 30+ lbs on hour back IMO. Sand bags filled to your liking are the best at mimicking a pack full of meat. Altitude will be a factor, so show up early on your hunt and start to acclimate yourself. For the guys on both sides of the spectrum I look at it like this, yes you can be successful hunting from your truck, or only hiking 1/2 mile in, but are you optimizing your capabilities and opportunities? Most likely not....

I think you'll be fine. You sound to be in about the same shape as me, maybe even a little better.

As someone mentioned a bit of time to acclimate is good and hydration is key. No matter what you'll be sucking air through you're mouth and drying out. For me a water bladder and the ability to sip constantly is a big help.

Once you have meat on you're back the real fitness test begins.

Being in shape physically is very important. Everyone has their own personal version of what being "in shape" is, but lets not forget to throw mental endurance into the overall fitness equation. If a person is in average shape and has superior mental strength/endurance and the strong will to keep grinding and hunting hard, that person more times than not is going to outperform and out hunt the person who is in extremely great physical shape but lacks the mental endurance to keep facing the constant adversity that backcountry hunting tends to serve up on a silver platter. If you go into your archery hunt knowing its going to be a ba!! dragger, and you're willing to do anything it takes to rise above the pain and discomfort, then you're already ahead of the game. As you start archery hunting western big game more, and spending more time in rough country, you'll start getting a better idea of what kind of physical shape YOU need to be in to be more successful. We can go on for hours about what an individual considers to be success, but we'll save that for another thread. Enjoy your hunt, stay positive, HAVE FUN, and good luck this year in CO.

I think you'll be fine. You sound to be in about the same shape as me, maybe even a little better.

As someone mentioned a bit of time to acclimate is good and hydration is key. No matter what you'll be sucking air through you're mouth and drying out. For me a water bladder and the ability to sip constantly is a big help.

Once you have meat on you're back the real fitness test begins.

It is very shocking just how dry Colorado is!! I lived in Arizona for a few years and believe it or not, Colorado is much more dry! Hydration is huge here!!

"What does 'Being in shape' mean to you?" In a general since not having my body and level of fitness restrict what I can do.

With regard to hunting this means being able to pursue animals as long and far as I want to without having to turn back because I'm exhausted.

A huge component endurance sports, of which I would include hunting, is mental toughness. In the specific context of hunting this doesn't just mean the ability to push yourself physically but also to overcome general adversity and calmly deal with whatever situation you are presented with. Sure, you need to regularly do cardio and weight work, but at the end of the day you could work out 7 days a week 'hammering' and be a monster of fitness, but you wont be as success as the guy who is willing to sit in the rain or snow being cold for hours or go without food for a day or simply just keep going back out day after day without getting discouraged.

A great example is Rinella on those POW Sikta black tail hunts, sure that is a physical hunt but he is successful because he is willing being miserable for days on end.

One of my favorite people to hunt with is my buddy who is a MD, sure I have several friends who are ski/climbing/mt bums who are in phenomenal shape, and yeah my MD buddy probably could lose some weight and maybe only exercises haphazardly, but when it comes to mental toughness and just being able to gut out a shitty situations with a positive attitude I don't know anyone who could hold a candle to him. That guy gets in early, stays late and will take whatever is thrown at him with a level head, that's the dude I want on my team you can keep the flat brim bros with 85lbs on the atlas trainers posting selfies all summer.

At 68 the work I put in for hunting season hits all the basics. Cardio; hike a 1.75 mile trail at an 8% grade twice a week, bike 26 miles during a week, and use a stair climber when the weather is not cooperating. Strength:twice a week I attend a "body-pump" class (high reps lower weight). Flexibility; I do yoga three times a week for balance and flexibility .
The payoff, a couple of weeks ago took a 4 mile hike at 10,400 into a remote lake for some fly fishing. Carried about 35 pounds of gear, and bushwhacked the whole way. Did I sweat, yep. Out of breath yep. Did I make it yep.

I used to be in phoneominal shape. It was nothing for me to leave at midnight after work. Drive 2-3 hours, hike in 10-14 miles, scout all day, then hike out in the dark and drive home. I would pack both hind quarters bone in on a bull 3-5 miles and be perfectly fine. Heck I packed in 110lbs on a backpack hunt once because my brother twisted his ankle and my dad was in bad shape so I carried a lot of their gear also. At that time my job was a lot more active and I would workout, run, hike, just do something everyday.

Now I work long hours like 12-18 a day. But it's not real physical. So I feel like I'm super out of shape even though I'm probably in average shape compared to most hunters. But after being at that next level I think its harder mentally. I think about how easy it was back in the day to throw on a pack for a weeklong hunt and I never even considered how much elevation or how many miles it was. Now I look at a map and wonder if I can pack camp and a boned out buck from that basin in one trip or if it will take me two.

So for me being in shape is being able to hunt anywhere I want. Being out of shape is not killing an animal or glassing that next basin because its just to far.

Regards, Branden

Much of the need for being fit when hunting deals with recovery. The better shape you are in and the better foods you eat, the quicker your recovery will be. That in turn will lead to more time in the field going after game. It sounds like you are in great shape so this archery hunt will be a great gauge, and then you can adjust your workout regiment next year depending on how the hunt progresses. Good luck!

You'll be alright. I'm not in my best shape but do fine out there. Just pace yourself. I'd mirror what everyone is saying in regards to altitude. Stay hydrated.

Many here have touched the need to be "mentally" in-shape playing a large role in success in the west, and I completely agree.

But in all things, everyone finds their balance between physical and mental toughness though. I know several folks who are incredibly mentally tough, and not in especially good shape. They are very successful, but it usually comes at a fairly high physical cost down the road. On the other hand, I have a couple friends who are in excellent physical condition, an they are successful because they know their physical abilities and due to their training they know how hard they can push themselves.

Me personally, I spend most of fairly limited training time packing weight around and getting in mountain biking for cardio. One of the bigger things I've adjusted to is doing my best to get in fairly high mileage (7 miles minimum) training hikes/walks with weight. One of the hardest mental challenges is to look across a 3+mile valley at 4-5 PM after going all day long knowing you have to cross it to get to where you need to (camp, a new glassing spot, etc). The higher mileage hikes, for me at least, really help with that mental state to push on when you're already tired.

So, I'll echo what everyone else is saying, you'll be fine, just make sure to mentally preparing yourself for both the unexpected challenges, and the expected physical and mental tiredness you'll experience.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back