Caribou Gear Tarp

What do you wear for hearing protection while big game hunting?

I have some custom molded ear plugs. They are on a string that hangs around my neck. If I think I may need a quick shot I'll put them half-way in and then just push them in all the way before the shot. I haven't shot an animal without wearing earplugs in 20 years.

One thing - you won't know about your hearing loss until it becomes so bad that people start pointing it out to you. By then it is too late.

I don't wear any hearing protection while hunting. Can't stand the inconvenience of having to worry about always having them available and then having to put them in before a shot. I just don't use a muzzle brake so I don't have to worry about it.

I don't wear any hearing protection while hunting. Can't stand the inconvenience of having to worry about always having them available and then having to put them in before a shot. I just don't use a muzzle brake so I don't have to worry about it.
Whether or not you use a muzzle brake shouldn't be the deciding factor on using hearing protection...

I wear SoundGear custom electronic hearing protection for all of my hunting. They're spendy but I don't need any additional hearing loss. They have adjustable volume and there are four settings to cut out the wind, etc. They work great and I never have to worry about putting in protection.

I've been using safariland impulse ear plugs for a couple years when hunting. They worked great dove hunting this season. They aren't the best to use on the range though.

I put mine in right before I shoot!
For many years I only used ear protection at the range. As I got older and wiser I started carrying foam ear plugs in my shirt pocket and put them in right before I shot, as Werty mentioned. I now wear foam plugs around my neck and put them in just before I shoot.
DMJb9spl.jpg

Whether or not you use a muzzle brake shouldn't be the deciding factor on using hearing protection...
Most centerfire rifles or pistols have a loud enough report to damage your hearing even without a muzzle brake.

For many years I only used ear protection at the range. As I got older and wiser I started carrying foam ear plugs in my shirt pocket and put them in right before I shot, as Werty mentioned. I now wear foam plugs around my neck and put them in just before I shoot.
DMJb9spl.jpg

Most centerfire rifles or pistols have a loud enough report to damage your hearing even without a muzzle brake.
Exactly. Most people think because their ears aren't ringing it isn't damaging. When that's not the case!

PS: That is a beautiful bear!

I'm using Dezibulls percussive ear plugs. So far the best I have found to be both functional and comfortable. Not perfect, but better than most. Reasonably affordable too.

I don't currently use anything. I think hearing the whap when a bullet strikes an animal is very important. I would like to try electronic hearing protection but have yet to.
By the time you realize that saving your hearing is more important that hearing bullet "whap", you won't be able to hear bullet "whap" anymore.

Losing a substantial part of your hearing sucks a lot more than you may think.

Losing a substantial part of your hearing sucks a lot more than you may think.
Sure does. Mine’s bad enough to require hearing aids and it’s tough to carry on a conversation without them (I’m not exactly elderly at 40 either). They’re onerous to wear when recreating outside in warmer weather. Makes tromping around in griz country extra interesting.

I find muffs get in the way at the range and prefer those multi colored foamies as they condense down better than most and really get in the ear canal before expanding. That said, I’ll probably try to revisit muffs with a low profile version to use in conjunction with the foamies.

In the field I don’t use em though. Need to rectify this with some around the neck ones next season.

Back