What do you wear for hearing protection while big game hunting?

A207X2

I'm particularly interested to learn what you wear when in grizzly country. Do you constantly wear something? Do you only put them on when ready to take the shot?

I don't wear anything in grizzly country. When I want to constantly wear something while hunting: Radians mold to fit plugs or Surefire Sonic Defenders depending on whether I need to hear quieter sounds. More often I put in Howard Leight plugs on a band just before shooting.

My kids much prefer the 3M plugs on a band. They get a better seal they say. So head and ear canal size differences will lead different people to different products.

I was born deaf in my left ear so before I leave the truck I stuff a good foam earplug in it, then before I shoot I transfer it to my right ear. My left ear is a nice placeholder :)

When the government actually sends back the paperwork I’ll be shooting with a suppressor, too.

My suppressor. I carried a number of different styles for years but never seemed to get them in my ears in time when the moment arrived. To focused on getting stable for a shot.

I bring a pair of those disposable foam ear plugs with me hunting, there has been only a handful times over the years, where I had time to put them in before taking the shot.

I wear the earplugs with a hard band on them around my next. Takes just a second to put them in.

Muffs at the range.

Foam ear plugs when dove hunting.

Nothing for all other hunting.

Rifle hunting, none. Might wear foam plugs dove shooting, but in general, no protection while hunting. At the range, close to religious about it.

I've never considered ear pro while rifle hunting, but sounds like a great idea if you've got the time just before shot. I regret not doing something while duck hunting to save my hearing. Hunting out of steel duck blinds can be brutal on your ears at times.

Mold to fit plugs are comfortable enough to forget they're in. I wear them for hours at a time mowing, tilling, trolling, etc.

When at targets, I wear them all the time and add muffs when shooting. Forgetting to put the muffs back on before resuming shooting isn't an issue. With handguns and short barreled or braked long guns you really need lugs and muffs.

I haven't utilized ear plugs until recently. Glassing next to my buddy shooting his lightweight mountain 300WM with a muzzle break he told me to plug my ears and after he shot I knew why. He wears them so I started carrying a simple set in my Bino Harness. Didn't put them in for my first Caribou this year - but remembered on the second while I was waiting for it to turn broadside.

Not a bad idea or a bad habit to get into. Definitely felt a difference between the two after the fact.

I like this style the best for big game, I usually have some in my bino harness and then put them various pockets.

I tried the neck band style ones but they never lasted more than a couple of trips in the woods before falling apart.

1637002985803.png

I like this style the best for big game, I usually have some in my bino harness and then put them various pockets.

I tried the neck band style ones but they never lasted more than a couple of trips in the woods before falling apart.

View attachment 201828
These are what I had and I need another set - lost half of mine the other day so I've got a pair that aren't as nice.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back