MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What do you wear for hearing protection while big game hunting?

Above, I posted a recommendation and link for Decibullz hearing protection.

I stand by that recommendation, but since then, I've discovered another, better, cheaper option.

Orvis is selling more or less the same thing without the mouldable part. That knocks off about 2/3rds ($50) of the price and I like them better. They cut the shotgun blast just as well (or so it seems). However, when in "normal" mode they seem to affect hearing less, so I have a better chance of hearing a bird flush or someone talking to me. They sit pretty deep in my ears, which makes them a bit difficult to get out. That also means they have relatively little wind noise however.

At about $25-30, these are really hard to beat and you just don't have an excuse for not using them. Oh, how I wish I had these 20-30 yrs ago.

Last edited:
Sure does. Mine’s bad enough to require hearing aids and it’s tough to carry on a conversation without them (I’m not exactly elderly at 40 either). They’re onerous to wear when recreating outside in warmer weather. Makes tromping around in griz country extra interesting.

I find muffs get in the way at the range and prefer those multi colored foamies as they condense down better than most and really get in the ear canal before expanding. That said, I’ll probably try to revisit muffs with a low profile version to use in conjunction with the foamies.

In the field I don’t use em though. Need to rectify this with some around the neck ones next season.

Check out the recommendation for earplugs that I just posted. For the price, there is no excuse not to use them in the field. They really do work well.

BTW, I don't mean to be overly critical, but if your earmuffs get in the way of your shooting at the range, I suspect that you are benchresting and your position is poor. Good benchrest technique is becoming a lost art, even while 99% of our shooting is off a bench these these days.

You may benefit from lowering your stool considerably while bringing the butt of the stock back to the rear, left corner of the bench (assuming shooting right handed). Just a suggestion.

BTW, I don't mean to be overly critical, but if your earmuffs get in the way of your shooting at the range, I suspect that you are benchresting and your position is poor.
I’m almost positive of this. No offense taken at all!

My hearing is significantly lower in my right ear. And I love big speakers and big iron amplifiers, and full orchestral at high volume (Wilson, Krell, etc.) but that should affect both ears. So, left with the 1000s of dove, duck 12 gauge, and a few .257 STW and many 300 WM fired at game.

Trust me, young ones, protect your ears. Hearing aids suck in the wind and clog with earwax.

Screenshot_20211226-230931_Chrome.jpgwear these around my neck and put them in before I shoot. Also wear in the duck blind, can still call fine and hear them honk or quack back. My ears ring too much to not wear something and my daughter has basically confiscated my suppressor to her gun lol

My hearing is significantly lower in my right ear. And I love big speakers and big iron amplifiers, and full orchestral at high volume (Wilson, Krell, etc.) but that should affect both ears. So, left with the 1000s of dove, duck 12 gauge, and a few .257 STW and many 300 WM fired at game.

Trust me, young ones, protect your ears. Hearing aids suck in the wind and clog with earwax.
This right here! I didn't notice my extensive damage until mid 40s. A trip to the audiologist was pretty eye opening let's just say. She actually said I bet you fired a lot of guns and your right handed. I said yup. 6k later I can hear fine.
I have used foam ear plugs and walkers game ears for several years now. I really like the walkers during spring gobbler.

Thanks all for all the links to different ear pro. I tried the Otis Tech Ear Shields because of their high NRR rating and low profile w/respect to any adverse affects on cheek weld, but I found them to be very uncomfortable. Maybe just my particular ear geometry. Looking forward to trying the Surefire or Orvis in-ear pro this fall.

After spending most of my life in a helicopter behind a gun, my ears ring all the time. No sense in making it worse so I try to always use something. When I can I use my suppressor, Peltors or foamies on a string. Anything is better than nothing, the ringing is maddening

I have never worn ear protection while big game hunting. One exception was dove hunting. I wore my electronic ear muffs when I did that. And will again if I ever go to a dove shoot.

I dont like the type with any kind of wire as it tends to get snagged on the butt of the rifle.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back