What DO you talk about/share about your spots?

I normally discuss what my hunt plan is so we can try and work different areas as to not interfere with each other. But, that's after i get done feeling like a kid who's candy just got stolen. i don't normally discuss what I know about the area since I have no clue what level of knowledge they have. I'm fine with others hunting the same areas since they have every right to but i want them to learn it themselves im not giving away what took me a long time to learn. I've actually had this come up the most duck hunting public land. I also have an elk spot that people over the last couple years have started hunting more and more.

Say nothing, if they’re truly not necks, they’ll understand. Maybe share bear sightings. Shared mule deer sightings with a couple once and found them outside my camp a couple weeks later during elk rifle season. Won’t make the same mistake twice.

We rarely see anybody where we hunt. We also park our trailer nearby and the country looks like crap. The few hunters we do see drive past out trailer usually go up to the mouth of the canyon and look around and come back out within 30 minutes or so. If they do happen to stop and talk we just tell them the country is too dry and we haven't seen anything and will be moving very soon. Of course that is a baldfaced lie.:whistle:
If they would actually do some walking they might see why we've been hunting there since the late 70's.

Let's add a twist...

So say you are hiking up a trail into a drainage and over take someone else hiking the same direction. You can walk faster than they are. Do you pass them and keep going?

Let's add a twist...

So say you are hiking up a trail into a drainage and over take someone else hiking the same direction. You can walk faster than they are. Do you pass them and keep going?
Communication is key to peace. Sure pass them if you must> but somehow I would expect the chance of less courteous actions from them when they get into the drainage

I tell them I'm lost. And I've never been there before.
Greenhorn, i cut out a wallet size pic of you and carry it in my pocket all season... the day i finally run into you, ill know im in the big bull mecca!

There are four types of people that I share four different styles of info with:

1. Dick head hunters: those who have ruined some of my hunts or have bad intensions. I either give no advice or wrong info to. One of them in particular keeps asking me for advice and disregards all of them and normally ruins both our hunts. I straight up lie to that guy, I'll see several good bucks and will say either something like "nah, I've seen nothing tonight" or "nothing but does". This guy will sit in one spot for 45 minutes, get bored and go for a walk the rest of the evening, I'll find out later that "he stayed far enough from me not to ruin my hunt" which is normally 100 yds up wind, literally;

2. Newbies: I give them valuable tips on the hunt, how/where to find access, etc. I bring a lot of them too, normally to a decent spot but never a honey whole, but good spots that hold good numbers and decent animals. I share max info on the hunt with them, some of which I don't share with other experienced hunters whom I don't know. New hunters get more in an attempt to make it easier for them and so they can enjoy the sport and stick to it;

3. Fellow experienced hunters: these guys get the same level of info as they share with me. Tactics, tips, etc. Locations are normally very broad and the more they push to get exact spots, the less I give (see number 1); and

4. Family and select close friends: these guys get everything I know/see. One of them hunts the same property as that guy in the first category. This guy gets full debriefs on my hunts and I get the same in return, we hunt/work together that property and often times have that dick head ruin our hunts. I take these people to my honey wholes and usually work towards them getting the same access as I do. Bottom line, none of them are as intense as I am and we rarely hunt together as I prefer solo hunts. The impact they have on my spots are minimal but I still hunt with them from time to time and enjoy doing so.

Let's add a twist...

I did that twice last fall to groups outfitted by a certain outfitter in a certain unit next to a certain national park. I have Tennessee Walking Horses and am a fairly decent rider. Most outfitted clients sit like a sack of potatoes on a horse. So it wasn't too tough to go faster than they were.

FYI. He drives a beat up foreign car with bald tires. Find that and you are in. Having his picture in your wallet might be considered weird. mtmuley
Whats weird is me in his sleeping bag when he comes back to his tent.... 8 miles from a trailhead.

I did that twice last fall to groups outfitted by a certain outfitter in a certain unit next to a certain national park. I have Tennessee Walking Horses and am a fairly decent rider. Most outfitted clients sit like a sack of potatoes on a horse. So it wasn't too tough to go faster than they were.
Im pretty sure that is illegal..

Im pretty sure that is illegal..
Tennessee Walkers as a mountain horse? We had awesome stock when I was a kid. All grade horses. They learned the ropes in the hills. A Walker? Yeah maybe. On flat ground. mtmuley

Whats weird is me in his sleeping bag when he comes back to his tent.... 8 miles from a trailhead.
Man. I don't think I'd do that even to find his hunting spot. Well... Maybe after a few Hopzones. mtmuley

Around here, that's only happened once for me. It went something like this:

me: Whoah, I never see anyone up here!
him: Whoah, I never see anyone up here!
us: Figured out folks we both know for a few minutes.
me: Good luck, see you around!
him: Good luck, see you around!

FYI. He drives a beat up foreign car with bald tires. Find that and you are in. Having his picture in your wallet might be considered weird. mtmuley
Just look for that car in the parking spots. When you find one with at least a twelve pack of empty hopzones in it you will know you are getting real hot.

Unless the person is a dick I will talk em up. Last year we crossed paths with an old timer who was muzzleloader elk hunting and we told him we had a deer and elk archery tag and he pointed us in the direction that he had seen some deer. We also had guys that were deer hunting and told us where they were hearing bugling bulls. We were able to finally get into some animals because of it. So I try not to be secretive or an a hole because I've had a lot of strangers help me out when they definitely didn't have to.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back