What DO you talk about/share about your spots?

I try to point out the obvious, that they would already have figured out. If it's obvious there are elk there, like fresh rubs, or elk bugling, then I'll say something like I saw a couple of little 5 points, and make it sound like I'm good with shooting one of them.

You guys are funny. I can relate to all your positions. I know I’ve softened with age though. It really depends on the vibs I get from them. I have a general regard for other hunters and fishermen that leaves me open to a friendly conversation and will share general information. If there are young hunters in the group I have shared the exact location of animals I passed up.
If my partner and I happen to be standing at a trailhead or something and a couple hunters pull up and we just know they are going to ask if we’ve seen anything we blurt the question out first. Kind of like asking those guys in Mexico selling time shares if they want to buy a time share before they have a chance to ask you...

It depends. For someone with an extremely hard to draw tag, I’ll share pretty freely if people ask, except info that was given to me in confidence. In the field, if I run into someone hunting something other than what I am, I might share where I saw a critter. For kids, I’ll share exact locations of animals I saw if it’s not one I’m planning on chasing.

Otherwise, I’m more likely to share tips of how to find places than actual places. Figuring it out yourself is part of the fun.

It depends. For someone with an extremely hard to draw tag, I’ll share pretty freely if people ask, except info that was given to me in confidence. In the field, if I run into someone hunting something other than what I am, I might share where I saw a critter. For kids, I’ll share exact locations of animals I saw if it’s not one I’m planning on chasing.

Otherwise, I’m more likely to share tips of how to find places than actual places. Figuring it out yourself is part of the fun.

When I drew my Tule Elk tag, I had two previous tag holders send me their marked up maps and go through Google earth with me on the phone. I've had friends recommend trailheads and camping spots. If I know someone is hunting an area I've been, I love talking about it . But that's usually if I'm not going back...

I'll admit I wasn't exactly forthcoming about the location of a little used trail when I ran into another hunter in a General elk unit on the mail trail. But if anyone draws a VV tag in New Mexico and I think they are a decent person, I'll tell them where I saw elk.

Agree on the hard to draw tags. I’ve offered info on a bull moose in my elk/deer unit in UT. That unit issues 3 OIL tags a year. I’d gladly help someone fill one of those tags. I was a little surprised that I got some negative PM’s about the offer. Haters will be haters I guess. You know who you are.

I'm pretty sure the only people I tell where I hunt are people that come to help pack something out. Since I never kill elk, only deer, and I can do those by myself, I don't tell anyone much, except my wife, so she knows where to send a search party

I once ran into a guy hunting in one of my favorite elk spots. Actually, I called him in with a cow call. He didn't ask for any information nor did I but he did tell me he thanked God I was there. He hadn't seen anybody else around and he told me the only time he ever sees elk is when someone else spooks them toward him, so the more people the better. I told him I would do my best.

The country I hunt in is so severe that it took me years to figure out how to get in and out of it. Kind of figure those are trade secrets to be earned by blood, sweat and tears. I try to be polite but I rarely see anyone or even any human tracks.

In many of my more open areas I try to keep enough fresh horse tracks so that My presence is not a surprise. Greetings at gun-point is not any fun and should be avoided. Most of my adverse experiences were in the 80s near the Idaho border. My goal is to be where no one else wants to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back