What did you learn from 2010 seasons

mconway951

So with just a few days left of my bow season i am sitting here checking the site before I head out to stand again and just reflecting on the season.
So what did you guys learn form 2010 season?
I have learned that sometimes your old faithful spots arent always faithful so i am scrambling to find the deer in this late season.

I'm still learning... how to get from point A to point B within a reasonable time - and somehow, reduce the amount of elk I spook... Heck, I push more elk out of areas than I find at my destination! I am at step 3 of 100 in mastering this hunt edumacation...

Best of success in your hunt Mconway!

I learned to trust my instincts. I hunted new areas (not just spots, but different counties) this year and every single spot that I said to myself, "this looks like a good spot to hunt" turned out to be such. The first time I found a spot after walking down a steep hill for several hundred feet and thought, this looks good, only to get up after 30 minutes thinking I was wasting my time. As soon as I took a couple of steps I spooked a deer that was heading right for the area I thought would present a good shot with a bow. After that I decided that if I thought it was a good spot I was going to stay put. I saw several deer each time I hunted this year.

As far as equipment is concerned, I am considering going back to a multi pin site on my bow. I have a single pin slider at the moment. It's awesome when I am target shooting and don't have to worry about adjusting the distances on the slide. You get an animal that is moving your way and you are trying to range and adjust the site without spooking the animal and your heart rate starts going up it's just a little to stressful. I think simply ranging the animal and picking the correct pin would be much easier on the nerves. :) Ranging different land marks around you does make it a bit easier with a slider but you still have to make unwanted movements to adjust the pin.

There are three things I won't go into the field without during whitetail rut. 1. "The Big Can" 2. "The Buck Roar" 3. A weapon:p

I've finally learned there's not much you can do about scent except hunt into the wind. Some of those sprays and such might work, but to be completely effecticve you'd have to put it on your lunch, all through your rifle, all over your body, gargle with it, on the seat of your vehicle, your steering wheel, everything. Not possible to be scent free in my opinion.

Things I learned:

1. Make sure when shooting from a blind that your arrow clears the bottom of the blind window.
2. Keep chains in the truck at all times.
3. Always trust your gut after the shot.
4. Don't pick a fight with the wife the night before leaving to go hunting.
5. Snakes are sure to find the way inside your blind
6. I learned not to get discouraged and put some miles on the boots.
7. Make sure you leave your 4-wheeler parked somewhere out of the wind when snowing.

I learned that I can't find a turkey in Colorado unless a) I'm somewhere I can't hunt or b) I'm driving and they are hanging out 20 yards on private property. I learned that elk should just come to my calling instead of hanging up just out of sight! so I guess that means I learned I wasn't good enough this year! Dang it!! Thanks for bringing me down!

I learned that just because you keep looking back and don't see anything doesn't mean the bear isn't following you. :D

I learned that I don't think I'd handle being the father of a 14 year old kid

I learned that it's more expensive to cross the rock field and drop your fancy rifle than it is to walk the 30 yards and cross below it

I learned I need to work out a lot more

I learned that 4 deer and a cow elk fill the freezer pretty darned well.

I learned that if you shoot over the back of a bull, learn from your mistake and aim lower :rolleyes:

I learned that Hunt Talkers shot some very nice animals this year.

Advice and tips should be saved in a spreadsheet and taken with you for reviewing in camp

You can't shoot something if you can't go hunting (deployment), but you can prepare to buy double tags for next year :D (The seasons seems to last longer when you can't hunt)

Some things I learned... and some just re-learned...

Always expect the un-expected...
Patience is key..
Plant food, and they will come...
Never trust the weather...
Never trust a fart...
Always carry ass-wipe...
Expandable broad heads still suck...
Hunting seasons get shorter as you get older...

You'd better send flowers to the wife when you leave for a elk hunting trip on your wedding anniversary day! OUCH!!! I don't know if I'll live this one down for awhile!

It is great to have to few friends. Especially when you shoot something farther from the road than planned.

You'd better send flowers to the wife when you leave for a elk hunting trip on your wedding anniversary day! OUCH!!! I don't know if I'll live this one down for awhile!

You made that near fatal error as well??? Heck, I "politely" fought tooth and nail to get our wedding moved to an earlier or later date those many years ago... A VERY fine line to argue... Hell, I was a Jonnie Cochran - I just don't have his talent.

Well my two eggs got scrambled. Thankfully, I saved a tiny bit of manhood - got the wedding date set between MT archery / rifle season. The best I could do without revealing too openly the competition between marriage and hunting. Haha!

You guys are amatuers. Get married in February - no hunting to intefere with, and if you can't remember that your anniversary is near Valentine's Day, you are beyond help. Same with birthdays and stuff.

I can't imagine getting married in September-November. That's just asking for trouble.

Further advice - Marry a woman who has a birthday in March and you won't have things like hunting season to conflict with these kind of deals. ;)

It's really not that hard. If you lost those easy arguments, it is going to be a long 50 years, 'cause there are a many more and much more difficult arguments to come.

For all you unmarried folks, that is the OYOA Tip of the Week. No charge.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HappyClar
Back