MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What Brings A Smile About Your State?

the bumper stickers for my truck that express my love for cowboys dont have the same effect up here :ROFLMAO:

But, as per the post made by BearFoot, it is not all bad up here ;) But I do miss Texas
The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

3 elk tags, 2 buck deer, 2 pronghorn buck tags, lion, bear, wolf every year along with all the doe deer/pronghorn I care to have. General elk and deer tags OTC on the very worst of years. On the very best years add a moose, goat, sheep or bison.

IMG_3653.JPG

DSC00769.JPG

Fishing is under-rated and largely under utilized.

Close to neighboring states where I can hunt/fish more country within 12-16 hours of driving than I could possibly enjoy in 4 lifetimes. A major airport 2 hours away if I venture further.

Spending so many years driving the Northwest for work I still claim everything from the Cle Elum to Glasgow, Omak to Burns as home.
Just Idaho, easy peesy.

Right behind the house...
IMG_2346.JPG
Technically, when you stand on The Palouse and take a sunset pic, you are photographing Washington.
P7124190.JPG

Challis in January, looking toward Mt Borah.
P1143965.JPG
The canyons
P5304096.JPG
High Mountain Lakes
P9174294.JPG
Rivers
IMG_2152.JPG
Edge Habitat (taken right after the sunset picture, just turned the POV 180°. Sometimes you feel like you walked into Tolkien's Shire.
P7124178.JPG
@Sytes said no politics, but I do not take for granted that I can walk into a store, buy a big revolver and a box of cartridges. Same Day Service.
IMG_2256.JPG

As many problems as my state has and the fact that it's the butt of everyone's joke (rightfully so), there is a lot of potential for recreation here. Especially if you're centrally located like myself. A guy I know made a video of him and his sister where they wakeboarded at a lake, snowboarded at a ski resort and surfed at the beach all in the same day.

Black Hills whitetails, prairie mule deer and antelope, prairie coterie duck hunts, Missouri River walleye, glacial lakes perch ice fishing

Both the United States and Canada are richly blessed with many beautiful regions with much to offer a sportsman. Back in the day, when I was a young man, my wife and I made a monumental decision. We relocated to Montana. Aside from marrying my wife, it is the biggest, best decision in my life. Hardly a day goes by that something about this state brings a smile to my face. Often it is seeing mountains in the distance, early or late in the day, when the light shows them at their best.

A shot of your's truly when no mountain was too steep or hike too far. Those days are gone, but the memories are not.
E9D8D452-6192-4F4D-85BD-3FF7A6EDE144_1_201_a.jpeg

Both the United States and Canada are richly blessed with many beautiful regions with much to offer a sportsman. Back in the day, when I was a young man, my wife and I made a monumental decision. We relocated to Montana. Aside from marrying my wife, it is the biggest, best decision in my life. Hardly a day goes by that something about this state brings a smile to my face. Often it is seeing mountains in the distance, early or late in the day, when the light shows them at their best.

A shot of your's truly when no mountain was too steep or hike too far. Those days are gone, but the memories are not.
View attachment 200729
Look at all that padding on those straps! Luxury!

Cheap health care. Actually, it's free.panoramio-1524616.jpgNo, it's not scaffolding. Some dopey architect's idea of fitting in with the natural environment. Like there's a lot of bug kill pine in town? Pfft.

Staying busy twelve months out of the year. Within a two hour drive from my house I have access to world class (to me anyway) snowboarding, fly fishing, and big game hunting. Drive a little bit more and I can find some pretty good waterfowl and turkey hunting. I can snowboard about six months out of the year if I want, fly fish year-round and hunt for four months or more depending on what tags I get.

Not too bad around here, even compared to the ever-popular northwest portion of the state.

20150601-20150601-IQ0A0165.jpg

medbow_1.jpeg

20190811-IQ0A0002.jpg

Okay, seriously, I like living in a place where there's more water than land and it's all publicly accessible. Not much fly fishing but the solitude is great. I could easily fish a different lake every weekend (including winter months) for the next twenty years all within a two hundred mile radius. Moose hunting has sadly been exploited nearly to death but I live alone now and that's way too much meat for me anyway. Goose hunting is fantastic for a few weeks every fall and grouse can usually be found without too much difficulty. This year they were everywhere. The big down side for me is MTO smothers the roads with salt during winter. I simply refuse to waste a vehicle in that crap so I'm usually pretty much housebound December to end of March. Very much limits my ice fishing ... but that's certainly not a deal breaker!Fred's Pond.JPG

That I can access thousands of acres of public right outside my front door in my little town, still have access to a decent airport in a town only a short drive away, and have a larger town for health concerns and everything else only an hour or so away…plus all three have damn good beer!🍺🍺

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back