Caribou Gear Tarp

What Brings A Smile About Your State?

“Fifteen hundred red-blooded Americans just decided to apply to Florida State.“ - Brett Musburger
That wretched swine of a woman tried to out Bret Favre for sending D*** pics.

Which is leads to what makes MN so great. The character building experiences of watching your favorite sports teams choke.

Well we Alaskans just got our annual dividend check. 1100 bucks per person.
When I leave AK I realize pretty quickly that the lack of people, rules n taxes is why I enjoy coming back home. I enjoy the
seasons and embrace winter.
The mountains around me. Ocean near. Millions of public lands that I enjoy.

Attachments

• 20210313_073908.jpg
    20210313_073908.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210317_114422.jpg
    20210317_114422.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 6
  • F8DEDF6E-2C29-49E6-82AE-D16A0C92F4CF.jpeg
    F8DEDF6E-2C29-49E6-82AE-D16A0C92F4CF.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 6
Live in NV I have to say my favorite part is every time I get away from a 4x4 trail I don’t see another soul. Whether fishing, hiking, or hunting. This year I spent at least 60 days in various places. Only saw three groups of people and all were out of shouting distance. I’ll take that + sneaky great fly fishing for big fat trout.

Interior Alaska:
1) No traffic lights for 350 miles all the way to Valdez, no traffic lights all the way to Circle on the Yukon, no traffic lights all the way to Prudoe Bay.
2) Free hunting/fishing/trapping license for residents at age 60.
3) Waiver of first $150,000 property taxed at age 65
4) Perfect summers...warm, dry, 24 hours of light
5) August sheep/caribou/ptarmigan hunts
6) Sept moose/duck hunts
7) November sitka blacktail hunts
8) Sugar snow that is easy to plow. Winters are low humidity with no wind.
9) No road salt so vehicles do not rust out. Great cross country skiing/snowmobiling/mushing.
10) Spectacular northern lights
11) Free over-the-counter tags for moose, sheep, deer, goats, bears, etc.
12) International airport a few minutes away
13) Plentiful birch for home heating wood stoves
14) Big halibut/salmon
15) Affordable houses on 3-10 acre parcels
16) No state income tax, No state sales tax
17) No poison ivy, lymes disease, gators, chiggers, fire ants, heartworm, devils club, snakes, briars, etc.
18) No state gun laws or taxes
19) Friendly neighbors who care about each other.
20) We have a nice view from our backyard:
mtns.jpg

Interior Alaska:
1) No traffic lights for 350 miles all the way to Valdez, no traffic lights all the way to Circle on the Yukon, no traffic lights all the way to Prudoe Bay.
6) Sept moose/duck hunts
9) No road salt so vehicles do not rust out. Great cross country skiing/snowmobiling/mushing.
14) Big halibut/salmon
17) No poison ivy, lymes disease, gators, chiggers, fire ants, heartworm, devils club, snakes, briars, etc.
View attachment 199890
Amen to that!

Interior Alaska:
6) Sept moose/duck hunts
14) Big halibut/salmon
View attachment 199890
Sold

I live in a much-maligned state, largely because one small part of it gets all the attention. And there are frustrating aspects; lots of beurocracy, lots of people in some areas... What I love about my corner of NY could fill a small book, but we have alot of variety here for a lover of the outdoors; mountains, lakes, rivers, streams, huge unbroken areas of forest. Farmland and cities too. While we don't have elk, or pronghorn, there's a lot of critters you can hunt from big game right on down through all the birds and small game species. There is an incredibly diverse fishery here, from brook trout in tiny mountain streams, through bass, pike and salmon on Lake Champlain, which is quite a big body of water. You could spend a morning up in alpine tundra and then come down in the afternoon to buy awesome vegetables, from a local farmer and eat them with the venison you shot somewhere in between. And, theres Fall... It's a pretty great place.
IMG_4872.jpg118.jpg303.jpgIMG_0843(1).jpgIMG_1354.jpgIMG_1961.JPGIMG_3446.JPGIMG_3480.JPGIMG_3594.JPGIMG_3667.jpgIMG_4012.jpgIMG_4486.jpgIMG_7113.jpgP1000075.JPGP1020331.jpg

When I yearn for my native Hoosierland to Indiana specific things call to my SOUL .....

1) REAL breaded, pork tenderloin sandwiches. They MUST be huge and the ONLY acceptable toppings are mustard, mayo, dill pickles, onions and MAYBE tomatoes (if in season). Here is a representative pic.....I would personally have paired it with fried mushrooms instead of fries.

2) Second, is Claus' German Meat Market ( for those in the know it was originally Klem's until they retired and sold to their nephew after he got his Master's in sausage making in Germany). They have no less than 5 kinds of bacon available, usually 10-15 types of wursts, full service for all consumer meats AND they will butcher wild game with the option of smoking in the in house smoker.

3) Finally, and even more importantly, is going to my spiritual home. This bakery is only a few miles from where I was born and lived the first chunk of my childhood. It opened the year I was born and I have literally been going since I was born. My birthday cakes were baked by JJ until my parents divorce and my forced relocation. It is exactly the same. All the baked goods are impeccable, the lunch counter and meals are wonderful and the shop is comforting to me. I have memories with my mom as far back as I can remember and have made them with my kids and in-laws as well. If you go to Indianapolis you HAVE to go see JJ and his family. There is nothing there you will not love.

Oh, and REALLY good WT hunting.... ;)
Hey I have just the place for the pork tenderloin! So when you are here we will have to go and make ourselves miserable trying to eat one...or pace ourselves while enjoying cold beer!

I live in a much-maligned state, largely because one small part of it gets all the attention. And there are frustrating aspects; lots of beurocracy, lots of people in some areas... What I love about my corner of NY could fill a small book, but we have alot of variety here for a lover of the outdoors; mountains, lakes, rivers, streams, huge unbroken areas of forest. Farmland and cities too. While we don't have elk, or pronghorn, there's a lot of critters you can hunt from big game right on down through all the birds and small game species. There is an incredibly diverse fishery here, from brook trout in tiny mountain streams, through bass, pike and salmon on Lake Champlain, which is quite a big body of water. You could spend a morning up in alpine tundra and then come down in the afternoon to buy awesome vegetables, from a local farmer and eat them with the venison you shot somewhere in between. And, theres Fall... It's a pretty great place.
View attachment 199898View attachment 199899View attachment 199900View attachment 199901View attachment 199902View attachment 199903View attachment 199904View attachment 199905View attachment 199906View attachment 199907View attachment 199908View attachment 199909View attachment 199911View attachment 199912View attachment 199913
Nicely done!

Hey I have just the place for the pork tenderloin! So when you are here we will have to go and make ourselves miserable trying to eat one...or pace ourselves while enjoying cold beer!
In Montana, they call a deep - pork sandwich a Wopchop and
you can buy the patties prepared to go by the half dozen, along
with deep-fried pickles. 💥

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back