PEAX Equipment

what brand thermal underwear do you use?

UA cold gear

Smartwool Merino

in warmer fall weather C9 base layer wicking

I think I have two drawers of thermal gear. All these companies try to fool you into believing that their material is something special... Look at what its made of and compare to others, its all the same, and you just spent 4-5x as much to buy the name.

I just bought a couple tops the other day, I think the brand is 32 Degrees (?), shirt cost me $9... best investment of the season so far. Wore it 7 days straight on my sheep hunt, didn't stink at all, and kept me warm and toasty all day/night long.

I agree with Bambistew, I like whatever is reasonably good quality and on sale. I have Cabelas, UA, Patagonia, Polarmax, generic... It gets used based on how it smells and what weight I want/need.

A lot of clothing hype out there for sure. I have a pair that our Costco has been selling the last two years and love them. The brand is Paradox and I think the top and bottoms were around $25.

Quality base layers can be had for anywhere from $20 or less, up to $100+ a piece.
Staying warm and comfy is more a matter of layering, and wearing or removing layers at the right time.

Cabela's basic poly-pro mid weight works as good as anything, unless you really need the latest super cool camo pattern.

UA and a lot of other, miss-mitched thermals I've bought over the years. I really like my silk and merino wools ones the best though. Also depends on the temperature, if I'll be stand hunting or still hunting, etc...

core4element moreno wool, boxers and 1/4 zip top, also have some dufold polyprop bottoms, all good stuff, been worn many times, comfy and handles many wearings and washings

Poly props work best and feel best. I have cold gear and mid weight UA tops I like, and a bottom too. Bottoms still have the tags on 'em. I will say I am not a huge fan of the new materials.

I have tried the UA, poly-pro, Paradox, and various merino wools. There is a HUGE difference in wicking attributes between those mentioned and the best by a wide margin for overall performance is the Smartwool. They wick so you stay dry and they keep you warm. UA wicks, but you can get cold in them if you are sweating very much. Plus, any synthetic will soon stink from body odor where wool will not.

UA and a lot of other, miss-mitched thermals I've bought over the years. I really like my silk and merino wools ones the best though. Also depends on the temperature, if I'll be stand hunting or still hunting, etc...

Silk? I thought silk was reserved for the women.;)

I upgraded to Merino wool this summer hoping that helps with the 'funk' smell my UAs would get in a short amount of time.

I have to admit that I fell for the UA hype several years ago. I usually only wear the bottoms while I am hiking in and carry the top in my pack. I'll put it on once I am in. I get way too hot otherwise during the hike. They definitely keep you warm, but if there is similar products at a lesser cost I would go with them.

Back