Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What brand of gun solvent and oil?

Scott85

What brand of solvent and oil is everybody using? I’ve been hoppes for years and want to see if I should stick with it.

a few guns I use mix of shooter choice and kroils
a few guns i use spray foam brand >wipe out

Hoppe's #9 is the most common I use.

Remoil wipes for field cleaning

Barnes CR 10 ammonia based cleaner for heavy copper fouling

PB Blaster for everything else.

Break free CLP. Its the only way.
This. But Break free LP is even better as an oil. Squeeze bottle only, not the spray as that has been diluted to make it sprayable.

For copper solvent Butch’s Bore Shine is great. May take a couple days of scrubbing and soaking but it will get the copper (and powder fouling) out and not damage the barrel. Plus I don’t mind having a few extra days in the winter alone with my guns.

Hoppes #9 for nostalgia and quick bore cleans

Remoil to wipe down surfaces as rust preventative (not the best, but I wipe down my guns whenever I fondle them and it’s cheap)

Boretech Eliminator for deep cleaning the bore

What brand of solvent and oil is everybody using? I’ve been hoppes for years and want to see if I should stick with it.
If you have been a Hoppes guy for years, what happened to make you think about changing?

My standard is Hoppe's Black but go for Butch's Bore Shine when scrubbing out heavy copper fouling. Very strong endorsement for Birchwood Casey Barricade for rust protection-- was the only product I could find that seemed like it stood up to the Deep South's tropical humidity.

Hoppes #9 for general bore cleaning, I like Kroil for wipe down. Kroil doesn't get gummy in low temperatures and offers pretty good protection even in rain.

I really like Wipe Out also, but haven’t tried many.

Ya Seay…

Yoz Gotztago TA yer locil gain chop, walk down day der isle wif da lewbs inf stof….

As yer rawnin tru der, poken yer grubber awt und snaich wot ya kin uf da shef..

I personally use Breakfree CLP ( thank the army for that habit) and use sweet’s 7,62 for copper fouling removal and an electric bore cleaner.

About a few years ago the half gallon of Hoppes I bought in 1987 finally ran out.
I bought some CLP. Seems to work great. It will probably last me ten years.
I do have some rem oil wipes I keep in my truck box and stuffed around in other bags
just in case I need or want something handy. They take up no room And I find them handy.
I been using Butch’s Bore Shine for a long time as my solvent. Mostly as I bought a big bottle in 2005. Recently I had some fouling in my 270. I bought some Montana Extreme. Whatever that issue was Montana Extreme cleared it up.

For twenty years I hunted with blued wood stocked rifles In damp and sweaty weather. Rem oil and Hoppes kept the metal parts working good and rust free. So I have no complaints with either.

Back