Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What are your 2020 plans?

I didn’t draw any tags so will be OTC whitetail, moose and possibly elk. Plan to get a 2nd bear tag for fall. And of course chase geese and ruffed grouse. Would love to take a trip down south for pheasants this December. Can’t forget about a busy winter of coyote trapping too

It looks like my 2020 fall will include:
SD Muzzleloader & BH any deer
SD Archery deer
Tribal deer, elk, & bull bison
CO archery elk

And lots of SD pheasants, ducks, and geese

September- me and my son have Wisconsin bear tags, archery deer season opens as well
October- me and my son have Wyoming antelope tags
November- me and my buddy have south dakota rifle whitetail tags, Wisconsin rifle deer season
December- muzzleloader deer here in Wisconsin and if things work out Nebraska muzzleloader

Well, the draws wreaked havoc on my plans, but I wound up with:

-Indiana deer
-Kansas deer
-Wyoming deer
-Montana deer and cow elk

applying
Wyoming mule pp
(Wife) Wyoming antelope pp

Hunting
whitetail in Illinois
antelope in Wyoming

trips
Camping -one week upper peninsula Family trip to traverse city

All General Rifle hunts:
  • Oct 3-15 UT Cow Elk and hopefully Bull Elk if I draw a general tag in July
  • Oct 17-22 UT Buck Deer
  • Oct 24-31 MT General Elk, Deer and Deer B opener - focus on elk
  • Nov 21-29 MT General Elk, Dee and Deer B final week - focus on rutting deer
  • Dec 1 - Jan 1 Continue chasing cow elk in UT if I haven’t filled the freezer yet

Aug
WY early cow elk

Sep
CO muzzleloader doe pronghorn
CO muzzleloader mule deer buck

Oct
WY GEN elk

Nov
CO 3rd rifle elk OTC
CO 4th rifle elk

Dec
WY late cow elk
CO late doe pronghorn
CO late doe mule deer

...should be a full freezer by the New Year!

Hunting:
I drew a tag for first rifle Unit 18 in NM for any forked antlered deer. It's a tough unit with lots of land to cover. It will be rewarding either way.

What else will you be hunting?
I'm going for Dove, Crane, Rabbit, and Turkey this year. I plan on hunting as much a possible, haha don't we all?

Other outdoor trips?
planning on buying a trailer and making our way to Yellowstone for the first time ever. Fishing for Bass, crappie, walleye, or cats otherwise.

In 2020, I’m going to have to turn my late Kaibab rifle tag back in and use point guard so I can give my desert bighorn tag the time it deserves. THIS DIDNT HAPPEN

that’s the dream.
Reality is probably go to Alaska and help on a dall sheep hunt ALSO NOT HAPPENING and then spend the rest of my vacation hiking through dog shit weather that resembles the inside of a mayonnaise jar at 10k feet in the Beartooth pretending that a ram might be within 10 miles of me. DEFINITELY HAPPENING

Helping on two bighorn hunts of friends. Maybe help on a desert hunt.
coues muzzleloader Hunt.
Maybe keep my Montana general combo and hunt deer and elk. Time is getting thin. I need to decide if I’m keeping those soon.

It's real pathetic for me this year. I went with eastern WA rifle elk gambling on drawing a special but didn't, so that tag is effectively worthless. No ID tags, no WY tags, so that leaves me with WA rifle deer, one of the lamest tags out their (hope to pick up a leftover multi-season next month). Thank goodness we have chukar. And I might try for bear #2 when the huckleberries get ripe.

So Mexico trip canceled twice sweet
Alberta deer hunt canceled not cool
Going crabbing 7-18 7-26 Oregon
Nv archery mule deer 8-8 8-16
My buddy’s 111-115 black powder bull
2020 not so bad?

Need to get some meat in the freezer this year, 3 elk tags and 5 deer tags in our house. Plenty of opportunity, just need to get it on the calendar and make sure we get out there. Here is the general plan:
Idaho:
Elk tags for wife and I. Focusing on Sept archery season. First time archery hunting for my wife. Going to be long weekends, and then the last full week of Sept.
One friend is coming from ND for the week in end of Sept.

General deer tags for wife and I - focus on whitetails locally late Oct and into Nov
Extra antlerless doe tags for wife and I that we can hunt locally within 1 mile of ag land.

Assisting on moose hunts in early Oct and early Nov.

Need to get our springer spaniel out bird hunting. Mountain grouse and drive to some pheasants.

MT:
Brother and I have big game combo tags. Mid to late Nov will be primary hunting time since my brother is in ag industry and needs to be done with harvest. COVID still a bit of a wildcard. Planning on an area that has cow elk opportunity and will be trying to hunt the edges of public/BMA and private land. Going to be a tough hunt, but should be fun.

WY General!
WY Type 7 (tried to get a type 6 in a general unit but got my second choice)
WA Archery Elk
WA Archery Deer
WA Bear
WA Cougar

Buying points for WY deer and MT biggame combo.

Usually get a little grouse and chuckar hunting in as well in WA, and right now it's salmon season so trying to refill the freezer with fish for the year. Had to let a 10lb. native king go this morning.

Plan to hunt WY General end of Sept for Archery solo, mid-Oct rifle with 2 friends, and late Nov/early Dec for the Type 7 cow tag.

My devotion to my WA tags will have to be minimal as I already have several weeks planned for Wyoming where my wife will have to be responsible for everything for me, fortunately I have an awesome wife who encouraged me to go for a second elk tag since she likes eating elk meat so much. Luckily WA archery seasons are decently long, get most of Sept for deer and a late season in Nov/Dec.

September: AZ muzzy elk
October: MT general elk and help a friend with a ND moose tag.
November: NV rifle elk and MT deer
- Lucked out BIG TIME in the draws this year!

Will fill in some weekends with bowhunting deer, bird hunting and fishing.

Velvet whitetails in Nebraska the week of the archery opener on 9/1.
Wyoming antelope early October.
Nebraska pheasant/quail.
Nebraska rifle deer.
Northern Arizona late rifle elk, I cannot wait.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back