What are your 2020 plans?

Daughter who has not hunted in 15 years told me today that she wants to hunt this year. Asked her what she putting in for and she said whatever I put down. I told her that if I put her in I would have to pay for it. Her reply, "exactly."

I will put her and myself in for deer locally and oryx in Rhodes canyon. I will also put in for elk.
My daughters are 2 years and 1 month. I look forward to those days afield with them. Hope y’all have a great 2020 season.

What will you be putting in for?
All sheep
Combo license for Montana (Elk and Mule deer)

What else will you be hunting?
Whitetails and hogs in Georgia

Other outdoor trips?
Ski trip (Whistler, Whitefish, and Deer Valley are on the radar)
Costa Rica in July for Mom's 70th
Lots of offshore fishing for grouper, snapper, and blackfin tuna as I live in Southwest Florida

I had to really pull back this year as I was battling stage 4 cancer - I am really going to get after it in 2020 :)! If it were not for those three surgeries, 7 weeks of radiation, and 7 weeks of chemo I think I could have really got after it. I have 10 more days of deer hunting here (with my daughter) and a bird hunting trip to Kansas still.

In all seriousness I wish you all good health in 2020 and don't wait until tomorrow.

Attachments

• Russ Lope WY 19.jpg
    Russ Lope WY 19.jpg
    887.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Russ 2019 Big 8.jpg
    Russ 2019 Big 8.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • Russ 2019 Mule Deer Buck Rotated.jpg
    Russ 2019 Mule Deer Buck Rotated.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Russ BHO Tag 2019 NM.jpg
    Russ BHO Tag 2019 NM.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Claire Turkey 2019.jpg
    Claire Turkey 2019.jpg
    818.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Russ Pheasants 2019.jpg
    Russ Pheasants 2019.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Russ Turkey 2019.jpg
    Russ Turkey 2019.jpg
    954.6 KB · Views: 8
2020 season

Black bear- ID
Antelope- WY
Mule deer- WY & ID
Whitetail- ID & NE
Elk- ID
Wolf- ID
Cougar- ID...anyone recommend a bar I should go hunt at? Jk lol

HOPE to draw Mountain Goat in Idaho. Doubtful but hoping lol

This year I’ll be applying for
AZ elk and deer
WY pref points for elk and deer
MT I’ll be applying for elk, deer, antelope a and b, and moose, goat, and sheep

Realistically my wife and I should draw antelope. We have 3 points, and we are putting in with my 86 year old grandpa who has 5 points. Really looking forward to spending time with him in the field. Other than that we get to go fill our general elk and deer tags in Montana. Can’t wait for all the fun in 2020, good luck folks!

2020 season

Black bear- ID
Antelope- WY
Mule deer- WY & ID
Whitetail- ID & NE
Elk- ID
Wolf- ID
Cougar- ID...anyone recommend a bar I should go hunt at? Jk lol

HOPE to draw Mountain Goat in Idaho. Doubtful but hoping lol
Bar 46 White Sulphur Springs - MT great food and people - when it’s allowed of course.

Things have sure changed but nothing cancelled yet
May - Canadian Fishing Trip
August - NWT sheep
November - Montana Elk Deer

What will you be putting in for?
Nebraska elk
Nebraska mule deer
Nebraska Antelope
WY elk PP
WY deer very limited entry
WY antelope
MT general elk tag
MT bison
CO elk PP
CO 2nd season mule deer
NM elk
NM deer
NM Oryx
NM Barbary sheep
Utah elk
Utah deer
Utah goat
Utah bison
Utah bighorn
Utah desert bighorn
Utah moose

What else will you be hunting?
Nebraska Whitetail
Nebraska Waterfowl
Arkansas Waterfowl

Other outdoor trips?
Bridger Bowl ski trip - cancelled

Part of my plan was the airfare that I bought back in early February to St. Paul Island Alaska. The Anchorage to St. Paul Is. portion is operated by Rain Air and they just went bankrupt.
So maybe I'll have to change my flight to Kodiak.
It's all up in the air right now......or more appropriately, grounded.

Sent in for 2 firearm and 1 muzzle loader deer tags here at home. Add in the 2 archery tags I'll buy and hopefully I'll fill the freezer again with some whitetail meat! Out of state? Still hoping to make it back up to Alaska this August. If I do I want to try and do some grouse hunting just to be able to hunt SOMETHING up there!

Going to add me a new rifle for the 2020 hunt: 7mm Win Mag with Leopold CDS scope and bipod. Want to take more than 200 yard shots when I can't get closer than that. Those bullets can reach out and touch someone quite accurately.

Put in for: Colorado archery deer... I think 🤞
Colorado elk PP... I think
Other hunts: Illinois whitetail, squirrel, fall turkey and I’d really like to get a rabbit. Hoping to check out some new state parks and do lots of squirrel hiking.
Other outdoor trip: As many ski trips as possible and hopefully a 100mi hike somewhere but there’s only so much time for activities.

Arizona- Drew a 6b Archery Bull Tag Sept. 11-24, my second choice
Indiana- I'll hunt archery whitetails on my farm like I have for the past 33 years.
Wyoming- Withdrew my elk application because I already drew in AZ. I'll buy points for 2020
Utah- Applied for general vernal muzzy deer tag and muzzy elk on diamond mt.
Colorado- Point only again this year
New Mexico- didn't apply this year because of AZ tag
Idaho- Will not apply this year because of AZ tag
California- Was fortunate to harvest 2 turkeys the first week of the season already, working on a third. Will apply for a late season X zone muzzy deer tag probably end up with a d3-5 tag deer and a bear tag, will again apply for elk, 'lopes and sheep and will have 13 points. I might be close to drawing a CA 'lope tag, one can only dream.
Oregon- will apply for points only
Montana- will apply for points only
Nevada- Will apply for points only
Boy, do I wish I had more vacation days!

Last edited:
The virus really threw a monkey wrench in my plans. I kept my job for the feds, but was reassigned to project manager instead of field inspector, which greatly restricts my travel freedom. But I am happy to have a job and also got a nice raise. So I'm not complaining. However, sitting on 20+ points in multiple states I can't afford to draw multiple tags this year. So every application I have to weigh the options and am going for more longshots or points only.

The virus really threw a monkey wrench in my plans. I kept my job for the feds, but was reassigned to project manager instead of field inspector, which greatly restricts my travel freedom. But I am happy to have a job and also got a nice raise. So I'm not complaining. However, sitting on 20+ points in multiple states I can't afford to draw multiple tags this year. So every application I have to weigh the options and am going for more longshots or points only.
A pay raise, and too many points? You’ve got a hard life. :cool:

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back