What are you guys paying for gas?

The wildest swing I’ve seen was last weekend.
$2.79 in a bullhead City AZ.
20 minutes away in Needles, California it was $5.89

I have 2 very close acquaintances that are in the political world. One was our county supervisor and now state Senator. I hope his views don't morph into the herd. The other is pretty much the frontrunner for Sheriff. Our present Sheriff is known as the Evil Queen. It seems that politicians do what they want no matter what they say. It's pretty hard sometimes to know that a good guy is a bad guy until way after the election.

One of the larger reasons for the higher price of gasoline in California is that much of the gasoline sold there is reformulated gasoline. This is due to the air quality issues that are problematic in California.

Reformulated gasoline has mandates reducing the volatile portion of gasoline. If you have ever seen the light distortion around the gas nozzle when you fill a gas tank, that is light components of the gasoline weathering off. That unburned gasoline evaporated into the air is a cause of smog. Reformulated gasoline is designed to significantly reduce that.

Well, by FAR the cheapest molecule a refinery can use in gasoline is normal butane. Normal butane boils right at 32 degrees Fahrenheit. So, it cannot be used in reformulated gasoline.

I spent 28 years working in a refinery lab more than a little of it testing gasoline. The high prices are not a bribe scheme between politicians and oil companies. I mean who hates oil companies more than a California politician? How in god's name would they get together with oil companies to screw California drivers.

One question,,,, why the hell do gas prices spike when something catastrophic happens in some other part of the country? A refinery shuts down in New York and within minutes gas prices shoot up in CA. A war in Russia and the gas prices shoot up,,,,, on and on and on.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back