Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What are you currently reading?

It was love/hate for me. I couldn't put it down towards the end.
I did find a historical error in the book. He marks someone using a ".30-30 saddle rifle" in July of 1890. Winchester did not release it until 1895. Not a mistake Louis L'Amour would have made, but forgivable.

The joys of being an OCD gun nut.

I read All the Pretty Horses and The Road... I decided I don't need that kinda negativity in my life ;)

Faulkner... but people have a hard time with Dune? I'ma just gonna say it... if he was a HT'r I'd just look at the pictures and keep on scrolling.
Ditto on McCarthy; didn't read The Road as the premise was too dark, but read some early stuff and No Country for Old Men. Ruthless. Violent.

Received this as a birthday gift. Been looking forward to reading it for some time. The perfect thing to bridge the gap to turkey season.

Attachments

• 20210228_220013.jpg
    20210228_220013.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
I just finished "For Whom the Bell Tolls", Hemingway. It was some what of a slow read for me. I just ordered Mark Kenyons "That wild country" to start next.
I’ve been reading nonfiction about the Spanish Civil War. I finished “They Shall Not Pass” by Ben Hughes about British volunteers in the International Brigades, and I have a book coming from Amazon about the Abraham Lincoln Battalion.

I recently finished "Labyrinth of Ice" By Buddy Levy.
Great read and very entertaining.
Makes the inconveniences of this Covid ordeal seem very "mild" compared to the struggle those guys went through.
Andy

Just finished a great book on the 1918 "Spanish Flu" pandemic -
The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History by: John M. Barry
This is the "real life" story of how the 1918 pandemic started in Southwest Kansas, and how it spread, and was fought by medical scientists, in an age when virology and epidemiology were just getting started. The book also details just how vaccines were made under what we would say were medieval conditions. It also shows that after 100 years, the pandemic is still being studied.

Last edited:
Just finished Ivan Doig's novel Bucking The Sun. Just started Victor Davis Hanson's book The World Wars about WW2. I'm only about 30 pages into the book, but it's already great.

Just finished Ivan Doig's novel Bucking The Sun. Just started Victor Davis Hanson's book The World Wars about WW2. I'm only about 30 pages into the book, but it's already great.
Any book by Ivan Doig is great. My favorite is somewhat of an outlier in his Montana theme, "Sea Runner" set along the west coast of North America in the 19th century. It is in a class of its own.

Been on an audible kick lately. Listened to Where the Red Fern Grows with the kids this weekend. Definitely shed some tears, I remembered it was sad... but holy cow... Currently listening to Legends of the Fall by Harrison. Threw me off that the book is actually three short stories, the last of which is Legends of the Fall. I wonder when the overly "woke" crowd is going to cancel our best and classic American authors. Both Hemmingway and Harrison are both pretty damn sexist. But my gosh is it good writing.

This has been really good. Lots of meth-binges and people getting shot in cornfields. Has a pulp vibe but still well-written and engaging. Author definitely has a unique writing style, with lots of truncated sentences that make you read at a faster pace. I love the Gothic Appalachia subgenre and this fits right in...

Attachments

• 20210311_115256.jpg
    20210311_115256.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
I did find a historical error in the book. He marks someone using a ".30-30 saddle rifle" in July of 1890. Winchester did not release it until 1895. Not a mistake Louis L'Amour would have made, but forgivable.

The joys of being an OCD gun nut.
No one likes watching movies with me commenting about all the Winchester 94s and Colt SAAs that are supposedly being used at the wrong time.

I just finished this.
1C95B43A-7A7F-4674-8CCF-1AF9E7497B9C.jpeg

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back