What are you currently reading?

My brother bought me this book back in August. Just finished reading it. It’s really detailed on how the near demise of the American buffalo, the establishment of Yellowstone National Park, and organizations like Boone and Crockett Club are all linked together in a specific period in time that set the stage for what we know as conservation today. It details the works of George Bird Grinnell, Theodore Roosevelt and others as they pushed to save the bison, combat poaching, and establish game laws. If you enjoy hunting and recreating on public lands as we know them today this book might be of interest to you to understand how conservation of these wild places came to be in America .2B4222C1-4BF3-4332-AFD2-0B83F94E53DD.jpeg

Just finished Edward Abbey's "The Monkey Wrench Gang"

A couple of take aways:
1) Apparently throwing your beer cans out the truck window is a valid protest against the construction of tourist access roads.
2) I have to stop signing my name with a single initial at the front before my middle and last name.
3) It was written in 1975 and the character "Bishop Love" promises when he is Utah Governor he will get the Federal land back for Utah.

Hard to top a coloring book for suspense! :)

I'm presently reading two books by Peter Capstick - DEATH IN THE LONG GRASS and DEATH IN THE SILENT PLACES. He is a former Professional Hunter and is one of the most gifted writers I've read. His books focus on dangerous game in Africa...most of it first-hand experiences or people he knew personally. You'll come away with a new appreciation for the life and death struggles on the African continent while learning a lot about the dangerous game that inhabit that area.

Hard to top a coloring book for suspense! :)

I'm presently reading two books by Peter Capstick - DEATH IN THE LONG GRASS and DEATH IN THE SILENT PLACES. He is a former Professional Hunter and is one of the most gifted writers I've read. His books focus on dangerous game in Africa...most of it first-hand experiences or people he knew personally. You'll come away with a new appreciation for the life and death struggles on the African continent while learning a lot about the dangerous game that inhabit that area.
Several African professional hunters have told me Peter Capsticks books did a lot for increasing interest in African safari business. I enjoyed having an occasional drink with Peter at SCI conventions. One of my early Zambia PHs used to go to a non hunting lodge bar to hustle bird watchers, and as I recall, Peter was the manager/bartender there in his early days.

I recently finished "Operation Nemisis" by Eric Bogosian. Interesting but somewhat depressing book about the Armenian Geonocide and subsequent revenge assassinations of exiled Turkish bureaucrats who were responsible. Very well written.

For those of you interested in an easy to understand version of end time events and prophecies, consider "The Book of Signs" by Dr. David Jeremiah. This books helps you understand the prophecies in Revelations and how they fit into end-time events...and is especially appropriate for the times we are living in now. You can receive it for any donation to Turning Point Ministry.

"The White Sniper" about famed Finnish sniper Simo Haya during the Winter War with the Soviets.

Credited with 500+ kills in just over three months of combat. Iron sights... Heck of a read. The writing style is a bit mechanical, possibly due to the translation from Finnish, possibly because it was written by a military man.

It's good though, real good, and talks about Simo's accomplishments as a hunter as well.

Guy

I need to start reading more so hopefully this thread will keep me on track. I’m currently reading “Cabin Creek Chronicles”.View attachment 111259
That should be a great book. I believe that ranch is up in Idaho. Have read several books about that wilderness area and were really great. I believe there was a reallity tv show about that area. Good reading to you sir!

"Journal of a Trapper" by Osborn Russell, fascinating stuff
That book is some really interesting experiences in it. There are many other books about the old trappers of that day. I use Duckduckgo to find them. Some are really pricey due to out of print status. Enjoy.

Just finished Edward Abbey's "The Monkey Wrench Gang"

A couple of take aways:
1) Apparently throwing your beer cans out the truck window is a valid protest against the construction of tourist access roads.
2) I have to stop signing my name with a single initial at the front before my middle and last name.
3) It was written in 1975 and the character "Bishop Love" promises when he is Utah Governor he will get the Federal land back for Utah.
On No. 2: Why not use the single initial? Very interesting.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back