Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What are you currently reading?

Five Skies by Ron Carlson is a fictional story that captures the essence of western landscapes and people.
Opening paragraph:
"It was a cold May in all of Idaho, and as the month began there were only a few short
stacks of lumber and construction gear on the plateau above the remote river gorge,
along with all the game trails and manifold signs of rabbits, who were native to the place
and who now moved cautiously around the three men sleeping on the ground.
The first time Arthur Key saw the plateau at the far edge of the ranch called Rio Difficulto,
he was lying in a sleeping bag in the frigid open air at dawn, or a little before it, in the
deep gray light through so many creatures jostled in the sage. He was a big man and had
slept in rough sections, shouldering the oversized sleeping bag up over his right arm
and then his left by turns."

I'm reading 2 different books right now.

- Wild Men, Wild Alaska
- A Hunter's Heart: Short Essays on Blood Sport

A Hunter's Heart will really make you think and contemplate. I just started the other, but it was highly recommended to me.

Currently a few chapters deep into Boone: A Biography by Robert Morgan.

Kind of breaks my heart to read about the wilderness that Boone enjoyed in the Yadkin Valley and all the game he killed there. I grew up in the same region in a neighborhood and just wish I could've seen it then. Couldve wandered those woods as a teenager.

Finishing “The Second World Wars” by Victor Davis Hansen. Very dry and analytical but more info on WWII than you could hope to learn in a lifetime.

Recently finished and recommend

“Helmet for my Pillow” by Robert Leckie
“With the Old Breed” E.B. Sledge

and if you’re into more fiction military/espionage books I highly recommend the Tier 1 series by Andrews and Wilson. All of them are edge of your seat action and I can’t wait for the next book.

Currently a few chapters deep into Boone: A Biography by Robert Morgan.

Kind of breaks my heart to read about the wilderness that Boone enjoyed in the Yadkin Valley and all the game he killed there. I grew up in the same region in a neighborhood and just wish I could've seen it then. Couldve wandered those woods as a teenager.
Drove through there last week. It’s a far cry from wilderness now. I too wish I could have seen it then.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back