Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What are you currently reading?

I really admire those of you who can sit down and read a book. I've struggled with it my entire life. A book assignment in school was like a death sentence to me. Not because I don't want to learn. I love to learn. But I sometimes have to read the same page 3 times because my mind starts to wander and I can't focus that long.

My wife and especially our oldest daughter, devour books. They will go through 4-7 books/week. I have no idea how they do it.

That said, a good friend gave me a copy of "Scandalous Witness" recently, and from the 6 pages I've read so far, it's a groundbreaking book for true Christians in America. I hope I can finish it!
curious what part of that you find so amusing thatsjet

Just starting the Sheepshooters third book in a "semi-series" by Martel Scroggin. Kind of fiction-based-on-fact stories of the settling, history, and development of Central Oregon. Kinda neat to read stories (even though fiction) that relate to places I've been, hunted, and now live. He lived in Prineville off and on (passed away around 2010) and this books were “Wasco,” “The Moonlighters” and “The Sheepshooters.”

Powering my way through "Rebel Yell" by S.C.Gwynne.

A biography of sorts about Stonewall Jackson during the Civil War era and a look into his personality and private life. I must say it is one of the best books I've ever read.

Been working on The Wilderness Warrior:Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America by Douglas Brinkley. So far has been a good book and has caught my attention, although I'm only to his Sophomore year at Harvard. I think after this I'm gonna find a lighter read. Been heavy on history and conservation lately, so I think I may need something more "fun" after this one.

Using my quarantine time to finally read “Capital in the Twenty-First Century” by Thomas Piketty.

Everybody likes something different.

image.jpg
If you like southern literature, this guy is something special. I got my MA in Lit and still can’t think if any worthy comparisons.
If you grew up poor in coal country, this will haunt you.

I need to check that out @blueridge. I grew up in Ohio Valley Appalachia and tell folks that Hillbiilly Elegy is the story of my childhood. Growing up there is a big part of who I am today, but I have no desire to go back. As J.D. Vance says in the book “I had to get out to get up”.

I’d recommend Ramp Hollow as another good Appalachia read. Chronicles the downfall of the subsistent life of early Appalachia settlers by the industrial and land baron machine. Pretty sad how the machine trapped these people into a life of dependence on the machine.

I’d assume that many people on this forum enjoy adventure stories. Below is a list of my favorites, in no particular order. I have a fascination with early explorers and the risks they took and discomforts they persevered through. Their stories help me to put what I believe are struggles in my life into proper perspective and give me strength to push on.
  • Anything by Jon Krakauer, but especially Into Thin Ice and Into the Wild
  • Into Africa - Story of the early African expeditions of Stanley and Livingston to find the source of the Nile
  • In the Kingdom of Ice - Story of an early expedition to reach the North Pole.
  • 438 Days - Story of a man lost at sea in a small skiff for over a year drifting from Mexico to Asia
  • Between a Rock and Hard Place - Adventurer trapped in a slot canyon who cuts his arm off to save his life
  • Anything by Stephen Ambrose, but especially Nothing Like it in the World about the transcontinental railroad and Undaunted Courage about the Lewis and Clark expedition
  • Down the Great Unknow - story of Powell’s expedition through Grand Canyon.

Took a break from Moby to start on Volume 2 of Modern Huntsman... I know it's advertised as a mag, but it's an inch thick book. I have vol 4 next.

The Body by Bill Bryson. Same guy who wrote A Walk in the Woods.

I really loved that book...along with about everything else he has written.

Currently, I am reading two books:

Severed: A History of Heads Lost and Heads Found by Frances Larson (was actually in the bibliography of The Body)
Long Range Shooting Handbook by Ryan Cleckner.

I had a conversation with a black man working to improve representation in the outdoors and he recommended Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism by James Loewen. It’s a pretty eye-opening account of how we wound up with such a racially segregated society. The reader’s digest version being that it wasn’t by accident, nor is it limited to the south. Very challenging read.

Another nice thing about having recently moved...new library, more selection from Mr. Joe Pickett and family lol. Found some of the older ones- just finished Savage Run, Blood Trail, and
Trophy Hunt👍🏻
I liked to use the Fantastic Fiction website to make sure I go in order on books that are part of a series.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back