What are you currently reading?

"Spearhead" I'm about halfway through it. It's about the tank gunners in WWII. What's different about it is the story jumps back and forth from the perspectives of the opposing sides. It's a much easier read than the Theodore Roosevelt book I read last.91aznvr4g+L.jpg

Last edited:
I’m foaming at the mouth. I just unboxed 2 boxes of books that haven’t seen the light of day in 8 years. I was like a kid at Christmas looking forward to rereading some of my all time favorite books.

Attachments

• 5C632A6E-4424-4DA0-BFD7-0F04B35D15C8.jpeg
    5C632A6E-4424-4DA0-BFD7-0F04B35D15C8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Finished 'Long Range' last week. I'm a Pickett/Romanowski fan but this installment was a mail in by Box. Small glaring mistakes, plot holes, and a rushed anticlimactic ending.
I haven’t gotten that far yet. I’ve really enjoyed the ones I’ve read.

I'm not a big Turkey hunting but let me know how it is.

I really like it, good book and informative. I had built it up to be amazing from what I had heard about it and I wasn’t disappointed. It’s an easy read, and enjoyable, and that’s coming from someone who most likely consumed more beer in a 24 hour period in college than books I have read in my life.

Let’s just say at 33 with a family and kids now that ratio is changing. Quit drinking and starting to read more.

So I just finished The Red Lotus and Station Eleven, both fiction stories about a modern day plague (which I had reserved before the COVID outbreak, along with The Stand -which I am waiting on the next library loan cycle to finish up). While The Red Lotus is about the lead up to a pandemic outbreak, Station Eleven flips between the lives of a series of people both before and after the pandemic decimates the human population worldwide.
The Red Lotus was "just ok" at best, nothing to really sink into and care about. Station Eleven was aggressively full of plotholes and threads that were posed as being meaningful in the first and second act, and were simply never revisited or tied up. I would recommend neither.

I am currently reading The Institute (Stephen King, my old standby for a good story) and enjoying it. At the same time, I am starting Hedy's Folly, about WWII Hollywood socialite Hedy Lamarr, who happened to also invent weapons-guidance systems and the precursor to Wi-Fi; and The River of Doubt, a reflection of Pres. Theodore Roosevelt's trip down the Amazon River.

If anyone wants to read books or listen to audiobooks during this pandemic (and after), I strongly recommend the Libby app on your phone. It connects to your local library and you can digitally check out books for Kindle, audiobooks, and books to read on a tablet/phone for free.

Just finished "Hillbilly Elegy" by J. d. Vance. Now reading "On Killing" by Dave Grossman. Way overdue. Expected it to educational but a slog but its captivating.

Frontiersmen- A narrative by Allan Eckert. Great book looking at the life in the frontier in the mid to late 1700's. Pretty wild to read about Elk and Bison in the Ohio River Valley, Pennsylvania, and such.

Read On Killing when it first came out. He goes on some weird tangents trying to fill those pages.

I'm about 3/4 through it. I've noticed sometimes authors would be better just going with a shorter book. On the extreme, I loved Les Miserables but man could Hugo go on some tangents. I didn't two pages on the background of sewer systems and he went on for ever.

Catherine the Great by Massie. Interesting part of history I wasn't familiar with but it is a slow read. She enjoyed hunting as a youth, was in a miserable arranged marriage until she had him deposed and became empress, tried to change Russia with limited success, and had a lot of young lovers. You can now move on to the next book and thank me for saving you two weeks.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back