Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What are you currently reading?

IMG_1919.jpg

Released yesterday, my brother's first book.
Starting in Medieval times, he tells the stories of how evil humours are bled out of patients and progresses through the individual advances in the understanding of anatomy, disease processes and techniques to get where we are today with the ability to repair massive traumas and deal with illnesses small and large.

Each chapter also contains a story from his own life as an student, resident or orthopedic surgeon specializing in shoulders and elbows.

Of course I'm biased, and believe my brother is fantastic, but objectively, anyone in the healthcare field should read this book for perspective. And everyone else should read it for knowledge, wonder and the amazing true miracles (per the ancients) life stories of healing.

An excerpt from my brother's book (post #201 of this thread)

And the hits keep on coming regarding my brothers book (too much already???😳😬😆😁)

A reviewer at the Wall Street Jiurnal likes it:

In David Schneider’s bold and compelling “The Invention of Surgery,” modern surgery began with a great unlearning of venerable balderdash, some of it dating back as far as classical Greece. Two thousand years of Western medicine was based on the teachings of Hippocrates, whose theory of the four humors added words to our vocabulary such as bilious and sanguine but also killed off untold numbers of patients. Critically ill and dehydrated patients were given noxious drugs to provoke vomiting and diarrhea, or bled to death with leeches and lancets. “If Hippocrates is the Father of Medicine, it is a dubious paternity,” Dr. Schneider writes. “We can’t identify any success associated with his (or his followers’) theories.”

Just finished Game of Snipers by Stephen Hunter.
Good entertaining, quick read.

Also just finished Profiles in Corruption by Peter Schweizer.
Pretty painful reading how corrupt our politicians are.

Lonesome Dove. Takes a while to finish that one. Favorite quote from yesterday’s reading. “ Yesterday’s gone on down the river and you can’t get it back.

My grandpa's old hunting and fishing journals from the late 1970's/early 1980's.
Mostly Yellowstone and North Park, Colorado areas. Sounds like 16"-20" cutthroats were jumping in the boat all day long on Yellowstone Lake and deep-snow elk hunting in mid-January near Cameron Pass.
Very cool stuff.

I am currently in a situation that gives me a bit of time to read and I am reading three different books, plus I read the Bible each day.

Re Reading

Green Hills of Africa
and
The Torah ( the five books of Moses )

First Time Read

Historic Love Triangles

Everyone knows Cleopatra, but there have been others that boarder on insanity IMHO

Just finished CJ Box’s newest book “ Long Range” excellent author! It does get western!

Back