Yeti GOBOX Collection

What are you currently reading?

Finished "Savage Run", Joe Pickett #2 today. Still predictable, but better than #1.

Started "Fly Fishing Idaho's Secret Waters" by Chris Hunt this afternoon.
They’re all pretty predictable. It’s like more binge watching a just-entertaining-enough Netflix series than watching a cinematic masterpiece in awe of the accomplishment.

A few summer ago I read everything he’d published up until the time, churning through them back to back in two or three days at a time. I found them to be great beach/tent/laying down before bed reads.

Started "Fly Fishing Idaho's Secret Waters" by Chris Hunt this afternoon.
How secret can they be if there’s a book about it? Any good?

If there’s no mention of a certain cast iron frying pan hanging in a tree at a specific location the author doesn’t know bubkis about secret fishing places in ID.

But maybe I’m just a little extra salty… I hate this time of year.

If there’s no mention of a certain cast iron frying pan hanging in a tree at a specific location the author doesn’t know bubkis about secret fishing places in ID.

This one?

P9174277.JPG

I recently started in on the Joe Pickett series by CJ Box. They are a good read because they take me back to Wyoming. There is also some overlap in the landscape and geography to the Longmire books, which I really like.

That being said, I always read too many in a series too fast and they all run together and become predictable. So I have forced myself to slow down on the Pickett books.

I recently started in on the Joe Pickett series by CJ Box. They are a good read because they take me back to Wyoming. There is also some overlap in the landscape and geography to the Longmire books, which I really like.

That being said, I always read too many in a series too fast and they all run together and become predictable. So I have forced myself to slow down on the Pickett books.

I am in agreement with all of you on the CJ Box stuff. I have never ever been a fiction reader, mainly non fiction stuff. I find these a good way to disconnect and just like several have said, it takes me back to parts of WY/MT that I have been through. I am caught up on all the Joe Pickett stuff, and now reading the ones that are by Box, but Pickett is not the main character. I will be waiting on his next one to come out next month.

Speaking of kind of cheesy but fun western/outdoor adjacent mystery series, did anyone else enjoy the fly fishing private detective Sean Stranahan series by Keith McCafferty? (Royal Wulff Murders, etc)

I hope the author has another in the works for my summer tent reading.

Finished it today. Its a pretty quick read if you can settle in. A lot of the usual streams, but some new ones I think I will have to try. I've been in there before, but I think an extended trip to Kelly/Cayuse might be in order this summer.

He got me interested in trying tenkara style. Long, light pole, no reel. I think it might be really interesting in a lot of those small fast streams. How many times have I flipped a worm into a hole on the St. Maries or Marble? Flipped terrestrials in late summer should work just as good.

@neffa3 -Started "Dirt" last night.

In front of me:
Making Your own Lumber.
USFS log cabin book construction guide.
25 19th Century Farm House plans
More Joe Pickett
A couple of Gierach's

When I get caught up, I'm ordering "King of Fish"

Last edited:
Is that the style where you basically sling shot whatever into position? I saw a video of it recently and thought “well hell, wish I thought of that.”

Would have come in handy in lots of those over grown, no back cast allowed places when I was a kid.

I have never gotten the hang of roll casting. Just ends up piled up at my feet.
Not to derail, but you can make more conventional casts with them as well. I used to use one that was gifted to me on rhododendron choked streams in the Smokies a bit. Always thought a larger one would be swell on spring creek type technical streams where one bad cast can spook a whole pool.

To bring it back on topic, I believe Yvon Chouinard wrote a book about using them.

I typically fall back on Hemingway mid winter. I'm re-reading all of his short stories.
Anyone been to an actual bullfight?
Lived in Spain for a year when I was a kid.
I remember going to bullfights and watching them on TV in Madrid.
I also remember Franco flying his planes over the city as a show of force.
It was in the mountains here where I discovered wild trout.
Reading Hemingway again and again, never gets old.

I typically fall back on Hemingway mid winter. I'm re-reading all of his short stories.
Anyone been to an actual bullfight?
Lived in Spain for a year when I was a kid.
I remember going to bullfights and watching them on TV in Madrid.
I also remember Franco flying his planes over the city as a show of force.
It was in the mountains here where I discovered wild trout.
Reading Hemingway again and again, never gets old.
I went to some in Spain when I was a little kid.
Watched a few on TV as an adult with family.
Would never go to another one.

Now, if they got rid of the picadors and the guy had the balls to stand out there in front of a bull that didn't have his neck muscles cut to pieces? I'd pay full price for that seat. I give them a 50/50 shot of making it out, or at the very least, it would make things far more interesting. If you could bet on the bull it could be bigger than MMA.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back