Votes: 42 21.9%
  • 50's

Votes: 14 7.3%
  • 60+

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Still Hammering

Votes: 73 38.0%

• Total voters
That's interesting I know a LOT of guys collecting different pensions and have never heard of them offering this once. Is that a public sector thing?
I admit not all are the same, but in many of the public pensions typically there is a decision : collect X monthly or Y with COLA (where X is greater than Y, obviously). Regardless, as I tell my father, hard for young people to listen to a Boomer collecting SS and a pension, ranting about the government while dishing out advice from a golf cart during league play. Only upside is it is the only way a college graduate has heard about a pension unless they work in the government.

I admit not all are the same, but in many of the public pensions typically there is a decision : collect X monthly or Y with COLA (where X is greater than Y, obviously). Regardless, as I tell my father, hard for young people to listen to a Boomer collecting SS and a pension, ranting about the government while dishing out advice from a golf cart during league play. Only upside is it is the only way a college graduate has heard about a pension unless they work in the government.
Yah to my knowledge none of the trades have that at least in this immediate area. Other than trades and public I don't know if there are too many places that offer a true pension anymore?

We all trust different sources. Here's one example. https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/per...s-only-27-of-wealthy-americans-are-self-made/ Inherited wealth is part of it, but so is the setting one grows up in, such as schools, access to advanced education, connections, living in favorable geography, etc. Since the 1980s, inheritance taxes have been branded as unfair "death taxes" and have been trimmed way back, allowing families to pass more money on to their kids. IMO the American "lift your self by the bootstraps" myth is very deeply believed, but not really backed up by data. The rich get richer, the poor work harder, and the gulf between the rich and the poor has gotten much worse in the US in my lifetime. I have a close family member, for example, who is a Harvard MBA who got a job with a new startup called Microsoft back in the 1990s. I'm proud of her and she worked hard and is way smarter than me. But her upbringing and education level allowed her to turn the key. A lot of "success" is luck. Anyway I'm getting political and let's get back to elk hunting...
Success = (x)luck * (y ) choices.

How much anyone can say as far as the x and y variable multipliers, no one really knows. But you get to control only one of them.

I might only concur that they do not that they need to, with the difference being no one actually teaches you how to make money, you have to learn that yourself, and along the way you got a college education, but it isn't necessarily related.
It’s like Montana Bonus points.

They aren’t worth as much now as 20 years ago.

Sometimes people without any draw the tag.

Most folks who draw have them.

The issuer is the only real beneficiary.

Recognizing the opportunity in front of you is huge. Good choices lead to more good opportunities for more choice, maybe it is squared.
All my customers are millionaires and a large group of the associated professionals are close.

Key to success I see in my small survey group: hard work and intelligence. You’ll figure out how to make your opportunities.

I can't help but share this comic strip, which illustrates all your points to a T:

https://www.boredpanda.com/privilege-explanation-comic-strip-on-a-plate-toby-morris/

That comic strip makes a fair point but it’s regrettable that so much of society claims the other guys “privilege” for their own misfortunes. It implies an inherent guilt. Neither my parents nor grandparents were wealthy by any means but they were there for me and let me know which behaviors were unacceptable. No one should be made to feel guilty for wise decision making by their ancestors. And I’m not talking a silver spoon. I’m talking avoiding jail, graduating high school, not getting pregnant as a teenager. These basic steps are attainable by anyone and greatly enhance one’s prospects of economic success. Some poverty is generational for a reason.

It’s like Montana Bonus points.

They aren’t worth as much now as 20 years ago.

Sometimes people without any draw the tag.

Most folks who draw have them.

The issuer is the only real beneficiary.
Disagree.
Those are both in the same game.

My concession is more like smart, driven people are constantly told they should go to college. So they do. Then later they make your 250k. Had someone told them to travel Europe instead of college they would have. Then later also made 250k, probably in something entirely different.

Or maybe they wouldn't and instead of making money that trip to Europe convinced them to be a public servant. Idk, but I stand against the claims that college=success

Disagree.

My concession is more like smart, driven people are constantly told they should go to college. So they do. Then later they make your 250k. Had someone told them to travel Europe instead of college they would have. Then later also made 250k, probably in something entirely different.

Or maybe they wouldn't and instead of making money that trip to Europe convinced them to be a public servant. Idk, but I stand against the claims that college=success
= success, no

Increases the likelihood of, demonstrably true by every objective measure.

I do agree that it’s a bit chicken or the egg.

Disagree.

I’d bet for every person that went to college and makes 250k there is a 1000 that won’t break 80k

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back