Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Western Yukon Hunt

Calvin

Starting my trip this morning to head up north for 14 days in the bush chasing Bull Moose. (DIY) Flying into a lake south of Nulato. Wish me luck! I'll report on the 26th when I get home.

My hunt report..

Didn't hunt. Things went down hill and our transporter couldn't do what he said he could do.

Everything went perfectly in the beginning.. Showed up in Anchorage. Met up with my hunting buddy. We grabbed groceries, checked zero on our rifles, had a steak dinner, etc..

Sunday we flew to a smallish AK community. All our gear shows up undamaged, and the stuff that was mailed up was there.

They weigh us and our gear.. Perfect. We just make weight. (we were going in heavy) The pilot tells us to make our drop off, we need to shed 120lbs because he needs to pack a little extra fuel to make it home. We are a bit confused as we weren't told this when making plans, but we roll with it. We dive through our gear and it takes us 30 minutes to shed our redundant and luxury gear. All our gear gets loaded on the plane..

In the office before we head out to the plane, the pilot asks us "now what lake do you want to get dropped off at?' (We had told them 4 different times on the phone when making our reservations with the owner) We pull out our maps. He says, "I can't go there". What?!! He then claims that his plane can't even get us near where we had our tags. He then tells us that his plane that goes 100mph (they told us 125mph when making the plans) can't fly 190 miles to our lake, as it would take 4 hours each way. (wtf?) The owner of the operation was out hunting, so we couldn't even speak to the guy who we made the reservations with. The gal behind the counter said he'd be back the next day to me, then once things heated up, they changed their story and said he'd be back in 5 days. Not a good situation by any means, as the crew did a good job of being too clueless for us to really get pissed at them.

We then had some locals (friends of the operation) show up to "help" us. They talked up a float hunt on a river that could be done with over the counter tags, they claimed was great moose hunting. yada yada yada.. We worked our phones and called our friends, our friends friends, and every biologist we could get on the phone that was familiar with that area. Apparently the "great" moose hunting river was at an all time low for moose. (wolves) A bio very familiar with that area said the odds were extremely low to see (1) 50" moose. (2) 50" moose? Forget about it.. It was very tough to throw in the towel. Believe me. I wanted to convince myself to do the low percentage float hunt, but my brain was telling me that we were getting scammed, lied to, and they just wanted my money.

I'm not going to get into any more specifics publicly, but several laws were broken by the transporter in the whole ordeal. I'm not going to show my hand till it's all said and done.

I'm back home now. Learned a few things. Glad to be far away from those guys up there, an I'm grateful I never stepped on one of their planes. Their office/hanger/operation was a wreck, and if they treat their planes the same way, I want nothing to do with them.

Calvin,

I am sorry to hear that and sympathize with your situation. It's like a kick in th sack isn't it.

My AK moose/caribou hunt this fall fell apart fall two weeks before I was to leave. The worst part is was a family memebr who didn't do what he was supposed to do.

Good luck with recouping any losses. Don't let some idiot ruin you're fall. Get out and hunt something else.

It's a life lesson. I've had one hell of a year thus far, and I don't plan on slowing down. The good news is that because we didn't take the bait and switch hunt, I have a good amount of cash to roll over to next years hunts.

That blows. After its all worked out, I'd like the name of the transporter..Just to make sure I never use them.

I think I'd come unglued if I flew in from down here and had that happen.

Calvin, sorry to hear the hunt fell apart. Good luck on getting some restitution from them and hopefully the rest of the year goes better for you.

Nevermind, saw it on the other site. Pretty sure I know who it was.

It is a little scary in that hanger, office shop, etc.

Last edited:
Wow - what a nasty pork job.... Hope you get the best of them after all is said and done.

Like Buschy said, get out an kill something and get it off your chest.

I am sorry about your hunt, that really sucks to get really excited about something like that only to be screwed over. I really wish it were possible to post the names of these jokers without fear of legal issues so others can stay far away!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back