Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Western Youth Hunts

maxx

My boys are 8 and 10. I am planning right now to do a late spring early summer hog hunt with my dad and two boys down in Texas or OK. My older boy has two does under his belt and my younger one has a nice 7 point from last year.

What are the rules out west for the young guns? Do they have to be 12 and have hunter safety?

What are some cheep hunts we could do together when they are young? I am thinking Antelope or maybe a cow elk hunt?

Youth sports are already fogging up our schedule that I would like to do as much with the boys together before they get into high school activities.

Thoughts.

I'd do Wyoming antelope. Lots of action, cheap doe tags, just plain cool animals, and delicious. I did my first antelope hunt ever this year in a leftover unit out there and 3 of us had our 6 tags filled by 9:00 a.m. on the second morning of the hunt, all on public land. It was a hoot! We will be back next year for sure.

Northwest Nebraska for deer. (There is a bunch of public land in that area)

Tags are $6 for youth, even as a non resident.

A forever archery season Aug-Dec

A week long rifle season Nov

A month long smoke pole season Dec

Northwest Nebraska for deer. (There is a bunch of public land in that area)

Tags are $6 for youth, even as a non resident.

A forever archery season Aug-Dec

A week long rifle season Nov

A month long smoke pole season Dec

That may not be a bad idea for Muley's. My buddy has ground in Southwest Nebraska that I killed a nice one on a few years back. I believe you have to be 12 to deer hunt Nebraska though.

I would look at what gives you the most bang for your buck or doe as the case may be. For instance, an antelope is probably the cheapest, however it allows you to hunt coyote and shoot prairie dogs all in the same time frame. Prairie dogs allow a youth to get a lot of shooting in and they are a blast. Don't rule out the bonus species if time permits.

Idaho has very generous youth options. You'll have to read the rules in detail, but here are some key points for youth:
Big game age is now 10.
There are a lot of over-the-counter deer and elk opportunities, but if you're planning on hunting Idaho anyway it would be worth putting in as a group for a higher success rate limited entry hunt (application deadline June 5) then hunt general as a backup. There is no point system for the drawing, so you start out with the same odds as everyone else.

If the youth has hunted before (in any state), they will need hunter education (most state certificates are accepted). The youth mentored license is only $31.75 (they must be accompanied by a mentor - aka adult with a license and tag for the same species). Add a youth mentored deer tag for $23.75, and/or elk for $39.75. In short, they can be mule deer hunting for $55.50, and hunting both deer and elk for under $100.
You will need a paying adult hunter to go with the youth but your total bill for a 3 person mule deer hunt consisting of 1 non-resident adult and 2 non-resident mentored youth would be under $600.

Most general deer units allow youth to shoot either sex - adults are mostly antlered. Most general elk tags are for cows, and most decent bull tags are by drawing.

If they have never hunted, the hunter passport is an option. Hunter passport allows a 1-time option for anyone that wants to try hunting before committing to hunter ed. Passport hunters MUST be accompanied by a mentor (aka adult with a valid hunting license). The passport is only available to hunters who have never held a license in any state. Cost is $1.75 for the license. *Passport hunters can't put in for limited entry hunts, but they can buy general tags.

That's it for the easy part...

If fall is too busy, spring bear hunting may be something to consider. Success rates are lower than deer, elk, and antelope but your costs would be similar.

Kansas has no minimum age requirements. Plenty of land to hunt and good deer numbers . Youth only season in September.

What he says-

Idaho has very generous youth options. You'll have to read the rules in detail, but here are some key points for youth:
Big game age is now 10.
There are a lot of over-the-counter deer and elk opportunities, but if you're planning on hunting Idaho anyway it would be worth putting in as a group for a higher success rate limited entry hunt (application deadline June 5) then hunt general as a backup. There is no point system for the drawing, so you start out with the same odds as everyone else.

If the youth has hunted before (in any state), they will need hunter education (most state certificates are accepted). The youth mentored license is only $31.75 (they must be accompanied by a mentor - aka adult with a license and tag for the same species). Add a youth mentored deer tag for $23.75, and/or elk for $39.75. In short, they can be mule deer hunting for $55.50, and hunting both deer and elk for under $100.
You will need a paying adult hunter to go with the youth but your total bill for a 3 person mule deer hunt consisting of 1 non-resident adult and 2 non-resident mentored youth would be under $600.

Most general deer units allow youth to shoot either sex - adults are mostly antlered. Most general elk tags are for cows, and most decent bull tags are by drawing.

If they have never hunted, the hunter passport is an option. Hunter passport allows a 1-time option for anyone that wants to try hunting before committing to hunter ed. Passport hunters MUST be accompanied by a mentor (aka adult with a valid hunting license). The passport is only available to hunters who have never held a license in any state. Cost is $1.75 for the license. *Passport hunters can't put in for limited entry hunts, but they can buy general tags.

That's it for the easy part...

NM doesn't have age requirements and loads of youth only hunts.Colorado has cheap youth tags for NR.You can build points in Wy for youths pretty cheap.I've been building points for my oldest son since he was 12 and will be cashing in the next 2 years while he gets reduced priced licenses in both Wy and Co

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back