Yeti GOBOX Collection

Western Montana rut?

steamfitter

When does the rut usually kick in here in western montana. This is first year in the 10 years i have lived here and that i will be home to hunt and not off on some pipline somewhere.

18th-22nd is magic time for whitetail, although the bucks should start cruising and acting funny this week.

18th-22nd is magic time for whitetail, although the bucks should start cruising and acting funny this week.

of november or october? Cant say ive messed with WT's that much, but I did find a pretty good spot during archery and was planning on hitting it later in nov.

Just saw a 120ish size buck scraping tonight. Neck was pretty swelled up so its starting...........

But yes, I've found the 12th thru 23rd as prime rut time.

WT bucks around here are already fighting. One of my close hunting partners rattled in a beautiful trophy sized buck a week ago Monday. Sucker came charging in and stopped 30 yards away where he popped him.

Used to eat, sleep, and dream about deer hunting when I lived in MT. Used to start scouting in July, and quit when they shed... I agree with Critter... I think most of the bucks I shot were between the 15-25.

Bucks are starting to carve out core areas, scrapes and rub lines. Rattleing and calling will work well from now until mid November, then all bets are off. My experience is that the buck sightings really drop off around the 20th or so. The last week is not nearly as good as the week before.

Good luck! I can't wait to chase deer... only 11 more days!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back