West Texas Aoudad hunt, March 2011

Powderhorn09

These are some photos of an Aoudad that I was able to take in 2011. I was fortunate enough to take this great ram on my 63rd birthday, last day of the hunt and within 15 minutes of taking a spur down off the ridge to go back and break camp. Since I have posted on a couple of other threads about Aoudad, I thought I would post mine to show why I have such an interest in these animals. I grew up reading Jack O'Connor tales of hunting mountain sheep and always dreamed of doing so. However, a school teacher's salary left me with the realization that Bighorn and Dall sheep were out of my affordable price range. I stumbled onto these amazing animals after a chance sighting outside of Alpine, Texas. After googling for hours I came upon what I thought was a reasonable price for a guided hunt and booked it. The hunt was offered through West Texas Hunting out of El Paso and Tyler Wilson, my guide, worked his butt off for me! I was fortunate that this animal was truly a trophy, very massive, carrying the mass throughout the length of the horn, and actually tying for #51 in the SCI records for free range Aoudad. Since I am not a member of SCI he wasn't entered into the books. I am now looking to do a DIY type hunt next spring and am going to try to put another one of these guys under my belt. Thanks for looking.
Powderhorn09

Attachments

• 100_0105m.jpg
    100_0105m.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 352
  • 100_0104m.jpg
    100_0104m.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 302
Cool looking animal, and way to make the best of the cards that you are dealt. I can't imagine being able to afford some species of hunts either, but until then I will enjoy what I can. Great job!

Very nice! Congrats! BOY has one mounted and they are very cool looking critters to hang on the wall.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back