Aoudad advice

WildWill

I was fortunate enough to draw a hunt in Texas at Devils River SNA for unlimited "exotics" Jan 20th-23rd. The hunt area has corsican sheep, Catalina goat, axis deer, and aoudad. After talking with the biologist it sounds like the corsican sheep and Catalina goats are few and far between and the axis are only in certain areas so getting a crack at one of those will depend on my luck in drawing compartments. The good news is it sounds like the aoudad are plentiful and found throughout the whole area. The biologist gave me a little info like the ewes will be in large groups of 20- 40 but the rams will be in separate groups and harder to find but that was about it. So anyone have any advice or tips for hunting aoudad? It sounds like the terrain is fairly open with some hills that should allow for some decent glassing opportunities. Right now the plan is to find a area or two were I can glass most of my compartment and spend as much time behind my glass as possible. I would think glassing the top third especially higher elevation benches would be more productive then the bottoms but that's a complete assumption. What should I be looking for while glassing and where should I focus my efforts? Any help would be appreciated.

No advice other than good luck. I’ve been putting in for that hunt for a while, maybe a decade off and on.

I have only hunted them once, but I would say glass from one spot as well as you can then move to another vantage point to glass. Once you find them take your time, have great eye sight, as once you bump them they can be very hard to relocate them. I found them to be on the higher ridges. It took my brother and I almost 8 hours of glassing to find any, so keep glassing and moving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back