Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Welfare ranchers in MT want even more

BuzzH

FWP opposes stockgrower wildlife plan
Associated Press

BOZEMAN (AP) - Wildlife officials said they will oppose an idea touted by ranchers that would give landowners a guaranteed number of elk and deer licenses in return for granting some public access.

At its meeting last week, the Montana Stockgrowers Association decided to look into such an arrangement, perhaps asking legislators next month to make it law.

Jeff Hagener, director of the Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks, said the stockgrowers' plan isn't the answer to frustration landowners feel in dealing with surging wildlife populations.
MSGA's proposal
The MSGA is developing what it calls the Montana Wildlife Partnership, under which landowners would create wildlife management plans with the help of FWP.

Landowners could then sell "letters of authorization," which would guarantee issuance of a big game license and the right to hunt the land.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They'd likely be sold to nonresidents who would otherwise have to apply for a license in a lottery.

The ranchers say their plan would offer some of the special tags to Montana residents for free.

The ranching group said wild animals are running roughshod over private rangeland and destroying crops, and something needs to be done to control them.
Finding middle ground
But Hagener said the nation has a long tradition of treating wildlife as public property.

"They're not private livestock," he said.

Some sportsmen's groups have also voiced strong opposition to the idea.

FWP is rewriting its 10-year-old elk management plan, and it is working to involve more landowners, Hagener said.

"There's a real opportunity right now as we begin the process," he said.

Hagener said the agency does realize that there are too many elk and deer in places, causing conflicts with landowners.

Ranchers also want hunting seasons to end when harvest quotas are met, not on a seemingly arbitrary date.

Hagener said FWP is considering such seasons and has done pilot projects in some areas.

"We understand the landowners' concerns," Hagener said. "But we also understand the sportsmen's concerns and we're hoping to come up with something in the middle."

Copyright 2002 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

You talk about a bunch of hypocrits, this has to be the all time best use of the statement, the pot calling the kettle black.

For Christ sake.

"The ranching group said wild animals are running roughshod over private rangeland and destroying crops, and something needs to be done to control them."

Yet they dont have a problem with their cattle running roughshod over public lands??? What the hell???

The licenses already issued by the state are good on private property. So it sounds like they need to let the public in to kill some animals. They're just looking for a way to make a profit on the state's animals. If they really wanted the animals gone, they'd let the public in, and pressure would really reduce the numbers of animals. That's why the elk are there in the first place. It's safe! I'm beginning to turn in my feelings for these deals that the landowners make with the states in return for guaranteed licenses.

Oak

MT hunters ain't gonna let that happen. The stockgrowers and the PL/PW committee can take their similar plan and go piss up a $*)Q!#@$ rope.

They've done a similar approach in UT and all it does is allow the private landowners to make MUCHO money. The sportsmen get the shaft. These type of actions will move hunting in the US to be more akin to that found in Europe, IMO. I hope they fight it tooth and nail. If it does pass, I hope the sportsmens groups start HAMMERING the ranchers who are abusing the public lands! If they are gonna make money off the a public owned resource on their own land I think they should be able to make it without the public land for grazing.

Greenhorn, dont hold anything back, tell us how you really feel.

I agree with you 100 percent. I wrote all the commissioners and your good Gov. Judy about a week ago.

Any other ideas on who to write to tell them they need to "piss up a rope"?

I'm sure this wont pass this time, but the problem with ideas like this is, they resurface every few years. So, basically I think anyone who hunts, intends to hunt, or even thinks they may hunt MT, needs to get on this thing and drive the point home.

We got it right here. Right now.

Called ranching for wildlife.

Takes a bunch of points to draw em but you can also buy a hunt due to the landowner tags. (yes they sell them)

Some nice hunting on the properties or so I'm told.

Precisely why the rich get to hunt the best stuff and CO residents get to shoot raghorns every year. Then to appease the peasants every 10-12 years you can hunt a good ranch. So, in a lifetime you can expect at least 2-3 decent hunts. No matter how you slice it, this one is not good for the average joe-hunter.

No thanks, it may be great for CO, but I dont want to see MT or WY go to it.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-19-2002 19:55: Message edited by: BuzzH ]</font>

Hey mule, the difference is you never post anything worth editing. Plus, you probably dont even know how to use that complicated function.

I'll edit this post soon.

My BUZZ FUZZ is tingling with ITHICA BERRIES!

Holy christ.....now I'm editing...Contagious!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-19-2002 20:09: Message edited by: MULE ]</font>

Silly question Ithica. You know you are going to take me to all the gay bars in Idaho(WINK).

Love ya doll! ;)

And yet......more Sophmoric Drivel...

1whatchu.jpg

In harmony now, with mule, as his guide points out a horse....

99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer.....

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back