Weired things that happened in the field

Gunner46

In the nights dark, before the sun even thought of breaking the horizon, I screwed my steps into a tree and worked my up, slowly, as quietly as I could. When I got about 10-12 feet up I un-delicately attached the lock-on tree stand, then made even more noise getting set up & settled in. 30 min to go B4 the sun crested, so I'm feeling I'm good to go. About 15 minutes after the 1st orange of sunlight crested I got slapped on the back of the head by a turkey using me as a launch pad to get off the roost ! The d@mn thing was about 1' above my head for 45 minutes !!

Made a blind out of a brush pile in Kansas which I didn't realize was home to a ton of mice. Was in full camo for archery deer and heard something run up behind me close to last light. I turned around and had a large bobcat trot right at me and sit down at my boots. I thought it was going to hop the one small log I had across my entrance I stood up and jumped at it cause it to freak out and run about 20 yards. Then it just looked at me and slowly walked off.

I walked in to one morning using a head lamp and when I got to the tree I wanted to set up in a laid my bow down, took off my climber and started to hook it to the tree and on the small tree just a few feet away was a skinned coon carcass right at eye level. The small tree was on the other side of the tree I planned on setting up in on the walk in and I never saw it. I about jumped out of my skin.

Neighbor took me to his place to turkey hunt. Said for us to set up against this large oak tree. We got settled in we’ll before daylight. I kept hearing something in the leaves around my boot. I finally got out a flashlight, cupped my hand over it so the light wouldn’t go everywhere and shined by my boot. There was a small copperhead. I said, “Grey, I’ve got a snake here with me”. He said, “what do you want me to do for you?” I said “I don’t know, but I’m about to get the $&@! Up out of here!”

I was hiking once in the head of Gilbert Creek in the northern Sapphires with a buddy. We were hiking down a closed logging road and came around the corner to a woman lying in the middle of the road. We were a good half mile from the truck and really kind of out of the way. I though for sure we were discovering a dead body. Upon closer inspection, she was alive, her pupils were the size of avocados, and she informed us that she had consumed some mushrooms earlier and was enjoying the out-of-doors. We wished her well on her cosmic journey and hiked on...

Last edited:
Moved back to CO from MT and was scouting for a place to hunt ducks. Found a pond surrounded by reeds?? that were ~7ft high. There were cow paths through them for a bit and then the last 30 yards you just how to plow forward until you hit a little sandy beach around the edge of the pound.

Gus was walking between my legs as I pushed through and I could barely see him because of how thick it was. All of a sudden I hear a rustle about 15 feet in front of me and gus hightails it back the way we had come. I see this big patch of fur trucking towards me, presumably chasing him, I swing my shotgun around and blast it more or less between my legs.

Fun fact, corgis have no fear of black bears but are terrified of beavers.

1589905588314.png

1589905619807.png

I was hiking once in the head of Gilbert Creek in the northern Sapphires with a buddy. We were hiking down a closed logging road and came around the corner to a woman lying in the middle of the road. We were a good half mile from the truck and really kind of out of the way. I though for sure we were discovering a dead body. Upon closer inspection, she was alive, her pupils were the size of avocados, and she informed us that she had consumed some mushrooms earlier and was enjoying the out-of-doors. We wished her well on her cosmic journey and hiked on...

We need pics Dude !!

While planting trees for a habitat project making a thermal cover area a Ruffed Grouse kept following me around. Finally I held out my hand and it jumped up and I carried it around in my hand for a while and now that area is called crazy grouse hollow

Moved back to CO from MT and was scouting for a place to hunt ducks. Found a pond surrounded by reeds?? that were ~7ft high. There were cow paths through them for a bit and then the last 30 yards you just how to plow forward until you hit a little sandy beach around the edge of the pound.

Gus was walking between my legs as I pushed through and I could barely see him because of how thick it was. All of a sudden I hear a rustle about 15 feet in front of me and gus hightails it back the way we had come. I see this big patch of fur trucking towards me, presumably chasing him, I swing my shotgun around and blast it more or less between my legs.

Fun fact, corgis have no fear of black bears but are terrified of beavers.

View attachment 140842

View attachment 140843
My brother in law had a dog get into it with a beaver once Out hunting his dog went after it and got into it. the beaver lit him up pretty good the dog changed his mind quick and ran off Wanted no part of that beaver.

I hunt primarily in Texas. One year I built a semi natural ground blind with a circular entrance so you’d still be covered 360 degrees. Dome type set up.

During one of my hunts a group of cows were working through. One huge female made her way to my blind and was overly curious. Eventually she made her way in to the entrance and blind all together. With me. When she realized what was going on, she spooked as if hit with a hot shot. Tore that blind to bite size pieces trying to get out.

And that ended my hunt.

Back when we had a ton of deer here we had a lot of close encounters. One morning in particular was comical. My dad was laying in a waterway about 10 feet in front of me, I was hunkered in a cedar tree taking pictures for a class project, he can hear the click of the camera so reaches out to part the grass and a doe steps right on his hand. He whispers “oh $&*+ and pulls his hand back, she jumps and takes off. Both of them were startled to say the least. About a half hour later I’m looking at a buck in the scope, I was debating on shooting him, all of the sudden the scope goes brown. A yearling doe was 6” from the end of my barrel and had no clue I was there. I pushed the gun forward and poked her, she jumped about 6’ off the ground.

Had a bobcat one afternoon climb half way up the tree I was in for a closer look. He jumped down, I flung an arrow and missed, we called it a draw and went out separate ways.

I was in a tree during archery season and had a Cooper’s hawk come at my face. It had sat in a tree 15 yards from me for quite a while trying to figure out what I was. It finally decided it wanted a snack and flew straight at me...I stood up and it flared off...

Was duck hunting with my cousin on a friends farm, it was a new property and we left in the dark to head towards waters, out of the gloom appeared a shiny round circle about 30 yards in diameter, we all assumed it was a dry sandy bowl but when my cousin stepped on it as he was about 3 steps ahead of the others he just completely disappeared from view. C grade browning and he is 6ft5 and everything disappeared.
As he spluttered to the surface while we were rolling around on the ground laughing our asses off it turns out the sandy cover was little clover plants completely covering a very small pond which made it look like sand in the dark..
a quick trip back to camp for more clothes and out we went and slayed a few ducks :)

About ten years ago my Dad and I were hunting a very nice buck. Due to my Dad’s limited mobility I had him set up in a double bull ground blind. As my Dad’s blind was relatively close to the buck’s bedding area, we didn’t zip the blind closed at night. The next morning my Dad got himself 3/4 of the way in to the blind when he discovered a porcupine had entered over night. It was quite the surprise, and he moved more quickly than he had in years. None were worse for the wear - although Mr. Porcupine blew up our attempt at stealth that morning.

Back