Weed wacker

I don't have time to drive to the only couple stations to get it. The fact that we are using ethanol in our fuel is ridiculous. That's a whole other topic though.:mad:

I find seven stations in Bozemen ethanol free. As for you opinion on ethanol, I can't disagree.:D

Was that during his first term in 2005?;):D
LOL, and I've never seen a station in Bozeman where you COULDN'T find non-ethanol gas because I won't support that disaster of a fuel ;).

But back to weedeaters....

Last edited:
Was that during his first term in 2005?;):D

Ok I realized it started before his term but it can't all be Bushes fault :). Anyway if you talk to any decent small engine mechanic they will tell you what's happening to 2 cycle equipment but what do I know about them. As far as a disaster of fuel. When fertilizer prices have doubled to keep up with demand for corn you feel it it in the pocket book and at the grocery store. I apologize for throwing Obama out there ( too much talk radio) The next time I replace the plastic primer bulb because its been totally eaten up by the ethanol. I'll remember this thread.

Go buy a Stihl or echo and be happy.

Just having a little fun. Fair and Balanced?:D

Time to get away from the computer and enjoy some more of the day.

I got a Stihl this morning. Now I'll feed it some ethanol free fuel and chop down all my corn. Weeds too. Thanks for the help guys. mtmuley

I got a Stihl this morning. Now I'll feed it some ethanol free fuel and chop down all my corn. Weeds too. Thanks for the help guys. mtmuley

Good call mtmuley. I have a 56 and a 40 and they both run like champs. Its funny you mentioned smashing your old one. . .I had been going through the Weedeater brand for a couple of summers (3) to be exact. . .anyway with a baseball swing against the tree I put the last one down for good. . . .Stihl purchased the next morning. No regrets so far.

I used the cheap crap for years and finally smartened up and bought a Stihl. I have four Stihl chainsaws which have never failed and now the weedeater appears to be the same. The name brands-Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo- cost quite a bit, but will outlast all the others. The problem with the cheapos is that they cost more to repair than they are even worth. Go with a good trimmer and take care of it and you won't regret it.

OK, I just smashed the cheapo POS weed wacker (string trimmer) into pieces. It's hot out, and the damn thing hasn't worked right in a couple years. I am going to buy a new one tomorrow. I know Lawnboy should have some insight, but what do you guys use? I'm thinking Stihl. Man was I mad! mtmuley

...maybe should have tested it for moALR (minute of accubond long range);)

I know you have already purchased, but I looked at the warranty on the Stihl and Echo and Echo is 5 years.
That made my choice easy.

I bought a six pack of Stihl oil and they upped my warranty to 4 years, I need the oil anyway for my saws too. I feel like I got a pretty good deal. Echo stuff isn't even sold in my town, so a 45 mile drive would have been involved. In this instance, I didn't want to wait. Stupid weeds and grass never quit growing. mtmuley

Crap, thanks to Lawnboy I noticed the last two times I filled up it was with gasohol. :eek: Never noticed the little label on the pump before - kind of like that word you never heard before and now that you know it suddenly it's everywhere! (excepting anything noharley says of course). Luckily, the place I normally fill up (19th and Durston) only has ethanol in their mid grade -- no wonder it is always so busy.

Alright here I go. You can't go wrong with Stihl. I'm currently using Echo and have 7 of them. Stihls are just a bit heavy for all the trimming we do. They are great trimmers though and will serve you well. Like Shmalts said almost any 2 cycle equipment eventually has issues. I find in trimmers the carbon build up is the culprit. Once it starts running like crap start another thread and I'll talk you through several fixes. The gas we get to use now sucks. Thanks to Obama we get to use ethanol which is destroying everything. That little primer bulb will crack and leak in a year because of it. If you can, buy fuel without it. Most fuel will begin to go bad in 30 days so don't try to store gallons of it all summer.
If you have a Stihl dealer close go see him. I'm not real familiar with all their models but spending some money now on a " better than homeowner" model will pay dividends. At the end of the year put in some fresh fuel and stabilizer and run it so it gets the treated fuel in the carb. If you do this it will fire up every spring like a champ.

I will trim more on Monday than most homewoners will do in a year so I know these trimmers will last a homeowner to the grave if taken care of. Good luck and remember the fuel and stabilizer. Oh and always use high octane fuel in those things. They run a lot better on it. Good luck.

+1 for Lawnboy, the fuel stabilizer and octane boost if can't get premium fuel. E 85 bad for for 2cycle engines, boat motors, lawn mowers, chain saws and snow mobiles.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newhunter2
Back