Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Need new spotter(f*@#ing thief)

ccc23454

Ok guys need some help spending my money. As mentioned in my fall review my spotter and tripod got stolen duting a elk hunt in wyoming. Funny thing is i am more mad about there being a thief around my hunting spot than actual loss of scope(20-60razor). I did like the higher end tripod it was mounted on and planned on using it forever. I had been planning adding a set of the 18x56uhd razors this offseason but am now thinking i need to replace my big spotter (have 11-33razor, use a lot). The stolen razor was fine but truley wasnt nothing spectacultor at long distance. Dont have a lot locally to look thru so what should i buy, it will be my last big spotter so quality and clarity is king not cost. My first thought was swaros but dont understand all the model differences. Give me some advice so i can start saving and looking for deals. And if anyone sees a used beat to hell razor with neoprene cover for sale likely from PA address let me know...son of bit@#es

Edited/added: needs to be straight scope due to neck injury
Thanks,
C

I'm very happy with the Meopta I ordered from Schmalts earlier this year. Set it up next to a buddies swaro and spent time looking at objects from a lot of different distances. Still really happy with the Meopta after that.

It would be nice if vortex had UHD razor...i can get the razor for only $1200 new(glass shows why) but i can abuse it and never worry about breaking it cause of warrenty. The swaro is 2-3x that and doesnt have warranty for me abusing it and worry it may effect me using it as to not not break it. Example; this spring was glassing bears on a rocky ridge and huge gust of wind nocked over my razor when i had stepped away and i was mad i would have to climb down about 15' to get it didnt even worry about if it was broke, and it wasnt. Does anyone offer a any reason warrenty in a top shelf optic? You guys have me looking at the STX or maybe a STS, but is so much money that takes one drop to ruin....

I’d put the big Kowa, Swaro STX, maybe Televid, and Meopta all on a credit card and send back the three you can live without. Lots of used options too for a better value, but if you’re going for the top of the heap you might as well go for it.

In my experience Swaro has gone above and beyond on repairs and cleaning. They replaced an eyepiece for free on a demo spotter I bought, and have spruced up my SLC HD’s several times for no charge.

Leaning towards a 80mm sts with the 25-50 wide angle lens around $3k, anyone have one with the wideangle? Now i got to find a tripod and one hell of a sale...lol. thanks for help guys

Kowa 883/884. There's nothing better. Eurooptic and Bear basin Outfitters usually have the best prices. TE-11WZ is 25-60 wide angle lens you want. All total $3k. I run the SIRUI T-1205x tripod with VA-5 head.

Leaning towards a 80mm sts with the 25-50 wide angle lens around $3k, anyone have one with the wideangle? Now i got to find a tripod and one hell of a sale...lol. thanks for help guys
I own the 25-50 wide angle and have looked through the 20-60 a lot. I definitely prefer the wide angle.

I have a STS 80 HD with the 25-50 wide angle. Also has the Swarovski three piece cover. I was going to send it in to Swarovski for a clean up then sell it in the spring and get the STX. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
Btx in any objective if you plan on using it a lot. No eye fatigue hours and hours behind mine. Honestly anything Swarovski is worth the money. I have a 95mm btx with the 1.7 magnifier and my buddy has the 65mm ats and the clarity is about the same. As said here plenty of times but once cry once.

Having had Swarovski, vortex, leupold, and the meopta s2 id go the meopta s2 82mm if glassing close to the vehicle. I’d take the leupold gold ring HD 12-40x60 if packing it

Another vote for the Swaro STX, or a used STS if you want to be a little more frugal. I’ve seen used STS in our local classifieds for 2000 or even 1800. If you go the STS route I would definitely get the HD version.

Never tried them but have buddies that swear by Meopta.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back