We will take your truck.

I see soccer mom's all the time driving around in Jeep Rubicons. Most never see lockers in their life. I shake my head all the time because of it. I can see them in a Jeep, buy why pay the extra 10k to haul the kids to practice and buy groceries?

Yeah, that's popular for soccer mom's here as well. (Jeep Rubicons). Here it will never really even see snow let alone leave the pavement. I would think there are more comfortable cars to drive around town.

I also don't understand the big lifts and the oversize tires. By the time you have that done they can barely pull a trailer even with a big diesel engine and giant smoke stacks.

The best hunting vehicle I ever had was a 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport. With the back seat folded down I could sleep in the back and the 4.0 engine is damned near bullet proof. I took that thing into some god awful hell holes and I never got stuck. The gas mileage was decent enough for it to have gone cross country quite a few times with my Great Dane.
what color was it?

I see soccer mom's all the time driving around in Jeep Rubicons. Most never see lockers in their life. I shake my head all the time because of it. I can see them in a Jeep, buy why pay the extra 10k to haul the kids to practice and buy groceries?

My wife has a Rubicon that we got her. She’s always wanted one, so we finally pulled the trigger on a low miles used model. I keep asking her to let me drive it like God intended. So far, that hasn’t happened.

Edit: I think Sawtooth saw her Jeep as muddy as it’s ever been 😁

Last edited by a moderator:
I would venture a guess that 90% of 4x4 trucks and jeep type vehicles never even see a dirt road. I suspect it's just a status thing.
When I bought my current truck it was used but looked brand new, not a scratch anywhere.
The first time we took it hunting just 4 moths later my wife just shook her head when she saw all the scratches down both sides and asked why we bothered to get such a pretty truck. I just said that's what trucks are for. I did the same thing with an almost new 4x4 Suburban.

It's not just truck people. I was fishing with a buddy in his boat one day when it started to rain he said we need to hurry up and go back to the boat landing. I said why and he said that he didn't want his boat getting wet (keep in mind that this was a john boat with no carpet or wood decks). I quickly pointed out that it was in the water.

I had

1 1965 Jeep Wagoneer with inline 6 and 3 speed manual was ok but not great

2 1956 CJ 6 long box with a 1963 Lark/Hawk v63 wR1 Studebaker V8 It also had a home made winch made out of a 12 volt air plain starter. Lots of power

3 1999 Jeep Larado with 4.0 and Auto trans. We had 4 200 lb+ guys, a cow elk, 6 point bulls head on the roof and the rest of the bull in the back. Lets just say it dug every low spot

4 2000 jeep grand cherokee limited 318 v8 Auto trans not as good as the 1999 Larado and the v8 less power than the 4.0 inline 6. but it did go off road well

5 not a jeep but a 1971 toyota land cruiser fj40 the inline 6 was a peace of junk, and it got about 10 miles per gal, but it would go up almost any hill.

Reactions: LCH
We take my truck 95% of the time. Mine is the newest truck (2017) in the group right now and I will take it wherever I need to go. Others have older trucks that are almost perfect. I carry tow straps, tire chains, jumper cables, tarps, game bags, water and lots of other things that I may or may not need. Others tell me they will not fill their truck up with all of that junk. It isn't junk it is what I need to hunt with.
Most days they want to take my truck in case we get something we won't have to return to camp for a back pack, or game bags or a who knows what. I prefer being in mine since I feel I have what I need and if the road is brushy or muddy oh well we just keep going.

I have actually been on hunts where guys would wash their truck in the middle of a hunt even though the roads are covered in mud or snow. They cannot stand to see mud on their 4 wheel drive trucks.

My buddy has a new 150 FX4 that he is not afraid to take in the nasty where we go and it is his daily driver. I hate payments and figured out that I can lease a Jetta ($150 a month total) for regular duties and get almost 40 mpg and spend a little on a hunting truck for all the truck duties. I got a good deal on Doug and he has proven himself so far, ESPECIALLY at +-$2K. I am just gonna keep Doug and put money as needed in him. I like not even thinking about the body. The fact that Doug is giving about 16mpg sweetens the deal :)

Attachments

• 20181017_153214.jpg
    20181017_153214.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 68

My truck is 13 Ram 2500, 6.7 cummins and 6 speed manual transmission, currently with 138K miles. Not afraid to take her anywhere and she has the scars to prove it and I love all the creature comforts inside from the heated steering wheel and heated/ventilated leather seats to the nav system. Since I can chain up all 4 tire I guess that its makes it a real truck. I also mounted a front hitch for a winch for self recovery.

I hate payments and figured out that I can lease a Jetta ($150 a month total) for regular duties and get almost 40 mpg and spend a little on a hunting truck for all the truck duties. I got a good deal on Doug and he has proven himself so far, ESPECIALLY at +-$2K. I am just gonna keep Doug and put money as needed in him.

Good plan. Even if something breaks that costs $1,000 to fix, that only equals 2 car payments these days. Probably less for these tools with their gap insurance.

Back